Need advice pls - Big speakers for 1000sq ft room!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
matt49 said:
chebby said:
Something like a NaimUniti 2 all-in-one (best part of £3K) is also a case of putting (almost) 'all your eggs in one basket', but they give out 5 year guarantees and can also service and repair kit bought from them decades ago. Their survival in 10, 20 years time is not dependent on the founders still running the business. (Obviously any company can cease trading for any reason, but one that is entirely run and staffed by two men of retirement/near-retirement age is less likely to be trading by then.)

"I'm an independently wealthy, sixty six year old and can retire when I please and Martin's design skills are much in demand, so he has no worries either.” Ashley James, 21/08/2012

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1776377&highlight=sixty#post1776377

and he was Banned for bad debt... :rofl:

What do you mean?

Have you read the full post in pinkfishmedia ?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Under the name it says succinctly: "Banned. Bad debt."

I think trade members have to pay on that forum, and obviously either Ashley forgot - or his business isn't as good as I thought ;)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

God no!

Life's too short for thirty pages of that (well, bank holiday weekends are).

Please summarise who (or what) had (or has) debt to whom and how that effects the long term future of AVI and the relevance to them being able to mend/service their products in the future.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

God no!

I'm sorry to say I skimmed through most of it:

Question: Anyone heard a pair of ADM 40s?..........47 pages later...........Answer: :?

:wall:

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Another thread meandering away from the OP.

can we not agree all suggestions are legitimate, and through demoing I'm sure the OP will come to a decision.

Wherever you demo the speakers its unlikely you'd recreate your own listening environment, if you can get home demos, all the better.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

God no!

Please summarise who (or what) had (or has) debt to whom and how that effects the long term future of AVI and the relevance to them being able to mend/service their products in the future.

I've said full Post, not thead... 30 pages of a product i'll never buy...

The bottom line that I wanted to say is: How can I trust any statement from some one who have been banned?

Sorry, but I as a consumer don't!

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
jcbrum said:
[quote = lindsayt]

On bass transients, the ADM 9's have far more distortion than the sort of speaker I recommended earlier in this thread.

This is again simply untrue. Most of the speakers you favour are 'big old legacy' designs from the past. Technology advances in driver designs have made big advances. Particularly in the reduction of distortion. AVI are noted for pursuing the advantages of leading edge designs in driver technology.

[/quote]

I'm afraid Lindsayt is quite correct on this one. regardless of any improvements in driver design over the years physics laws still abide and a smaller driver asked to play low will always generate more distortion than a larger one. if still in doubt I'd recommend visiting zaph's website. he did all the hard work for you already. you can compare a lot of 6.5" and 8" woofers. you'll easily notice marked improvement in THD between a smaller and a larger one. for instance a 6.5" Scanspeak 18wu8741t00 has 2nd order distortion at 1.79% at 40 Hz for fundamental at 92dB at 0.5m. then an 8" Scanspeak 22w8851t00 has 2nd order distortion at 0.32% at 40Hz for fundamental at 96dB at 0.5m. as you can see not only is the distortion considerably lower for an 8" driver but also it can retain higher linearity at higher SPLs. now imagine what the results would be like for a 15" woofer?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
"We've sold getting on for 4000 pairs of ADM9's now, we have a forum that receives around a thousand unique visits a day and an owners club on Facebook, so we're doing quite well. ADM40s, despite their very high price also sold extremely well initially and now more steadily as you'd expect.

We're doing especially well when you consider that I'm an independently wealthy, sixty six year old and can retire when I please and Martin's design skills are much in demand, so he has no worries either.

I'm more worried about spiteful people who spend five odd year pouring bile on people and products they've never heard. it's not healthy old chap." This is Ashley James full post, and apparently the business is going fine and he is banned for bad debt, even he forgot to pay he as an image to take care as a owner of a brand/product.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Generally speaking, if something sounds too good to be true, it is. I get that feeling about AVI speakers and it comes from reading posts by the pro AVI lobby!

I've never heard them admittedly, but claiming that small speakers like that can have so much power as to fill a room of 100 sq metres with clear rich sound seems to defy the laws of physics.

I did have quite an open mind about them and was interested in hearing them but the far fetched claims I'm reading are putting me off.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Ru-Glen said:
[EDITED BY MODS and user banned again]

i don't have to look at the big picture. Sorry!!!!

I don't have a business to take care of!!!

But some one do apparantly...

And he could have canceled his registation!

I will not write another line regardering this subject, sorry.

I will respect the thread theme onwards.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
When you say room filling sound, do you mean in general or from where you would normally listen? Also, how far do you sit from your speakers normally and where abouts are they placed in the room?

I would imagine that you would either need especially sensitive or large speakers and or a more powerful amplifier.

If listening from one side of the room with the speakers directly opposite on the other, you are probably in the region of 20 dB down in sound level from where the speakers are.

So if you are listening at 85 dB and using 1W to get that level, something like 128W will be needed at the other side of your room for the same level. This would be pushing your amp and endangering your speakers.

There are calculations that can be made to determine your requirements and it might be worth working out what you theoretically need before demoing, if only to discount certain equipment.

Edit: Your room size is unusually generous, particularly for uk house sizes and most hifi equipment has been designed to work in much smaller spaces.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
So as usual, a mention of AVI ADMs results in pages of nay-sayers chipping in with irrelevant twaddle to try to dissuade people away from a top class product.

Did anyone actually notice what the OP said about my curve-ball suggestion? For those of you so blinded by your irrational hatred for a product you probably have never heard, the OP said,

"Thanks for the advice on all of the above - I will check out. Like you say, a real curve ball around the idea of going for active's but one I will consider."

That was back on page 2, where are we now, ah yes page 5.

Why are you all so scared about people moving from more traditional hifi to actives? For me it was enormously positive, just like it has been for many others. Our love of AVI actives doesn't diminish your love of your systems, does it?

:?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
True, but one can suggest alternatives.

It's interesting that AVI sell mostly to the overseas market to people who haven't heard their speakers, so maybe belief is as important as the usual thing of "try before you buy".

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
relocated said:
So as usual, a mention of AVI ADMs results in pages of nay-sayers chipping in with irrelevant twaddle to try to dissuade people away from a top class product.

Did anyone actually notice what the OP said about my curve-ball suggestion? For those of you so blinded by your irrational hatred for a product you probably have never heard, the OP said,

"Thanks for the advice on all of the above - I will check out. Like you say, a real curve ball around the idea of going for active's but one I will consider."

Why are you all so scared about people moving from more traditional hifi to actives? For me it was enormously positive, just like it has been for many others. Our love of AVI actives doesn't diminish your love of your systems, does it?

Don't think it's active speakers that people have a problem with - just AVI active speakers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
relocated said:

FWIW. My reservations are not about quality / hatred / bias, but suitability for that size of room and budget....even the ADM40s have only one smallish mid/bass unit (all be it a quality one).

I just think the OP needs to be looking at something substantially bigger, with at least 2 x 8" bass drivers, to give greater definition and scale / amount of bass.

An Active speaker approaching that size will likely be very expensive, as each driver needs its own amp.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Somewhat of a sideway, I know (though less so than the latest 3 pages), but what about the opposite? When is a room too small for speakers with lots of bass? Has that to do with the distance of the speakers to the listening seat, or to the front wall? Or is it just the cubic metres of air that are 'pressurized' by the speakers' bass output?

J

jcbrum

If anyone is interested, I asked Ashley, a while ago why AVI had stopped their trade subscription to PFM.

Iirc, he said he was fed up with paying AVI's money to a forum with a small clique of members who seemed to spend their full time and attention seeking to make derogatory and defamatory posts about him and AVI.

He therefore thought that it was a poor commercial investment, and decided to discontinue AVI's trade subscription to PFM, particularly seeing as the moderation did little to control the derogation and defamation.

Tony issued reminders of the overdue renewal fee, but Ashley, having made his decision, did not respond. Eventually Tony banned the trade account and marked it 'Bad debt'. Probably not the best way to handle the situation by either party, but there it is.

I understand Ashley's personal account with PFM is still valid, and I think he does post from time to time.

These are just my personal recollections of events. I'm sure that no-one who has followed the saga takes the 'bad debt' very seriously.

JC

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
jcbrum said:
If anyone is interested, I asked Ashley, a while ago why AVI had stopped their trade subscription to PFM.

Iirc, he said he was fed up with paying AVI's money to a forum with a small clique of members who seemed to spend their full time and attention seeking to make derogatory and defamatory posts about him and AVI.

He therefore thought that it was a poor commercial investment, and decided to discontinue AVI's trade subscription to PFM, particularly seeing as the moderation did little to control the derogation and defamation.

Tony issued reminders of the overdue renewal fee, but Ashley, having made his decision, did not respond. Eventually Tony banned the trade account and marked it 'Bad debt'. Probably not the best way to handle the situation by either party, but there it is.

I understand Ashley's personal account with PFM is still valid, and I think he does post from time to time.

These are just my personal recollections of events. I'm sure that no-one who has followed the saga takes the 'bad debt' very seriously.

JC

Once more, while Mr James drinks a glass of water, please.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
pauln said:
relocated said:

Don't think it's active speakers that people have a problem with - just AVI active speakers.

Relocated, please re-read your first post in this thread and consider the context in which you made it.

Do you agree with what I said earlier where I said that your first post in this thread comes across as off-topic advertising for AVI?

If you don't agree please say why. If you do agree, would you please like to apologise? And in future will you please try to refrain from making posts that come across as AVI advertising as this inevitably leads to other posters responding to it and to threads being derailed?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts