Need advice pls - Big speakers for 1000sq ft room!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
relocated said:
I have made a complaint about this post. I do not speak for "Brum" but I certainly do not engage in "Straight advertising". Neither do I 'shill', conspire or otherwise do the bidding of ANY person or company.

Perhaps you would be good enough to stop making unfounded allegations against me.

If you have a recommendation to make or advice to give then please be my guest, but your constant deluded postings are beyond tiresome and quite possibly libelous.

Thank you.
There are two ls in "libellous", my friend :)

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
If you are open to actives there are a few on the forums that have Event Opals.

They're probably not the most sympathetic looks wise (milled from ally), but they have the power.

I've not heard these myself yet, but they consistently get excellent reviews, think they're in the region of 2k in the UK

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
jcbrum said:
1000 sq feet is less than 100 sq metres.

That's a room which is approx 10x10 metres, or approx 30 feet x 30 feet, - not all that big really.

AVI ADM9s will do that fairly easily, and go plenty loud enough.

I've heard them playing in a hall, at the NEC, with no problems at all.

And they cost less than £1500 new, with amps, pre-amps, and DAC all included. You only require a source.

JC

The orignal poster wanted a rich deep sound. There is no way on earth that I would describe the AVI ADM9's as having a rich deep sound. Especially not in a 1000 sq ft room, where due to the less directional nature of the lower frequencies, the AVI's will sound even more midrange centric than they do in a small room.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
skippy said:
If you are open to actives there are a few on the forums that have Event Opals.

They're probably not the most sympathetic looks wise (milled from ally), but they have the power.

I've not heard these myself yet, but they consistently get excellent reviews, think they're in the region of 2k in the UK

The room is nearly 32 ft x 32 ft, so maybe one of the owners on here could comment on how it might cope...........a possible for the shortlist though.

J

jcbrum

lindsayt,

I can understand your reservations, given your prelidictions for your favourite type of speakers, but myself and many others can assure you that the ADM9 RSS sound (current model) is indeed deep and rich sounding, but without the boom and distortion of big old legacy designs. If you want them even deeper (not everyone does) simply add the sub.

A lemon,

You're talking rubbish. Seemingly simply to provoke antagonism and argument. It's foolish.

JC

J

jcbrum

JT71, the AVI speakers are a serious suggestion. Maybe a visit to the AVI forum would provide some further opinion from people who already use their speakers in large rooms. You might even find someone close to your location who would give you an audition.

JC

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
jcbrum said:
I've heard them playing in a hall, at the NEC, with no problems at all.

Global Trucking Industry In Chaos As Rock Legends Discover They Can Fit Entire Stadium PA System In Trunk Of VW Polo, And Still Space For Golf Clubs

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
when I read the opening post in this thread I only wondered how long it will take before AVI brigade starts their dance.

@ jcbrum and relocated

can you let me know if in your opinion let's say a pair of Monitor Audio RX1 (or any other ported two-way mini monitor sporting a 6,5" woofer) mated to a 400W (into 4 Ohm load) power amp would do as well in a 1000sq ft room as a pair of AVI 9RS?

in about 8m*13m room I would only recommend a two-way monitor for non critical background listening, unless listened to nearfield. for room filling, bass heavy experience the OP should look elsewhere. I'd find 1500 GBP a tight budget for the room size, unless I went second hand.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
jcbrum said:
lindsayt,

I can understand your reservations, given your prelidictions for your favourite type of speakers, but myself and many others can assure you that the ADM9 RSS sound (current model) is indeed deep and rich sounding, but without the boom and distortion of big old legacy designs. If you want them even deeper (not everyone does) simply add the sub.

A lemon,

You're talking rubbish. Seemingly simply to provoke antagonism and argument. It's foolish.

JC

The sound of hi-fi equipment is all relative. Relative to the sound of other hi-fi equipment. Relative to the sound the actual musicians made in the concert hall or recording booth when the recording was made.

Compared to the cheapest tiniest transistor radio, AVI ADM 9's will have a rich and deep sound in a very large room. Compared to the sort of speakers I recommended in my first post in this thread, the ADM 9's do not have a rich and deep sound. I've already offered to demonstrate this in a very large room earlier this year in a previous "speakers for a large room thread." No AVI owners took me up on my offer. Compared to the real thing: actual bass guitars, bass synths and bass drums the ADM 9's do not have a rich and deep sound.

On bass transients, the ADM 9's have far more distortion than the sort of speaker I recommended earlier in this thread. You can say what you like about distortion JCBrum, doesn't mean to say it has any truth to it. Especially not in the light of the lack of any sort of independent measurements or listening tests comparing the ADM 9's against the sort of speakers I recommended for this thread.

And why do you keep repeatedly saying that old legacy designs boom and have distortion when you haven't even heard the ones that I recommend? Again you can say what you like, but we can all draw our own opinions on you saying this when you have no experience on what you're criticising.

And as for adding the 10" AVI sub. Well that's a single 10" driver spread over two channels. All of the speakers I recommended had one 15" bass driver per channel or multiple 12" bass drivers per channel, meaning that all of the speakers I recomended had over 4 times the bass cone area of the AVI sub. Bass cone area counts for a lot in getting a low distortion, rich deep sound in a 1000sq ft room.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
relocated said:
JT you have what is described as very good gear and it would be very difficult to up sticks and move to a different way. For your budget of £1500 I fear you will swop one disappointment for another.

On sound terms the ADMs could well fill your room and with the addition of the dedicated sub undoubtedly would. Unfortunately the 9 series only come in black or white gloss [piano] finish so wouldn't suit.

What would fit the bill is the AVI ADM 40s. Active floorstanders of immense power and scale that provide you with DAC, pre and power amps, remote control, 2 analogue and 4 digital inputs. Power and interconnect leads are also supplied. The cost is £3250, a long way from £1.5k or £2k; however selling your other gear would mitigate the difference.

I appreciate that this is a proper curve-ball but it would sort out your dilemma in one swoop. Everything you need for superb quality sound in a pair of floor-standers, just add your sources.

Good luck.

In view of the fact that ADM 40's are well over budget at £3250 compared to the £1500 budget. And the fact that they are a slimline ported 2 way design with tiny bass cones combined with the fact that the room is 1000sq ft and the original poster is looking for a rich and deep sound. Also in view of the gushing prose in praise of the ADM 40's "floorstanders of immense power and scale" and "Everything you need for superb quality sound" with no mention of any shortcomings when compared to other speakers.

Then I think it's reasonable to say that this post comes across as off-topic advertising.

J

jcbrum

Quote = lindsayt, Compared to the real thing: actual bass guitars, bass synths and bass drums the ADM 9's do not have a rich and deep sound.

This is a false statement. One of the strengths of AVI loudspeakers, noted very widely by many users, is their realism and fidelity.

Quote = lindsayt, On bass transients, the ADM 9's have far more distortion than the sort of speaker I recommended earlier in this thread.

This is again simply untrue. Most of the speakers you favour are 'big old legacy' designs from the past. Technology advances in driver designs have made big advances. Particularly in the reduction of distortion. AVI are noted for pursuing the advantages of leading edge designs in driver technology.

By now, literally thousands of users have made their choice by purchasing, and attesting to the excellence and realism of AVI speakers. To suggest that this is the opinion of a few 'paid shills', is ridiculous.

JC

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
jcbrum said:
Technology advances in driver designs have made big advances. Particularly in the reduction of distortion. AVI are noted for pursuing the advantages of leading edge designs in driver technology.

By now, literally thousands of users have made their choice by purchasing, and attesting to the excellence and realism of AVI speakers. To suggest that this is the opinion of a few 'paid shills', is ridiculous.

JC
Are AVI noted for "pursuing the advantages of leading edge designs in driver technology?" If they are, it would be unfair not to mention Sonus Faber, Harbeth, Spendor and others who have drivers built or adapted to their designs, generally by companies such as Scanspeak or SEAS. Then there's B&O, who make their own speakers from the amp upwards, and who are pioneers in amp design - think ICE technology. Let's also not forget ATC KEF and B&W, who make and continually improve their own drivers. If you look outside the UK there's Canton in Germany and Focal in France who have huge R&D departments. Last of all there's the driver manufacturers themselves, in particular scanspeak and SEAS, who again spend a lot of time and money in R&D. There's many more I've not listed, but you get the gist. I mean, if buying a Scanspeak tweeter means "pursuing the advantages of leading edge design, then I'm in there, too, because I use Scanspeak tweeters in my designs. What I don't do, and neither does AVI, is to contribute to those advances in any way.

I'd also point out literally tens of thousands of users have made their choice and have bought B&W, Spendor, Sonus Faber, Focal, Canton etc etc attesting to the excellence and realism of those speakers. Of course, the fact someone buys a certain speaker may have nothing to do excellence or realism, so essentially that's a non sequitor.

Why are you so on-eyed in this matter, JCB? Is it friendship, or do you really believe there are no better speakers than AVI in the world?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
£3250 on an entire speaker/amp/dac/pre-amp system would lead me to thinking... "who is going to service or mend this gear in 10, 20 year's time?"

It's a lot of money (it is to me anyway) and for many will represent a very long term system choice. Such an investment makes me think of companies like Naim, Linn, Rega, Quad ... etc. (even Yamaha) who can still support their stuff decades after it was made.

It's even more important with AVI ADM40s, given that no individual system component can be replaced in isolation (like a seperate amp or DAC or speakers) if it degrades/deteriorates/breaks many years down the line. The whole thing has to go back to AVI.

Are AVI putting aside reasonable amounts of spares for all of their models? Do they support equipment they made 10 or 20 years ago? (It was always pretty pricey stuff.) Does the company have the degree of 'continuity' you would hope for if £3250 represents a significant long term investment to you?

Something like a NaimUniti 2 all-in-one (best part of £3K) is also a case of putting (almost) 'all your eggs in one basket', but they give out 5 year guarantees and can also service and repair kit bought from them decades ago. Their survival in 10, 20 years time is not dependent on the founders still running the business. (Obviously any company can cease trading for any reason, but one that is entirely run and staffed by two men of retirement/near-retirement age is less likely to be trading by then.)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Something like a NaimUniti 2 all-in-one (best part of £3K) is also a case of putting (almost) 'all your eggs in one basket', but they give out 5 year guarantees and can also service and repair kit bought from them decades ago. Their survival in 10, 20 years time is not dependent on the founders still running the business. (Obviously any company can cease trading for any reason, but one that is entirely run and staffed by two men of retirement/near-retirement age is less likely to be trading by then.)

"I'm an independently wealthy, sixty six year old and can retire when I please and Martin's design skills are much in demand, so he has no worries either.” Ashley James, 21/08/2012

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1776377&highlight=sixty#post1776377

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Entirely speculation, but I'd assume they'll sell out at some point. Their business model seems to work, and, although tiny, they apparently have enough interest to keep the company going.

Without having seen any figures I'd guess they're an attractive enough investment., perhaps even for a group of their most diehard fans. Many designers contract out now, so it wouldn't be too hard to add new designs to their product range in the future. Downside is expansion - AVI really are small, as their website, which currently has less than 2000 members, seems to indicate, and there are a lot of much bigger fish out there. As it stands they have a small factory without much in the way of tooling (guessing, haven't seen it) so expansion would mean a heavy investment in new machinery and, possibly, premises.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
chebby said:

"I'm an independently wealthy, sixty six year old and can retire when I please and Martin's design skills are much in demand, so he has no worries either.” Ashley James, 21/08/2012

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1776377&highlight=sixty#post1776377

and he was Banned for bad debt... :rofl:

John Duncan

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
matt49 said:
chebby said:

and he was Banned for bad debt... :rofl:

What do you mean?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts