New 5.1 Speakers or just Sub-Woofer

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can offer some advice. I have just got rid of my old Sony DAVS-500 after 11 years or faithful service and bought an Onkyo TXSR309.

My question is should I replace all the speakers with a new 5.1 package or just the subwoofer? I see that Richer Sounds have some packages in my budget (not a lot!) such as: Pioneer SHS100, Yamaha NSP285, Yamaha NSP40.

My old speakers seem OK with the new amp, if a little quiet.

Many thanks for any assistance.Ian

Many thanks for any assistance.

Ian 8)

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
MrE said:
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can offer some advice. I have just got rid of my old Sony DAVS-500 after 11 years or faithful service and bought an Onkyo TXSR309.

My question is should I replace all the speakers with a new 5.1 package or just the subwoofer?

My old speakers seem OK with the new amp, if a little quiet.

Many thanks for any assistance.Ian

Many thanks for any assistance.

Ian 8)

So what exactly are your old speakers & subwoofer you dont say in your question? It will be difficult to give any advice without knowing, as it may be you should have spent you money on a slightly better A/V amp.

Regards....

A

Anonymous

f1only said:
So what exactly are your old speakers & subwoofer you dont say in your question? It will be difficult to give any advice without knowing, as it may be you should have spent you money on a slightly better A/V amp.

Regards....

My old system was a one box AV amp and DVD player and the best specs I can come up with are

Amplifier - Front: 40w + 40w Centre: 40w Rear: 40w + 40w (6 ohms at 1 kHz) Subwoofer: 80w (3 ohms at 100Hz)
Speakers are Bass reflex 6 ohms apart from subwoofer which is 3 ohms.My budget wasn't massive which is why I went for the Onkyo which I thought would be good enough for the price.ThanksIanMy old system was a one box AV amp and DVD player and the best specs I can come up with are
Speakers are Bass reflex 6 ohms apart from subwoofer which is 3 ohms.

My budget wasn't massive which is why I went for the Onkyo which I thought would be good enough for the price.

Thanks

Ian

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi Ian,

Your old sub was obviously a passive type which will not work with your new set up.

I think you will notice an an improvement if you have a new speaker package.

If you look at Richersounds web site you will see a Tannoy system for £199 which may suit your budget. I have heard this in the home environment, and it is very effective, and extremely good value for money.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok so judging by what you have said in your 1st post, i would suggest you ring RS & ask if they can give you a demo of the amp you have already got, with a set of the Yamaha & a set of the Pioneer speakers you are interested in. I advise this to see which suits your listening taste best especially as this is at the budget end of speakers. For your demo I would go for the ones with the largest centres & subwoofers on the grounds it should give you a bigger feel of all round sound.

Another option for you is, have a look on the bay for a 2nd hand set of surround speakers in your local area so you can get a demo of them, you never know you may find a bargain. Just as a quick example clicky

Regards ... Paul

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, I'm off to Richer Sounds at lunchtime today to have a look at the Pioneer speakers. I have wired the XBox to the Onkyo and GTA 4 sounds amazing so am very excited about what it will be like with a bit of bass.

Cheers 8)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts