New Amp Under £750

tansriloi

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Looking to purchase a brand new amp after recently sold my old amp. I got a Monitor Audio RS 6 speaker.

I have a few choices in mind which includes Rega Brio-r, Audiolab 8200a and Creek Evo 50a. Which amp would be a good mAtch for my system? I listen to vocals, jazz and pop. Love something punchy and detail.

Current CD player NAD C542, Van Den Hul CS122 speaker cable, Chord Chameleon Silver Plus Interconnect.

Small to medium size listening area approx not more than 4x5m.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I had the RS6 for a long time and made the mistake of upgrading all my equipment except the speakers, when that should have been the first thing I did.

They are pretty good speakers but ultimately they'll limit your system, I certainly wouldn't throw £750 at an amp for them.

I feel you'd be better off selling the speakers and adding it to your budget, then look at amp & speakers.

Do you really need floorstanders ?

tansriloi

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I am going to keep my RS6, not going to sell them. I got another set of speaker Dynaudio X12 which I Swap around depends on the type of music that I am listening. Ultimately, I need to purchase an amp to keep things going.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Find the speakers you want, then get an amp that can drive them properly.

Exactly what you have done. You have two pairs of speakers.

If you like the RS6, keep them.

Everyone has an opinion on speakers, doesn't mean they are correct.

If you can, demo all the amps you are considering with your speakers.

Again, everyone has an opinion about amps.

I don't know much about the ones you have mentioned, but from what I have read maybe the Creek.

FennerMachine said:
Find the speakers you want, then get an amp that can drive them properly.

Exactly what you have done. You have two pairs of speakers.

If you like the RS6, keep them.

Everyone has an opinion on speakers, doesn't mean they are correct.

If you can, demo all the amps you are considering with your speakers.

Again, everyone has an opinion about amps.

I don't know much about the ones you have mentioned, but from what I have read maybe the Creek.

I'd be tending towards the Creek to. I would strongly recommend looking around for ex-demo stuff and save quite a bit of money on an amp that has had little use, unless you absolutely must have brand new.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Creek 50A was the best amp. in that price range I heard, I would avoid the Audiolab.

Abrahamsen are getting good reviews from owners, think they are about £600, maybe worth considering?

BigH said:
Creek 50A was the best amp. in that price range I heard, I would avoid the Audiolab.

Abrahamsen are getting good reviews from owners, think they are about £600, maybe worth considering?

The Creek has very good upgrade module options and should last a good while, personally I also like it's looks as well as how it sounds.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:

Buy one for £699 in a year or two's time upgrade it to the UP version for a sensational amp. Cost £250.

I've owned RS6s for longer than I care to remember, ignore the naysayers. I knw from personal experience they really do shine with top-notch amplification.

Before I changed to PMCs I had the RS6 powered by a Leema Pulse. Immensely impressive.

Do avoid any amp that'll provoke fatigue, like Naim, Audiolab, Cyrus....

Look at Creek (preferably the older Evo2), Roksan Kandy or Caspian, Arcam A38 (s/hand only now) or any good class A amp.

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I agree with PP, it's a great speaker if matched well. I'd recommend adding the Marantz PM8005 to the shortlist, a bargain for £650. I used the Pearl Lite with RS6's and it sounded great IMO, the newer amp should be even better for them.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Some good suggestions already but also take a look at NVA. AP20 comes in at £400 or a P50 with a pair of A40 monoblocks comes in at £680. I know sound is subjective but I don't think you will get anything else that comes close to NVA. The only thing is that you must use NVA cables with their amps. No bad thing though as their cables are top notch.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
james_LR90 said:
Some good suggestions already but also take a look at NVA. AP20 comes in at £400 or a P50 with a pair of A40 monoblocks comes in at £680. I know sound is subjective but I don't think you will get anything else that comes close to NVA. The only thing is that you must use NVA cables with their amps. No bad thing though as their cables are top notch.

I've always been interested in the NVA range, I've seen their stuff on eBay. What is it like compared to other brands?

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
wilro15 said:
james_LR90 said:

I've always been interested in the NVA range, I've seen their stuff on eBay.  What is it like compared to other brands?

NVA is VERY neutral sounding and digs up detail like nothing else. its hard to describe the sound but I have had three NVA amps and they just sound right. Take a look at the hifi subjectivist forum there is plenty of NVA talk on there! With the 30 day return policy there is nothing to lose by trying one of their amps. If you are near Manchester you are welcome to hear mine.

TRENDING THREADS