Time to upgrade

markyb81

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Moving house soon to a place with a dedicated listening room (4m x 3.25m) and am thinking about potential upgrades to my current system. My system consists of a marantz 6002 cd player, rega brio amp, dali lecktor 1 speakers connected by a van den hul the bay C5 interconnect and QED silver anniversery XT speaker cables. The speakers are on Atacama stands and the rest of the kit is on an Atacama rack. The system is over 5 years old now and the speakers were bought to be put in awkward positions in the current house. Music I listen to includes Elbow, Radiohead, Boards of Canada, Feist, Lykke Li if that helps.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Any budget in mind?

Indeed.

At first sight it looks to me as though the speakers are due for upgrade. As you (the OP) say, you bought them to do a job in a particular space. The new space will by the sound of it be quite different and bring a whole different set of possible speakers into play.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about upgrading the cdp. Speakers you could try Dali Zensor 3s which are about £300. Amp. should be OK still. Don't think you will get much of an upgrade for £500 unless you buy used.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Your existing kit is going to sound completely different in a dedicated room where you can tailor the seating and speaker position. I would re-assess what you have before deciding what, if anything, needs upgrading. In a thread like this people will just throw names of stuff they own at you which I don't think will help much.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Best thing to do is arrange some demos at hifi dealers, I would tend to avoid dealers like Richer Sounds, Seven Oaks canbe OK, then when you have found something you like to have a home demo if possible or at least a decent return policy.

markyb81

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice so far. I guess what I'm looking for is a general consensus as to what the weak link in the chain is. I have a nagging feeling that if I spent £500 on some bigger speakers the system would be more suitable for the new room, So I guess the question is what speakers would slip in to my existing system?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Well your new room is not very large so some standmounts like the Dali Zensor 3 should be OK or you could look at the Kef R100s. Really you need to hear them as speakers do have different sounds which may or may not suit your tastes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts