Need advice on the system I plan to buy

Kinox01

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

After a lot of time reading and investigating I have come to decide to buy the Marantz PM7005 amp and the B&W 685 S2 speakers (don't have a hi-fi system now). This max out my 1500 euros budget and, also, I won't be able to make a new hi-fi purchase for a long time, so I rather don't make a mistake. So, I have a few questions for all the audiophiles here (my room is around 20 square meters, floorstand speakers are not an option, I mainly listen power metal, and I want an amp with a DAC because most of my music is mp3 and flac).

* Is this a good amp-speakers combo?

* Are the B&W too much for this amp?

* Any susgestion to improve the system within the budget?

Thank you all for your advices!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Kinox01 said:
Hi guys,

After a lot of time reading and investigating I have come to decide to buy the Marantz PM7005 amp and the B&W 685 S2 speakers (don't have a hi-fi system now). This max out my 1500 euros budget and, also, I won't be able to make a new hi-fi purchase for a long time, so I rather don't make a mistake. So, I have a few questions for all the audiophiles here (my room is around 20 square meters, floorstand speakers are not an option, I mainly listen power metal, and I want an amp with a DAC because most of my music is mp3 and flac).

* Is this a good amp-speakers combo?

* Are the B&W too much for this amp?

* Any susgestion to improve the system within the budget?

Thank you all for your advices!
if your going for marantz pm7005 it has a built in dac and the pm6005 does with speakers I am using Dalis 3s which are book shelf speakers plus I am into metal and classic rock the speakers work well with marantz amps and sound good with metal but with a budget the pm6005 and cd6005 are both good for the money so with the speakers your looking at around £900 which is not bad for the money I add a arcam ir dac to my CD player which is a far better dac to use but will cost you £425 . B&Ws are very good speakers but not sure what they will sound like on the 7005amp but you will need to get a good demo first to see if it's to your taste and what budget you have in mind before you get a demo so you do not go over it as it's easy to do so . I wanted floor standing speakers myself but can not as I got kids so I have to go the book shelf root for now but the best advice I can give you is go to a hi fi shop and get a good demo done take some CDs with you and ask them to set up the gear you want to hear and ask the dealer what your needs are but without going over spend

rainsoothe

Hi.

Imo, with that budget you're better off geting actives - should the utilitarian looks not bother you. And I mean MUCH, MUCH better. Also, for that kind of music, I don't think Marantz are a particularly good choice. So for actives, you should definitely consider Yamaha HS8 and, for a fancier and friendlier preamp with volume control, Audiolab M-Dac (or, should you find a good used one - or ex-dem - to fit the rest of your budget, Naim Dac V1, which is amazing).

If you want passives + amp, I re-iterate, Marantz wouldn't be in my prefered choice for that kind of music. I would try to find an ex-dem or used Naim Nait 5si (or even Nait 5i), with an ex-dem or used Arcam iRdac and a pair of Dynaudio DM 2/7 (especially in the case of the Nait 5i) - or maybe B&W 685S2 or Focal Aria 906 (for the Nait 5si). Another good bet might be Exposure 2010s2 (with Arcam iRdac) + Dynaudio DM 2/7. Other speedy amps are Rotel RA1570 - which has a DAC i think - (or used RA1520), Creek Evo 50A (or used Creek Evolution 2), which should also work great with the Dynaudios. Roksan Kandy K2 might also be worth checking out, with Micromega MyDac and B&W 685 S2. Oh, and NAD.

If you CAN audition, though, nothing beats chosing the components with your own ears - and if your dealer can accommodate it, audition in your own home, it makes a world of difference as I recently found out.

Goodluck.

Kinox01

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Thank you guys for your advices. I completely agree in that having an audition is the best option. However, I live in a small town far from everywhere and is not posible to get that here; I will try to set up an audition in a major city but will not be easy. Both of you think that is better to have a dedicated DAC (like Arcam irdac) than an amp with integrated DAC. So your advice is going for PM6005 + iRdac or Rotel 1520 + iRdac. I will do that. However, I'm not sure that I feel comfortable with the idea of active speakers. Many times I find myself loving a recording not for the music, but for the quality of the sound itself. That is the reason for what I want a good amplifier, even it it doesn't match very well the kind of music I listen. Thank you again for your help!

rainsoothe

Hi. Not necessarilly, I think we're just suggesting amps with separate DACs because at these prices there's very few of them with enough juice for a 20 sq m room. The PM6005 dac is decent, but again, it's a liquid/relaxing sounding amp, better suited for jazz/blues, maybe classical - that kind of stuff. A PM7005would be more appropriate, but again, Marantz don't rock good enough (for my ears at least). They're ok, but not great. Nad D3020 is also nice, but again, might be a bit underpowered for a room that size. The good stuff starts from

Two good alternatives that completely slipped my mind are Quad Vena - amp with integrated DAC and also with bluetooth iirc, and Cambridge Audio CXA80, both of which you could pair with Q Acoustics Concept 20 or 3020 (or 3050 floorstanders), or Monitor Audio Silver 2.

NS496

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I drive my 685 S2's with a NAD D3020, and it sounds very good in the smaller study. However, in a large room, you definately need to look for something with a bit more power. For a larger room I would consider Yamaha A-S500 and up, or NAD c356 perhaps.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Well with me the reasons way I got arcam ir dac was to give me an even better sound as the Ir dac uses a blur brown which some of arcam top CD players use but at the time I was just running the marantz pm6005 and cd 6005 the dac give me results that I was after as its better then the dac in the cd 6005 is but then I upgraded the amp to the pm8005 which gives me plenty of grunt for metal music and any other kinds of music I like to listen too not just metal I get plenty of detailed sound out of my set up even with £300 Dalis 3s but they will be my next upgrade when I can afford it but I do think you can get together a good setup without spending ££££££££ over the top money and also it's about what kind of sound your after that's way it's important that you get a demo to find out if you like what your hearing

Kinox01

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
No luck so far getting an audition, so I keep trusting on you guys.

From your advices, it looks like Maranzt sound is too soft for metal music and also, the size of the room needs more power, so you recommend Yamaha A-S501 (around 340€ - 250 pounds) or Cambridge Audio CXA80 (around 1000€ - 734 pounds). The CXA includes a DAC, while the Yamaha would need an Arcam iRdac (500€ - 368 pounds). In order it is easier for me to decide, could you please say: "If it was for me, I would buy this one: XXXX".

Regarding the speakers, I think I will wait until I have made a decision on the amp, and the will choose the right ones for the selected amp. Because if not I think I will get crazy :)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
IMO it wouldn't be wise to spend 500 EUR on a DAC and 340 EUR on an amplifier. If you prefer separate boxes, spending more on the amp (and less on the DAC) will very likely give you better value for money. An amp with built in DAC makes much more sense though: the case is a relatively expensive part with this kind of device.

I appologize (in advance) for driving you crazy, but it would make much more sense to choose your speakers first -- so they fit your room, and then choose the best amp you can afford, to drive them. Use the change for a DAC. Just my opinion...

Or, as has been suggested before, go for active speakers. These have dedicated, well matched amplification inside the cabinets (and avoid the price for a separate amp-casing). Very likely to be better sound per pound!

EDIT: where do you live? Any hifi-dealers (or pro audioshops) within reach?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
i really do think you should try to get some sort of demo as trusting what we say you may not like when you get your gear plus you will have to run in new speakers ,cd,amp to get the end results of what this things will end up sounding like when they are run-in as thats way demoing is a must . the reason i have said marantz is that i think both the amp +cdplayer have there own dacs insaide and both bits of kit are 5 star rated what hifi as i started there myself and both are honest bits of kit for your money and play metal ok in my eyes you do not have to buy a £425 dac from arcam as this 2 units have there own dacs its up to you its what your happy with that counts . good luck

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Rega Brio-r, Arcam irdac and Dali Zensor 3 would be a nice combo for your needs and budget. I had a Nad D3020 and Zensor 3 combo for a while and found it very good for rock/metal.

rainsoothe

Hi again. Marantz pm8005 is also a good option.

Personally, I'd go actives. If not, I'd try to find a deal for Naim Nait 5si + Arcam iRdac + Dynaudio dm 2/7. Third option would be the CXA 80 with the same Dynaudios or Monitor Audio Silver2, or Arcam A19 + Arcam irdac (or micromega mydac if Arcam is over budget) + Focal Aria 906. For the record, I think the lowpriced Yamahas are pretty weak sounding amps.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
i think the marantz pm8005 is better then the arcam a19 and better built i think arcams are over priced for what they are the higher spec ones are good but that will take you well over your budget

TRENDING THREADS