Need help choosing speakers for Marantz CR-503

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Absolute newbie to the world of hifi- I was out searching of a “decent” music player heard the Marantz CR-503 and was impressed. But then got introduced to the selection of speakers out there and was baffled!

Need help to decide -Will the CR-503 be able to drive a floor standing speaker or should I settle for a Bookshelf?

Among floor standers I tried Monitor audio BX5, RX6 , Mission M34i & kef iQ5 and among bookshelves – Mordaunt short Carnival, MA RX1 & Heco victa. I liked MA RX6 the best, but it’s above my budget. Among book shelves I liked RX1 but price wise it is very close to BX5.

Among the floor standers I like BX5 best so far (was told that it was powered by a tube amp, not sure if that had something to do with it), but elsewhere in the forum I read that CR-503 doesn’t sound good together. I wasn’t able to pair up any of the above speakers to the CR 503, so looking forward to advice from the forum to make a decision.

Regards

Viz

A

Anonymous

I've just bought that same amp with some quad 11s.it is capable of driving floor standers and what you decide on will depend on how much space you have and the sound you like.

A

Anonymous

Room size -8ft X 12ft . So far BX5 sounds the best in my budget. But it was powered by a tube amp? Should i expect it to sound way different if it were to be drive by a CR- 503? I dont think i will have the opportunity to listen to BX5 powered by the CR- 503 before i put down the money

hortensio

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I think MCr 503 can power BX 5 easily...Marantz can pair well with MA speakers...

Maybe hifilover1979 could share his experience...he has cmr 603+bx 5....

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I had an M-CR603 which I originally used MA BX2s and it worked well, decided to upgrade the speakers to MA RX1s and it was even better. I would say that the Marantz will work well with bost MA speakers unless they are less than 6 ohms.

All BX and RX speakers have good efficiency so you should not have any problems.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the replies folks. Didn’t realize there were so many people in the forum using the CR-603. My general search returned very few threads (Andrew - thanks for the search tip). Sounds like I will go for the BX5. Will let you guys know how it goes…

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all you input, but my plans ( and visit to whathifi forum) wavered a bit after the last post as i was traveling a lot.

But now I am back to square one - but less confused ( thanks to you guys).

Plan to make the purchase this week.

Only conternders are - Monitor Audio BX5 vs. Dali Zensor 5 to go with the Marantz 503

Heard both of them (Dali was paired wiht Marantz & MA with another amp)

My feeling was that Dali was handling the base better - now not sure if that was cause of the room, Dali was playing in a very small room in comparison to MA( no one in singapore sells both these brands together).

So here i am once again, hoping your experience will help me make a decision.

A

Anonymous

Hi all- i am thinking of buying this weekend.

Could you pls share your opinion on Monitor Audio BX5 or Dali Zensor 5 to go with a Marantz 503

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts