Question Need help identifying the speakers and record deck...

tangledfeet

May 26, 2020
Visit site
Some nine years ago I popped into Jordan Acoustics in Glenrothes (now no more) to enquire about buying some headphones; I had no idea what was behind the innocuous door of this wee place located in a local community shopping complex.

I didn't buy any headphones but I was treated to a listen of Jeff Buckley's 'Grace' on vinyl on this system - I had no idea music could be this visceral! It's an album I know well.

If I recall, I was told that both the speakers and turntable are both Scottish.

I'm pretty sure that the speakers are Art but I can't identify the turntable - any ideas?

Thanks!

2022-06-21_01-25-12.jpg

The speakers certainly are ART Loudspeakers ( Alnico Signature??), the turntable has me pondering.
Thought it might be a Dr. Feickert Analog model but it isn't. Looks like it has a SME tonearm.
nearest I can find is the Acoustic Solid Mahogoni, but not too sure about that either

1655886050447.png

Last edited:
Reactions: tangledfeet
It might be a Systemdek reference, given the geography. I can’t recall the details but there’s a connection between the ART speakers and the turntable folks. The linked picture isn’t identical but they are virtually all individually made, so it’s a distinct possibility.

It might be a Systemdek reference, given the geography. I can’t recall the details but there’s a connection between the ART speakers and the turntable folks. The linked picture isn’t identical but they are virtually all individually made, so it’s a distinct possibility.

Well spotted, that's the kiddy!

D

Deleted member 160668

The speakers are most definitely ART's. I own a pair of Alnico 8 Signature's which look very similar, except these are three way designs.

The TT is likely one they designed too as they developed SystemDek as mentioned above.

From their website:

Based in Troon, ART Loudspeakers is a Scottish company founded in 1998 by brothers, Derek and Ramsay Dunlop. Their love of music and understanding that design is a pure art form and a constant journey of discovery and innovation has led to the release of many beautiful loudspeakers, enjoyed by music lovers all over the world. Never two to stand still and through all their knowledge gained over the years, they have also found time to develop a reference family of Cables (Dram) and Turntable (SystemDek) lines as well.

D

Deleted member 160668

Thanks all!

Thanks for identifying the Alnico Signature speakers @Al ears as I wasn't sure of the model.

I recall being told that there was a family connection between the speakers and the turntable, so SystemDek it would be - thanks @nopiano and @amormusic

All the best folks!
For clarity around this time period they may well be Alnico X etc. which refers to the driver size. Mine are Alnico 8 Signature. The Signature reference was an upgrade option of Jensen copper-foil inductors and capacitors as well as Kondo Sound Lab Spc internal copper wiring with WBT Platinum terminals and was at additional cost over the standard model.

There's a review below which will explain better than I have.

From the pic above those look to be Alnico 12's. There's a set for sale on eBay if you fancy them and have deep enough pockets!!

tangledfeet

May 26, 2020
Visit site
For clarity around this time period they may well be Alnico X etc. which refers to the driver size. Mine are Alnico 8 Signature. The Signature reference was an upgrade option of Jensen copper-foil inductors and capacitors as well as Kondo Sound Lab Spc internal copper wiring with WBT Platinum terminals and was at additional cost over the standard model.

From the pic above those look to be Alnico 12's. There's a set for sale on eBay if you fancy them and have deep enough pockets!!

Thanks again!

My curiosity was piqued by a conversation I had with, ultimately, my boss - the Rector (Scots Headteacher) at the school at which I teach. I knew she had a good record collection, and she said yesterday she has a Linn turntable - but she also asked me about this (now defunct) place locally in Glenrothes when I mentioned the system I'd seen.

She reckoned it would be a Linn system if it was Scottish... I was pretty sure it wasn't, and also rather more exotic! :cool:

Believe the Alnico 8, 10 etc were 2 way designs the as these are three or possibly 2.5 way speakers.
Unfortunately the turntable is a bit out of my league at £30k..... :)I
However I am sure it's very good as I really rated all Systemdeks

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts