Need advice to buy Hi-Fi system!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have just run through all the prices again (all current and include latest price-rises)....

Naim Nait 5i + CD5i = £1720

Naim NACA5 speaker cable = £105 (2x 3.5m)

Rega RS3 floorstanders = £698

Rega P3-24 turntable + (factory fitted and aligned) Rega Elys 2 cartridge = £498

Rega Fono-Mini phono-stage = £55

Total = £3076.

Naim dealers are usually Rega dealers too. (Not hard to find one who does both.) So if your nearest Naim/Rega dealer cannot do this deal for £3000 (or even less if there are any ex-demo deals included) then I would be shocked.

I have included Rega RS3 floorstanders in this example set-up as... (a) I know they work extremely well with this system (b) you initially expressed a preference for floorstanders.

A

Anonymous

Craig M.:matching components together is very important, just assembling a bunch of 5 star products is no guarantee you will like the result. in your first post you mention wanting to hear production subtleties, try to demo some atc speakers, they will let you hear everything. i think they are untouchable in their price bracket.
ATC SCM11's and SCM19's look very interesting. SMC11's are within budget, SCM19's aren't... unless I can find them used. I'm actually not sure that I NEED floorstanders... By simple logic, bookshelf speakers that have identical prices to floorstanding speakers appear will tend to have fewer components (hence may have better build.parts) - so would be better quality for the same money - is that at all right?

The supposed clarity & tightness of ATC's might be exactly what I'm looking for - essentially I'm looking for speakers with characteristics of studio monitors, but with a more easy-listening and relaxed attitude - something that allows one to actually enjoy the music! "Open and crisp top end, super tight bottom end with unconvoluted and lively mids" is the best way that I can explain what I'm looking for...

Given that my room is 5.5m x 4m and is fairly bright and lively, would bookshelf speakers achieve a better soundstage and fill the room better than floorstanders? The ultimate aim, of course, is to make the speakers "disappear". Purely visually, floorstanders look better, but sound is more important.

chebby:<p>I have just run through all the prices again (all current and include latest price-rises)....</p><p>Naim Nait 5i + CD5i = £1720</p><p>Naim NACA5 speaker cable = £105 (2x 3.5m)</p><p>Rega RS3 floorstanders = £698</p><p>Rega P3-24 turntable + (factory fitted and aligned) Rega Elys 2 cartridge = £498</p><p>Rega Fono-Mini phono-stage = £55</p><p>Total = £3076.</p><p>Naim dealers are usually Rega dealers too. (Not hard to find one who does both.) So if your nearest Naim/Rega dealer cannot do this deal for £3000 (or even less if there are any ex-demo deals included) then I would be shocked.</p><p>I have included Rega RS3 floorstanders in this example set-up as...  (a) I know they work extremely well with this system (b) you initially expressed a preference for floorstanders.  <br></p><p>  <br></p>

Thanks for taking the trouble to complete this setup! I have been looking at the P3-24 player, too, actually, but I think that I will add the turntable at a later point once I've absolutely sorted out all other components. RE: preference for floorstanders, as I wrote above, I am totally rethinking that...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
roman_sub:ATC SMC11's and SMC19's look very interesting. SMC11's are within budget, SMC19's aren't..

Don't worry. Rick from Musicraft will be along soon. He won't let you worry about the budget.

Very persuasive guy. (Very nice too.) Perhaps you should call him.

When my friend was ordering his SCM11s on the phone a few months ago, I was there and spoke to Rick. He is very flexible on pricing. (I was dabbling with idea of SCM7s back then.)

[Important. I should add that none of this occurred either through this forum, or on this forum, or as a result of this forum, where trading/selling is not allowed. My friend was not even a member of this forum at the time and I have no links with Musicraft whatsoever.]

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts