Speaker matching advice sought

YiannisK

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Good morning :)

I would be grateful for your advice... I am trying to create a short list (2-3 brands) of standmount speakers to go and audition with my Rega Elicit-R. I will certainly audition of course but I first need to narrow down the list. This is where I am a bit confused and would appreciate your advice.

I am primarily looking for a relatively laid back speaker when it comes to the upper midrange (vocals and cymbals). I am currently using the Rega Elicit-R with Monitor Audio RX1s and whilst they have a lovely dynamic low end, the vocals and cymbals can be a bit forward. They are not overly bright though, just a bit more forward than I would like. Considering their relative low cost they are doing just fine but I would really like to upgrade to a speaker that keeps the low end dynamics but hopefully presents a more laid back upper end without brightness.

My space is relatively limited so I am looking at something the size of the Kef r100 / Monitor Audio S1 / Dynaudio X14 etc.

My living room is (unfortunately) laminate flooring, Glass balcony door, minimal decor (so not overly furnished). I know this enhances the brightness and / or forward cymbals etc. I am not at the moment looking to modify the room with the exception of adding a rug to (perhaps?) make things a bit smoother. The living room size is 5m x 4m. Speakers are on stands, 1 m from side walls, 30 cm distance between speaker port and back wall (I am not getting any boomy bass which is great).

the system is: Sonos Connect > Naim Dac V1 > (Van Den Hul C5 rca interconnect) Rega Elicit-R > (Chord Odyssey II speaker cables) Monitor Audio RX1.

I occasionally use the Naim Dac V1 as a preamp feeding the power section of the Elicit-R (great results)

Budget range: £700-£1400

What standmount speakers should I be considering for audion in order to achieve a more laid back upper register?

Many thanks

Yiannis

YiannisK

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Great list, many thanks!

I was actually thinking of the Kef r100. Do you think their bass performance / low end is comparable to the RX1?

You don't say where abouts in the world you are Yiannis but I would tend to echo most of CnoEvil's list but I'd guess, unless you went second-hand, some of them would be hard to get in your budget and a few of them hard to audition.

Also I'd add Usher to the list.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. Speakers that have the traits you are after:

- Sonus Faber (Toy/Venere)

- Spendor (especially Classic series)

- Harbeth

- Opera

- Kef R series

- Rega

- Epos

YiannisK

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I live in Cardiff so there are a few places where I can audition even though I might not be able to test everything. I am not against going second hand but that comes with risk of course :).

matthewpiano

I also agree with Cno's list of brands. Although both are below the lower end of your budget range I would suggest considering the Rega RS1 and the Dynaudio DM2/6. Both have superb treble performance, with the Regas being slightly more open than the Dynaudios, in all likelihood due to the fact that their bass, whilst very capable for the size of speaker, doesn't bloat as that of the Dyns can. You might also wish to explore the forthcoming new Rega RX1 model, which is going to be a step up the price ladder.

Sonus Faber is a good call but, compared to your existing MAs, you may well find the Toy standmount slightly bass light. It is a lovely speaker and should pair very well with your Rega amp, but it will all depend where you find the comfortable balancing point in the overall sound as whether or not it would suit your personal requirements.

Within your budget, the speaker I would really urge you to hear would be the Spendor S3/5r2. Balanced, involving, musical and responds very well to an amp that can really grip it.

YiannisK

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Thankyou very much for the great advice. I will certainly audition the spendors after this strong recommendation. The Kef r100 also look very interesting but i just noticed they are a 4 year old model. Is it likely they will be replaced soon?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
All the R Series produce more bass than you would expect for their size, the difficulty that some people have is controlling it. I can't comment on how it fares against the RX1, as I generally don't like the sound of MA speakers, so don't seek them out for a listen.

FWIW. When I was looking at getting the R100s, I listened to the LS50s as well. IMO. The LS50s were so much better in every aspect, that I ended forking out the extra.

The list I gave, are all speakers on the smoother side, but there are differences within that group. One speaker that I really liked and feel would suit your taste is the (now defunct) Spendor SA1, but my only caveat would be whether it would give enough bass for you in that size of room. Though saying that, the mid/treble has the most influence as to whether you can actually sit in a room and enjoy a speaker.

The smoothest speakers on the list would be the SF Toys and Spendor Classics, closely followed by Harbeth (which are a little livelier, while still retaining an innate musicality). These speakers are possibly better for the more genteel forms of music.

For a more eclectic taste in music, especially on the bass driven, ballsier side, maybe brands like Kef would be more versatile. The New Rega speakers could also be worth bearing in mind. The SF Venere have been given a more "modern" voicing compared to the more "traditional" SF sound, which was more old school.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
YiannisK said:
Thankyou very much for the great advice. I will certainly audition the spendors after this strong recommendation. The Kef r100 also look very interesting but i just noticed they are a 4 year old model. Is it likely they will be replaced soon?

If there is a new model in the pipeline, it will most likely be kept under wraps. As far as I'm aware, the New Refs were a complete secret right up to their launch, which shows that Kef can keep things quiet. If you like them, get them...they are very good and work with Rega.

rainsoothe

CnoEvil said:
IMO. Speakers that have the traits you are after:

- Sonus Faber (Toy/Venere)

- Spendor (especially Classic series)

- Harbeth

- Opera

- Kef R series

- Rega

- Epos

This list is pretty good. I don't know the Operas, and i think the lates Epos models aren't that smooth (auditioned the K1 at least, and it was a bit forward). Sonus Faber Toy/Venere, Kef R100/300, Harbeth and Rega are the ones to look at. When I auditioned the Spendor SA1 i found them a little boxy, but maybe it was the bat partnering with the Rotel I tried them with.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
This list is pretty good. I don't know the Operas, and i think the lates Epos models aren't that smooth (auditioned the K1 at least, and it was a bit forward). Sonus Faber Toy/Venere, Kef R100/300, Harbeth and Rega are the ones to look at. When I auditioned the Spendor SA1 i found them a little boxy, but maybe it was the bat partnering with the Rotel I tried them with.

I haven't heard the latest Epos, so you may well be right.

The SA1s are very dependant on room size. I first heard them in a small demo room at the dealer. I was so impressed that the dealer let me take them for a home dem.

I then tried them in a room that was much bigger and they sounded totally lost and weedy, so they went straight back They can sound wonderful in the right set of circumstances....but the LS50s are better overall (imo).

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I would agree that the Kef LS50s are a better speaker than the Kef 100 by a long shot but r100s would fit in easier.

however if your looking at r series then test an r300 the jump in sound is big.....and ifyou look at 2nd hand there are good deals to be had..

Oh almost forgot I never liked kef and was going to buy Dynaudio DM2/7s from richer sounds blind but they were damaged so went next door to superfi and the saleslady showed me the kef r100s and i tested them against Monitor audio silver 2(i think) and gold 50s and the kefs stood out more - to me it sounded like a blanket was over the monitor audios compared to the kef.

and that was the r100

TRENDING THREADS