New Amp: Musical Fidelity KW500

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Well I have just got a KW500 amp to replace my Arcam P1's.

CD system is now the following....

Marantz BD5004 -Van Den Hul Dig/Coax- MF KW DM25 (DAC) -Van Den Hul Ult- MF KW500 -Van Damme 6mm Blue- GS60's

My word this is a beast, weight is a total of 45kg, this has had both the MF upgrade and the JS audio upgrade before I bought it. I wasn't sure on how uch of an improvement I would get but I knew it would be different.

First thing you notice is the attack and punch that the amp gives to the start of notes, it has a grip on the Monitor Audio GS60's that the Arcams could only dream of. Bass is off the chart, hits hard and deep being musical at the same time. The midrange is smooth and full of detail, voices can be soft, angry, gritty dependant on what is needed and are always part of the music. Highs have lost the hard edge that they could have with the P1's (not sure it was the P1's or the NAD T175 pre/pro) at the same time a little sparkle has gone but this makes longer listening much better.

Soundstage is wide and deep, listening to classical last night was fantastic, the speakers are lost in the music regardless of volume. Detail is much improved new parts of the recording can be heared (even comming over the top of existing ones).

I have not gone that loud yet but when 'next door' are away I am sure the temptation will get the better of me.

I only have two critisisums at the moment...

The lack of HT bypass input and poor volume control by remote.

Will post picture's soon.

Chris

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Nice choice there. I do agree that MF (or Antony I might say) have a few niche products that seems to be different than the majority of high end hifi companies. Thats one of the reason I really love about the MF.

Have fun with the new toy.

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
The other thing I don't get about them is the upgrade service?

What they are doing is saying; I would like to sell you this amp/cd/dac for (say £1000) but if you want we can make it better! give us another £500? and we will upgrade it.

Why not just make it better in the first place and sell for £1500?

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
cheyworth said:
The other thing I don't get about them is the upgrade service?

What they are doing is saying; I would like to sell you this amp/cd/dac for (say £1000) but if you want we can make it better! give us another £500? and we will upgrade it.

Why not just make it better in the first place and sell for £1500?

Chris

I suppose it's like what others do, except they go on selling you ever more expensive boxes....Naim springs to mind. At least this way your boxes don't beget other boxes. :)

I've read that it responds well to the right power cord, like something from Shunyata. ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts