Need some advice,weakest link in my setup?

iceman16

First of all apologise with my english cause its not my first language. Im looking forward to upgrade or replace one or two of my existing components for a much better sound. My room size at the moment is 4X5m but will be moving in a couple of months.the type of music I use to play are acoustic,pop,rock,ballads,rock metal and some jazz.My future plans are adding a hicap to my nac202,replacing arcam cd192,replacing speakers(b&w 703s).I have read some reviews that adding a hicap will bring significant improvement. With regards to the cd player I dont have much complain about it as it performs well but looking for a much better open and airy sound.With the speakers(703s)they are a bit bright in treble and sometimes bass light.As much as possible i dont want to replace my amps cause I just had them for a couple of months.Any suggestions or advice I really appreciated.Thank you very much in advance guys and more power to WHF!

A

Anonymous

Hi Iceman

Where are you by the way? I'm curious.

Anyway, my thoughts are that you have an excellent system, but the issue might be that the dimensions of the room are such that the speakers do not have enough space to breathe. Smaller rooms like yours can be an issue, especially with dealing with the bass, because there is a danger of standing waves cancelling out the bass in the region where you are most likely to be sitting.

My best advice is to wait until you have moved, and see how this is likely to affect the sound. It could be that the speakers don't suit the room in which they are installed, so it might be a good idea to consider an alternative.

A

Anonymous

B&W 700 Series, including the 703s, are not the most natural loudspeakers, I don't like them. For my liking, their midrange are colored and trebles are on the bright side.

There're better players than your ARCAM CD192 but it's a fine player. If I were you, I'd start the upgrade from your loudspeakers.

iceman16

psycoschnauzer said:
Hi Iceman

Where are you by the way? I'm curious.

Anyway, my thoughts are that you have an excellent system, but the issue might be that the dimensions of the room are such that the speakers do not have enough space to breathe. Smaller rooms like yours can be an issue, especially with dealing with the bass, because there is a danger of standing waves cancelling out the bass in the region where you are most likely to be sitting.

My best advice is to wait until you have moved, and see how this is likely to affect the sound. It could be that the speakers don't suit the room in which they are installed, so it might be a good idea to consider an alternative.
Hi..Im currently residing in Wales.My setup is sitting in a sound organisation rack(sadly in the bedroom :( ).Do you have any thoughts about replacing my cd player or speakers on what brand and model?I dont mind s/h purchase and if I could sell the speakers or cd player I would be able to increase my budget(£1300)at the moment.thanks..

iceman16

Audio Maniac said:
B&W 700 Series, including the 703s, are not the most natural loudspeakers, I don't like them. For my liking, their midrange are colored and trebles are on the bright side.

There're better players than your ARCAM CD192 but it's a fine player. If I were you, I'd start the upgrade from your loudspeakers.
Thanks Audio Maniac..Do you have any suggestions about speakers that would match my amps?I may be able to sell them to increase my budget(£1300)?I've heard the Proacs(standmount)not sure of the model at the Bristol show and they are the only speakers that impressed me.Thanks..

A

Anonymous

As has been said, I'd think the speakers. If you can stretch to £1200 or so, the Totem Arros are a really good all-rounder. They do go particularly well with Naim amplification. Floorstanders though, note.

iceman16

Grottyash said:
As has been said, I'd think the speakers. If you can stretch to £1200 or so, the Totem Arros are a really good all-rounder. They do go particularly well with Naim amplification. Floorstanders though, note.
Thanks Grottyash..Yes my current budget is £1300 but if I will be able to sell my 703s maybe I could stretch my budget up to 2 grand+.I've read some good reviews about Proac D18,Dynaudio 220(focus I think),Spendor A6,PMC FB1i and ATC scm40.I will try to demo the Totem at my local dealer if they have in stock.Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Iceman,

What an envy of you! I wish I could get of one those loudspeakers for less than 1500 pounds (they cost 3 times as much in my country).

All listed loudspeakers are quite good but I'm not going to make any suggestions. You'd better to ask someone else who's got a setup like yours (based on separate Naim amp) about the subject. The only recommendation I'm able to give is: avoid bright loudspeakers. Anbyway, none of the listed ones sounds like that.

iceman16 said:
Grottyash said:
Thanks Grottyash..Yes my current budget is £1300 but if I will be able to sell my 703s maybe I could stretch my budget up to 2 grand+.I've read some good reviews about Proac D18,Dynaudio 220(focus I think),Spendor A6,PMC FB1i and ATC scm40.I will try to demo the Totem at my local dealer if they have in stock.Cheers!

I've heard the Totem Arro with Leema, concur with Grottyash, and they are a terrific speaker. Also look at PMC GB1is and Neat Motive 2s.

Which area of Wales do you live? Although not Welsh, my Aunt and Uncle used to live in Flint.

iceman16

plastic penguin said:
iceman16 said:
Grottyash said:

I've heard the Totem Arro with Leema, concur with Grottyash, and they are a terrific speaker. Also look at PMC GB1is and Neat Motive 2s.

Which area of Wales do you live? Although not Welsh, my Aunt and Uncle used to live in Flint.
Hi PP,Im from Swansea..

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Nice set up.

I dont think you need to do much tbh.

1. Make sure the Naim stuff is not on the Tacima. If you can afford a dedicated radial cct do that and install x number of MK switchless sockets for your gear.

2. Put the original power cables (supplied by Naim) back onto the Naim eqipment. If you can afford then 2x powerlines for your napsc and 200.

3. Place your napsc as far away as its lead allows from the rest of the kit.

4. Sell the chord speaker cable and buy naca5

5. make sure you leave the napsc 202 and 200 on all the time.

After that little lot if you still not happy the vinyl source is good as is the cdp, however maybe an external dac rega/naim would fit the bill nicely.

iceman16

True Blue said:
Nice set up.

1. Make sure the Naim stuff is not on the Tacima. If you can afford a dedicated radial cct do that and install x number of MK switchless sockets for your gear.

2. Put the original power cables (supplied by Naim) back onto the Naim eqipment. If you can afford then 2x powerlines for your napsc and 200.

After that little lot if you still not happy the vinyl source is good as is the cdp, however maybe an external dac rega/naim would fit the bill nicely.
Thanks TB..I really appreciate your comments.I just bought a s/h hicap2(2008)for a decent price and Im waiting for delivery this thursday(cant wait).With regards to the mains socket,all of my gear are sitting probably 3.5 meters away from the mains socket that is why im using the tacima as an extension lead.The napsc is currently sitting on the floor under my rack on a wooden plinth with 3 spikes(I'll probably do the same for the hicap).Cheers mate!

iceman16

True Blue said:
Nice set up.

Hi TB,I've put the supplied naim cable back to my 202 and IMHO it sounded a bit lean in presentation and the chord powerchord gives more "body" to the sound and the mid is more refined(not sure why though).I will try the nacA5 for home demo this week but Im not sure If my local dealer have them in stock.The last time I asked my local dealer about the nacA5 they were shaking their heads about it.Well its my ears should decide anyway and not my local dealer so I will get a demo before taking the plunge.Thanks..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts