New bookshelves to replace Q Acoustics 2050i

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello, I am in process of trying to replace my current front speakers. Currently I have a pair of Q Acoustics 2050i , wharfedale sub, AV Onkyo 818. In my short list I am considering the following: SVS prime, Dynaudio EMIT 10 and Sonus Faber principia 1 or 3. Last Saturday I had the chance to listen to 2 of this in different places, the SVS and the principia 1. The SVS sounded good with tons of detail but the overall result did not impress me very much, maybe I was expecting too much based on reviews. On the other hand the Sonus Faber principia 1 which cost the same sounded very well connected to a Marantz amp, very refined and balanced. Unfortunatelly I could not test the principia 3. Does anyone have any experiences they can share? I can not find reviews of principa 1 or 3 and I have the feeling that the principia 1 may be too small to replace my floorstanders. My room is about 22 sq meters and the speakers would be placed in shelves above TV with distance of 3,5 meters between them. Thanks.

matthewpiano

For small stand-mount speakers with a good scale of sound, the Dynaudios are very hard to beat, and offer terrific value for money. My DM2/6 are the predecessor of the Emit 10 and after 4 years of ownership I still love them.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Thansk Mathewpiano, I was really interested in those but unfortunately did not have the chance to listen to them. I have some small concerns thougth, one is that the central channel of the EMIT range is very expensive together with the cost of the EMIT itself which is already 100 more than the Sonus Faber. The other is that the bass-reflex port is at the back and they are going to be placed right against the wall. The SF on the other hand has a very smart desing where the bass port is at the bottom. Anyway, I still consider them as an option and I hope to be able to listen to them but they would really have to be way better than the others in order to be the final choice.

rendu said:
Hello, I am in process of trying to replace my current front speakers. Currently I have a pair of Q Acoustics 2050i , wharfedale sub, AV Onkyo 818. In my short list I am considering the following: SVS prime, Dynaudio EMIT 10 and Sonus Faber principia 1 or 3. Last Saturday I had the chance to listen to 2 of this in different places, the SVS and the principia 1. The SVS sounded good with tons of detail but the overall result did not impress me very much, maybe I was expecting too much based on reviews. On the other hand the Sonus Faber principia 1 which cost the same sounded very well connected to a Marantz amp, very refined and balanced. Unfortunatelly I could not test the principia 3. Does anyone have any experiences they can share? I can not find reviews of principa 1 or 3 and I have the feeling that the principia 1 may be too small to replace my floorstanders. My room is about 22 sq meters and the speakers would be placed in shelves above TV with distance of 3,5 meters between them. Thanks.

The issue will be the scale. Going from floorstanders to standmounts, what you lose in LFs you'll gain with dynamics and precision.

I know someone on here had your amp with Tannoy. Try and audition Precision range. I've heard the 6.1 (I think) and they punched well above their price range. Should work a treat with your Onkyo.

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I use the principia 3 in my living room 2.0 setup on the matching speakerstands. I got them after a direct comparison with Dali's, PSB, Q Acoustics, Boston, KEF, Monitor Audio, B&W and some other brands all in the same pricerange. Reason I went with the 3 over the 1 is they also are for movies. Their low end is incredible, not a downgrade after owning Dali Zensor 7. Principia 1 is still great though specially if you want them on a shelf. Btw when I google on "Principia 3 test" I get 4 or 5 nice reviews. You might want to use translate to understand some of the German/Polish reviews.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the advise, unfortunately those are definetly out of my range, even the 6.1 are already around 900 pounds. Then, the cheaper range like Mercury would not be on the same level.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Nelis87 said:
I use the principia 3 in my living room 2.0 setup on the matching speakerstands. I got them after a direct comparison with Dali's, PSB, Q Acoustics, Boston, KEF, Monitor Audio, B&W and some other brands all in the same pricerange. Reason I went with the 3 over the 1 is they also are for movies. Their low end is incredible, not a downgrade after owning Dali Zensor 7. Principia 1 is still great though specially if you want them on a shelf. Btw when I google on "Principia 3 test" I get 4 or 5 nice reviews. You might want to use translate to understand some of the German/Polish reviews.

This is great information, I really appreciate it. In my case, I already have a subwoofer (crossover at 40hz), and they are going to be on a 27cm depth shelf against the wall. This is why it would be difficult choice between the 1 or 3. It is not so much about money because the principia 3 are only 80 pound more than the principia 1.

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Backwall placement is not a big issue because of the way the bass port works (down/front). If you are keen on keeping the subwoofer the 1 would be the best choice. It depends on the shelf though. I would not put my speakers on a thin IKEA shelf, but if your shelf is a heavy hard wood shelf it should be fine. I have not heard them next to Dynaudio so all I can say the SF Principia is a fine speaker. I got my Principia 3 for the price of the 1's, so there is room for negotiation.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Concept 20s might be a possibility, with the Kef R100s being a step up.....and the LS50s are a step up again. The Concept 20s are best sounding standmount speakers that I've heard at the price.

FWIW. I also think that Dynaudio and SF are a good shout.

insider9

My concern would be placement. I don't know the details so please by all means share.

On one hand you're prepared to spend money to improve sound quality. On the other hand the way you intend to place the speakers is very likely to negatively impact on it. What you'll get is a compromise and not the full benefit of this upgrade and at a relatively steep price. Is there no way for you to use stands in some free space?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
We haven't seen your room of course, but I can't help feel from the information you've given to us that no matter what speakers you buy their performance is going to be compromised by being 'positioned on a shelf above the TV', not least because presumably that's putting them way above ear height, unless you normally site your TV on the floor and look down at it. It reminds me of the point I raised yesterday in Insider9's room acoustics thread, where people can spend loads of money replacing equipment in a continous cycle of 'buy > short-term thrill > indifference > look for new stuff' when the root of the problem ultimately lays elsewhere.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
The Concept 20s might be a possibility, with the Kef R100s being a step up.....and the LS50s are a step up again. The Concept 20s are best sounding standmount speakers that I've heard at the price.

Thanks, Concept 20 could also be an option, I will try to listen to them. I have never been too happy with my current 2050i because the bass is not tight which makes the overall sound a bit muddy. I would definetly need to demo.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Regarding speaker placement, I know it may have negative impact, same as placing agains the wall. However, my floorstanders do not give a very good sound already and they are well possitioned. In fact one of the main problems is that you really need to sit right in front of them, otherwise the sound is muddled. When you are anywhere else in the room the treble and the beat completely disapears. Replacing floorstanders with stands would not be an option in this case. I am not really looking for upgrade so much, I would describe it more as an improvement of living room asthetichs without loosing much in sound quality. I would post a pic if I knew how...

insider9

rendu said:
However, my floorstanders do not give a very good sound already and they are well possitioned. In fact one of the main problems is that you really need to sit right in front of them, otherwise the sound is muddled. When you are anywhere else in the room the treble and the beat completely disapears.

If that's the case my first suggestion would be to get just about any other speakers that fit the shelf and see how they sound before you spend any money. Have you got someone who could lend you a pair for a test?

What you're decribing sounds like either your room contributes so much to the sound that a speaker upgrade is not a solution to your problem or that the speakers are faulty. Has it always been like this? Have you demoed the speakers before buying?

EDIT

Scratch that. Could you perhaps try your Dali Ikons in the position you mention and see how they sound?

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
rendu said:
However, my floorstanders do not give a very good sound already and they are well possitioned. In fact one of the main problems is that you really need to sit right in front of them, otherwise the sound is muddled. When you are anywhere else in the room the treble and the beat completely disapears.

If that's the case my first suggestion would be to get just about any other speakers that fit the shelf and see how they sound before you spend any money. Have you got someone who could lend you a pair for a test?

What you're decribing sounds like either your room contributes so much to the sound that a speaker upgrade is not a solution to your problem or that the speakers are faulty. Has it always been like this? Have you demoed the speakers before buying?

EDIT

Scratch that. Could you perhaps try your Dali Ikons in the position you mention and see how they sound?

Yes, I had demoed the Q acoustics and they have always been like this. Do not take me wrong, they are great speakers and have served me well over these 2 and half years. Just like every other speaker they have strengths and weaknesses.

Regarding Dali Ikons, I used to have them in the living room before the floorstanders. This is why I know that putting speakers in those shelfs will work ok, with some compromises, provided I choose the speakers right. Now the Dali´s are in a separate room and I would like to keep them there.

Just a note on these, as they are not imported to the UK, so we only get the more costly Chameleon models. I believe they have the same working parts, but lack the Chameleon's changeable decor panels.

As a long term former user of SF I have a high regard for their designs, and you are getting an affordable model from a high-end maker, if that appeals to you.

Otherwise, you've had good suggestions about other QA models, KEF (the new Q series look promising), Dali and Dynaudio. Good luck!

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Very interesting, I was not aware that the principia range did not sale in the UK. That explains why so few reviews... ;-)

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
But of course only if money will stretch. I have mine on shelves and they are perfect. Rear ported but forget that as they are meant for shelves and wall mounting and are designed as such. Great sound and soundstage and your sub will provide that extra bit of bottom end. You can get "slight seconds" for around £450. I got slight seconds and couldn't find fault with tehm.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Seems hes going from floor standers, dont you think the 300s would be a good shout.
2nd hand though as new too much bucks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts