never knew how bad a ps3 was?

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i have just bought a full hd camcorder panasonic sd20 and had no where to store hd videos ,my laptop would not support avchd files so i bought a ps3 as a media centre and if my laptop breaks its a short term browser so far so good then can the bonus of a blu ray player again nice. Here's were it is shocking i have an xbox360 and i rented out a game on the ps3 to compare and the picture was as good but the sound was awful on my denon1909 i have the sound at -40db on the xbox360 but on the ps3 it needed to be set at -24 to get close and the detail was nowhere near it, plus online is a joke the lag u get from the ps3 is awful but then again thats the sony sever not the ps3 and the xbox360 is made by computer people so that explains that,my next test was a flying daggers on dvd my fav again xbox360 detail was good though my monitor audio br5's br centre and br1's denon1909 amp but play it through the ps3 and you have to crank the volume up simliar to sky hd and it sounded 85% of the xbox360, i will say though the picture was a touch better and the ps3 ran silent cause u cant install dvd's on the 360harddrive like games. so my main worry is i have 13 blu rays now and enjoy them but i know the ps3 is poor for audio could a stand alone blu ray offer crisper more detailed sound and not have to be driven as hard plus i guess i could see that magical hd light on my amp. would like to hear people views many thanks simon

A

Anonymous

Have a fiddle with the settings as ive never found any issues with the sound from the PS3,Its equal if not a smidgin better than the Xbox im my experience. How do you have them both connected??

A

Anonymous

Yeh ditto on the above, plus try putting the ps3's volume up which you can acess during a movie using the triangle button, have mine set to one digit before max.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
have the xbox wired via opitcal but tried the ps3 on both hdmi and opitcal and on every level and had four friends bought there ps3 round. i have the xbox elite what is no differant i think its mainly i just find the ps3 a bit of let down on the audio the picture well i cant see how a sub £400 stand alone could give better blu ray quailty i am sending the audio pcm linier something like that anyway is that the correct setting.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
If you're using optical, try Bitstream rather than Linear PCM.

If you're using HDMI and want the HD audio formats decoded onboard (i.e. you have an AV receiver which can accept multichannel PCM), then use Linear PCM with this connection. You may find on Blu-Rays that this appears slightly quieter than when using the Bitstream connection - this is normal, but you still should find that once the volume is increased accordingly, it sounds more detailed than the Bitstream format due to the higher bitrate available in the lossless soundtrack (at least I found that at any rate).

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I have a PS3 and 360 and I can't say I've noticed the sound being inferior on the PS3. In fact, the Blu-rays I watched on the PS3 before I got a dedicated BD player sounded really good!

Different items of source equipment often have lower/higher default sound volume output - I have to crank the volume up a bit with the Pioneer Blu-ray player to match the 360 (which does seem to put out quite a high volume).

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
thanks does your poineer blu ray at low levels say night time while the little ones in bed sound better than your ps3 or would it be a waste of money to consider buying a standalone.I watch a lot of films qiute late and have MA br5's and a denon1909 amp i want them to be at it at very low volume levels which on ps3 i find i need to crank it up to get the speakers working while on the 360 or even my mate CA dvd player its great the mid and bass are there.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
To be honest I haven't noticed a difference.

A standalone BD player should give better results, depending on the player, but you might be advised to test one first as the PS3 is still a reasonably good player.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts