New album releases

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

This came out yesterday and it's a cracker!

Cloud Nothings "The Shadow I Remember"

These guys definitely know what they're doing. Energetic, moody dissonance. Is it Indie Rock, is it Punk? I don't care. I only care there was more than 11 tracks spanning 32 minutes, so here goes another listen.

Cloud_Nothings__The_Shadow_I_Remember_cover_art.jpg

insider9

Lots to catch up on in this thread. Many excellent albums released recently. First up an early contender for album of the year.

This one's a cracker "Promise" by Floating Points / Pharaoh Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra

1617572732988.png

insider9

Next up, awaiting a release of a long play. I've been obsessing over this song since I first heard it a couple of days ago.

Silk Sonic with Leave the Door Open. If the rest of the album is as good as this single I can't see a better album coming out soon. Absolute masterclass in composition and production.

It's cheesy, it's smokey, it's hot. It's what we all needed a little bit of 70's. Love it!!!!!!!

1617572915206.png

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adLGHcj_fmA&ab_channel=BrunoMars

insider9

One from earlier this year that I missed. Back from late January.

New release from Steven Wilson "The Future Bites". Must admit I prefer his previous album but this is still very good.

1617573386811.png

Attachments

• 1617573255796.png
    1617573255796.png
    300.5 KB · Views: 1

insider9

What can I say... Greta Van Fleet 😁

Solid album! Had a quick look at how critics took to it and NME made fool of themselves with 2/5 rating. Particularly describing one of the best tracks on the album as "One track here covers almost no interesting ground in nine minutes, which pretty much says it all"

I'm not necessarily saying I'm in love with the album but I appreciate it a lot. My gripe would be with sound engineering more than artistry/musicianship. I think with a different producer the follow-up could be massive.

What are your thoughts @jjbomber ?

jjbomber

What are your thoughts @jjbomber ?
Just had the one listen. From the first bars you know they are a cut above most other bands out there. Sam is an incredible talent and he only turned 22 a fortnight ago. Pity he's not a twin as well to have bass and keyboards live. He may have to turn into Geddy Lee.

The last song, The Weight Of Dreams, is a 9 minute classic. That brought me straight back to this thread and how songs that build and build are making way for instant gratification with music listeners. No wonder today's impatient reviewers only give it 2/5. It's brilliant.

However the underlying feeling is what will these songs be like live? Their shows are really what the band are about, with a couple stretched out to 20 minutes. Which ones of these will get the treatment? We shall wait and see. My guess is The Weight Of Dreams at the 5 minute mark will get an extension.

The sense of excitement at one of their gigs is incredible. I was at Birmingham, and the crowd are from teenagers to wrinklies. Everyone loves them live, all ages. Currently they've sold over a million tickets, and trying to get a live ticket is like gold dust. I'm struggling to think of another young rock band who'll be headlining rock festivals in the future. Maybe The Struts in 10 years. In the here and now, there is only Greta Van Fleet.

Reactions: insider9

insider9

They remind me of this little know band called Soundgarden. The first two albums weren't particularly unique. Third was a superb but didn't really break down any barriers. And what they did on the fourth had huge impact on music overall. Everyone heard Black Hole Sun.

Trajectory for GvF isn't maybe the same why I think it'll take them and album of 2, maybe 3 to produce something universally appreciated, but the future looks bright.

Last edited:

insider9

Also out today Rhiannon Giddens "They're Calling Me Home" once again with Francesco Turisi.

Hoping it's the return to greatness of "Freedom Highway". I'll let you know as I'm about to put it on.

Rhiannon-Giddens.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts