New amp advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all ,first time post here. Looking to use your collective expertise if possible .

Looking to buy a new amp, currently have mission mx3 speakers. I want to streaky iTunes through an airport express, and ideally connect to the new amp within optical cable. Am working to a budget as have just moved house so a not cash rich. Looking at maximum of 300-400 .

Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the prompt reply. Looks like it has some good reviews and is on offer at richer sounds for 249 at moment. Do you have one of these by chance

Thanks Martin

A

Anonymous

Brilliant , have you got iTunes going through it as well

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't really use itunes.

I use Spotify some, and then all the DNLA connectivity.

Guess it would just be a case of connecting an Airport Express via optical and bob's your auntie's pet monkey.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The general consensus on here, I think, is that it would give amps up to £500 - 600 a pretty good run for their money (possibly).

I have no idea about the Mission MX3s, but would be surprised if it wouldn't drive them extremely well. Others on here might have direct experience of that pairing.

A

Anonymous

How do you find the quality off spotify then. Sometimes digital can sound a bit compressed, although to be honest am not using an optical cable at the moment

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Me neither - the amp runs Spotify, so there's no 3rd party hardware involved.

The sound on Spotify is very good. Some on here have complained about drop out rates, but I haven't been having that problem. Some have swapped to Napster (which this amp takes care of too). Even the last.fm stuff sounds OK, and that's at a lower bitrate I believe. The amp also does internet radio - the higher rate stations sound great too (16bit.fm main channel for acid/trance).

There's a very useable remote app for android and iphone too.

I'm no audiophile though - often happiest listening to my Pioneer A400 plugged into Cerwin Vega VS10s for LOUD RUDENESS!

What kind of music are you going to be listening to?

A

Anonymous

Classic rock really, just checked richer sounds and I can't get the amp for 249 unless I go to London.******......

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
http://www.exceptional-av.co.uk/product.php?fdProductId=756

Even at this money it's VFM as far as I can see.

Shame about Richer Sounds, cos at £250 it's OVFM (outstanding value for money).

Know anyone in London who could pick one up for you?

A

Anonymous

Nope,don't know any cockneys ....the link you gave me is it a reputable site then.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, anyone got an alternative around the 200-250 mark .......

A

Anonymous

Thanks for this, but looking at specs I'm not sure this has an optical in on it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts