Question Need some suggestion for my turntable set

August_Seed

Aug 25, 2021
Visit site
Hi there,

I am planning get a new turntable set.

The turntable would be Pro-Ject DC EVO. The phono preamp would be Pro-Ject Phono box DC or MM, if needed. I am thinking about B&W 607 as speakers.

Need suggestion for amp or receiver? The budget is better below $500. PS: expecting new not used.

And if there is any suggestion for speakers(bookshelf) and their compatible amp or receiver. Expecting the sound could be warm, nice voice, and not that much enthusiasm for bass.

Used to think about Audio Engine A5+, but be attracted by B&W

I’m not sure where you are based as you are asking in dollars. I’m only reasonably familiar with the UK market. However, here you can get Rega’s new io amplifier for £399, which includes a good phono preamp stage (as you might expect).
Pro-ject also sell some compact amplifiers that aren’t expensive, but I wouldn’t know what availability and pricing might be for you.
Historically here in Blighty, B&W were often paired with Rotel amps and the latter were imported by B&W. Rotel still make at least one affordable amp.

Welcome to the WHF forum.

I’m not sure where you are based as you are asking in dollars. I’m only reasonably familiar with the UK market. However, here you can get Rega’s new io amplifier for £399, which includes a good phono preamp stage (as you might expect).
Pro-ject also sell some compact amplifiers that aren’t expensive, but I wouldn’t know what availability and pricing might be for you.
Historically here in Blighty, B&W were often paired with Rotel amps and the latter were imported by B&W. Rotel still make at least one affordable amp.

Yes, get the right amplifier and you will not need a separate phono preamplifier saving you some money.

August_Seed

Aug 25, 2021
Visit site

Thanks a lot.

I am a little bit worried that rega io gets only 30W/c output which is the lowest B&W 607 recommended amp power. So is it gonna be strong enoug to run the speakers?

Thanks a lot.

I am a little bit worried that rega io gets only 30W/c output which is the lowest B&W 607 recommended amp power. So is it gonna be strong enoug to run the speakers?
If you play loud rock music and have a big room then you might need something more powerful, but the quality is what matters in the long run. With a limited budget it’s a bit of a compromise, unless you know what you’re doing and can choose secondhand.

Reactions: Al ears

August_Seed

Aug 25, 2021
Visit site
If your budget will get one then the Rotel A11 Tribute would be a better choice and you would not need a separate phono preamp
Thanks.

I used to think that the source device, such as the turntable, or the speakers shall be the most expensive component in the stereo system, but now it looks like the amplifier is the one cost most.

August_Seed

Aug 25, 2021
Visit site
I'm guessing that you didn't read the full review in that link.
In it, the reviewer marvels at how similar the amp sounds to his usual amp, which he says is rated at 200W (into 8 and 4 ohms).
Best not to place too much importance on output wattage.
Thanks. I probably miss that point.

I will often follow the recommendation from the manufacturer, so that there is no excuses when there is an issue. But it is still a very good amp, especially most of the time they know their own product the best, so the amp probably works well with the turntable.

Reactions: Gray

August_Seed

Aug 25, 2021
Visit site
If you play loud rock music and have a big room then you might need something more powerful, but the quality is what matters in the long run. With a limited budget it’s a bit of a compromise, unless you know what you’re doing and can choose secondhand.
Thanks. The room is about 25 square meters. But for the best to my neighbors, there is seldom a chance that I will run that high volume.

Thanks.

I used to think that the source device, such as the turntable, or the speakers shall be the most expensive component in the stereo system, but now it looks like the amplifier is the one cost most.
In an all analogue set-up you would be correct, source first, and that means the cartridge. However you are not going to get the best from a system if your amplifier cannot drive your speakers adequately, if you see what I mean. You can have the best front end in the world but it comes to nothing if the rest of the system is not adequate.

Reactions: August_Seed

August_Seed

Aug 25, 2021
Visit site
In an all analogue set-up you would be correct, source first, and that means the cartridge. However you are not going to get the best from a system if your amplifier cannot drive your speakers adequately, if you see what I mean. You can have the best front end in the world but it comes to nothing if the rest of the system is not adequate.
Yeah. It is always limited by the budget. The high end devices probably follows what I feel, but the amplifiers at the starter stage are not much friendly to the wallet.

Reactions: Al ears
Yeah. It is always limited by the budget. The high end devices probably follows what I feel, but the amplifiers at the starter stage are not much friendly to the wallet.
If budget is really limited rethink your speakers. Get some second hand that are really efficient and even floorstanders if you have the room as then you don't have to budget for the stands themselves and you can get away with a lower power amplifier.

Reactions: rainsoothe

rainsoothe

Hi. I'd also rethink the speakers. Try to demo a Rega Io with Elac Debut 2 B6.2 (or even the B5.2) or Triangle BR03, or a Marantz PM6007 with Dali Spektor 2. Both these setups should leave enough dough for a pair of decent speaker stands (or, if you wanna place them on furniture, mini-stands like the ISO Acoustics l8r series or iso-pucks, or at least Vibrapods), and both these amps have decent phono stages. I'd use Chord or Van Damme interconnects and speaker cable.

Reactions: August_Seed

August_Seed

Aug 25, 2021
Visit site
If budget is really limited rethink your speakers. Get some second hand that are really efficient and even floorstanders if you have the room as then you don't have to budget for the stands themselves and you can get away with a lower power amplifier.
I find a very simple rule though these days research, the more expensive the better. The only difference between products with similar price probably is very personal preference base on the taste of sound or something like metaphysics. In addition, I just found that several products on my list just raise their price about $50-100 in these days, probably just the passing 3 days. I will need to increase the budget. Probably I will go with Rega IO or even Brio. The combination sounds good and I guess maybe the phono pre-amp in it probably knows turntable better, since Rega themselves do great turntables.

August_Seed

Aug 25, 2021
Visit site
Hi. I'd also rethink the speakers. Try to demo a Rega Io with Elac Debut 2 B6.2 (or even the B5.2) or Triangle BR03, or a Marantz PM6007 with Dali Spektor 2. Both these setups should leave enough dough for a pair of decent speaker stands (or, if you wanna place them on furniture, mini-stands like the ISO Acoustics l8r series or iso-pucks, or at least Vibrapods), and both these amps have decent phono stages. I'd use Chord or Van Damme interconnects and speaker cable.
Thanks. Things just changed so rapidly. Several products on my list just raise their price these days. As a result, I will need to increase my budget, so things become a bit easier. But I will try your suggested combination. It is just simple rule here, price tells everything.

It is just simple rule here, price tells everything.
It can do, but it can mislead you too. Many items have gone up due to global shipping costs, demand, and businesses trying to recoup pandemic losses. The best value new is often in newly discontinued products, whereas new models often carry a premium until prices drop to retain competitiveness.

If you are buying several items, some stores offer great discounts for bundled items.

rainsoothe

It can do, but it can mislead you too. Many items have gone up due to global shipping costs, demand, and businesses trying to recoup pandemic losses. The best value new is often in newly discontinued products, whereas new models often carry a premium until prices drop to retain competitiveness.

If you are buying several items, some stores offer great discounts for bundled items.
Then, there's always the matter of preference - I'd take a Naim entry level over a Yamaha flagship integrated any day of the month (at least in my small room).

August_Seed

Aug 25, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for all the help,

I just placed all the orders for my turntable set as following,

Pro-Ject DC EVO (actually already arrived but can only enjoy the looking)
Rega IO integrated amplifier
B&W 607
Kimber 4vs cables 8ft

Total is controlled within $2k. Now just waiting for them to arrive, and then set them up.

Maybe will extend the system with a used Rega Apollo (kind of expensive for the new one), and a Bluetooth receiver in the future.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts