Hi there, new to the forums

MacPro

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi, just joined the forums after some time using them as a great source of information on hifi. Everyone seems quite knowledgeable and helpful, so I now have a question of my own, particularly concerning integrated amps. I am thinking of replacing my Cambridge Audio 650A with a Creek Evo 50A integrated amp. Would the differences be small for the price given what I am running now, and I would be better off with different IC's and upgraded mains?

Currently I am running the 650A, with a Squeezebox Touch, Moon 100d dac, Moon 110LP phono preamp, Project Xpression Carbon w 2m bronze turntable, Epos Élan 30 speakers, and a Paradigm Sub10 subwoofer. Kimber PBJs for interconnects, and Audioquest type4 for speaker cable. Fairly large room (18x14x9) which is open at rear to the rest of the house. Main music listening is classic rock, I guess that includes some stuff from the eighties now, some country, and some jazz. Nothing more than 85db on occasion as regular listening. Have not been able to turn the volume up past 11:00 on the volume pot without it being too loud.

i have tried a moon neo 220i and found sweeter open highs, but a lack of bass compared to the Cambridge. So I am concerned if would find similar with the Creek when A-B'd with the Cambridge given the lower power rating. Although the Creek is supposed to be a better component. It's a bit confusing, so I am asking for help..

Thanks

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Welcome, personally l I'd take the Creek. Certainly don't waste money on new IC's. If I were you I'd look second hand and be clever a Leema Pulse would be a great £430 second hand buy. Look out side the box and you could obtain great sound for given budget. Enjoy.

MacPro

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I will stay with the Cambridge at the moment. I have placed Van Den Hul ICs from my phono preamp and an upgraded power cord for the 650A, the result has been a pleasing rich sound with the Cambridge and Epos combo in my room.

Perhaps later on I will look at the CA 851A or the Evo 100A and demo those. Which will likely be a bigger step up than the one I was intially contemplating.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts