Need speakers for old system

skutters

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi, My system consisted of a Arcam Alpha 10 Amp & Arcam Alpha 8se CD Player with a pair of Proac studio 125 floorstanders. Due to having to move the HiFi into the back small room 12ftx12ft i have had to sell the Proac's which is a shame as for me the system sounded good(i have never heard really high end stuff so go easy on me). I will now have to get a pair of small bookshelf speakers to go on a pair of shelves i will put up. They will have to able to go close to the wall after doing a bit of research i have come up with these two, Neat Iota and Dali Mentor Menuets i dont need big Bass i like to listen to the likes of soft rock, Accustic, Female singers the like of Emile Sande & Paloma Faith.

So my questions are, will either of these fit the bill i must admit looking at images of them both the Menuets look really nice in Cherry but they are expensive i dont mind paying that much if they sound as good as they look?. The Iota's dont look as nice but if they sound as good Well they are a lot cheaper?. Next will the Arcams be up to the job i was toying with the idea of upgrading them but i dont want to upgrade just for the sake of it. I could try listening to the speakers with a CD/Amp combo in my price range £2000 and then compare the sound to the Arcams.

Could you suggest a CD/Amp combo to try in my price range i have been away from HiFi for quite some time, hence still using the Arcams.

Regards Kev.

jjbomber

Yet another person just joined the forum to ask about bookshelf speakers. They all seem to be in the same price ramge too. I wonder where this thread is going?

Anyway, before the cult post a few more of The Reverend Ashley's photos, the answer is that the Arcam 10 was the best amp that Arcam ever produced. Do not in a million years let it go. You would be just upgrading for the sake of it. You only need speakers. What is your budget for just speakers?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
jjbomber, why do you keep acting like this.

The OP has asked for help and has not even hinted towards where you are pointing.

Youre an advertising mans dream.

Hopefully someone will come along and genuinely look to help.

atticus

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
skutters, paranoia is a little rife around here, hence the rather gnomic thread thus far.

There are some very good active speakers made by a company called AVi HiFi called the ADM9RS, costing £1250.00. The mere mention of them causes arguments, controversy and serious thread drift. In the absence of any other helpful suggestions, I would suggest you short-list them for audition and make your own mind up as to how good they are.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Firstly I would say your system is not that old and Arcam 10 is one of the best, think you will have to spend a lot of money to get anything substantially better. I just heard some Rega cd/amp and speakers and to be honest i did not think it was much better than my 18 year old system. If you don't need big bass then the AVI ADM9RS are worth hearing if you can.

jjbomber

richardw42 said:
jjbomber, why do you keep acting like this.

Because I hate conmen. And that is what all this is about. Another AVI plant pretending to be looking for bookshelf speakers for £1250. We all know the OP doesn't exist and it's just more AVI brainwashing.

The OP has asked for help and has not even hinted towards where you are pointing.

Really. Bookshelf speakers. Budget of £1200 which may involve changing the amp? JCBrum must be proud of this one.

Youre an advertising mans dream.

Well, it would be better if AVI advertised properly rather than trolling this site.

Hopefully someone will come along and genuinely look to help.

Nope, just be cult members pushing the AVIs again. It's half-term and they are all off school. Got to have something to do.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have not heard the Alpha 10 but if it is an upgrade on the Alpha 9 I would certainly look to stick with it, I bought a 9 for my second system and love it.
As you have had Proac's before you could add the studio 115 to your list or s/hand Response 2, I would also try and listen to KEF R300 and PMC twenty two.
Many here have been raving about the KEF LS50 so if you add those to your existing two choices I think you have some good listening ahead.

I have not heard the above choices but if I was looking for my Alpha to replace my B&W's that would be my start list, I would add some Totem Dreamcatchers if you can find them, just out of curiosity.

If you can take your amplifier with you to any demo's that is going to give you a good insight into what you are looking for and you should get any final choices on home demo to ensure they suit your room.

I am intrigued how you get on, please keep updating amongst the flak, thanks.

Good luck and have fun.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
BigH, the AVIs aren't an appropriate recommendation if you have separates, particularly good ones as the OP already has.

I'd still be looking at Neat.

I thought he was looking to change his speakers and amp?

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I heard the Iotas at the Manchester show last year and they were stunning for their size - filling quite a large room with everyone wondering where the subwoofer was. They were driven by a Naim (SuperUniti or Supernait), so not a million miles away from your Arcam. The overall sound was better than a very expensive Sonus Faber / ARC setup, which although severely hampered by the small room did sound completey overblown. So on that particular day £650 speakers sounded better than £12k ones!

They're also designed for use up against a wall I think (anyone correct me on this?) so would suit your requirements even better.

Definitiely one to add to the shortlist. Those Kef R300's (or 100's) are nice as well though. And for what it's worth the AVI's are good too, it's just that they represent a different approach given they are active and incorporate a DAC too (and as you've already seen above getting objective opinion on them is nigh on impossible, people seem to love or hate them. Or should that be LOVE or HATE?!)

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just one question, who's AVI, never heard of them.

The Alpha 10 is a fine amplifier and you would need to spend a great deal of money to better it IMO. As for bookshelf speakers, can't help, I've never used any.

skutters

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi, No one has mentioned the Mentor Menuets that i like the look of are these worth a listen, i dont really like the look of the LS50's i really want a nice looking wood cabinet it will go much better in the room. BTW thank's for all the Proper advice so far.

jjbomber

skutters said:
Who is this jjbomber nut and what is AVI, i have come on here looking for some sensible help and i get some clown saying i dont exsist, Get a life Mate.

Excellent, today's childish name calling is nut. I will add them to all the other names that the cult have called me. No doubt you will think of a few more in your meeting tomorrow morning.

Novaportian

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I can thoroughly recommend the Neat Petite sx, I used to have some until I sold them to the old man. I've heard the Iotas as well and they are amazing for the size. Also check out (if you can) Pmc, proac KEF etc.

cheers, Nick

TRENDING THREADS