Near field studio monitors?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
stereoman said:
Well said about passives that they rather serve uncontrolled / wooly bass in comparison to actives. Even when actives are limited and clinical sounding, I find them really musical and spot on with sound. My next purchase will be actives.
Well it must all depend on price of the speaker, because the passive ATC scm19's had much more accurate, detailed, and punchy bass than the active Kef Ls50a's I auditioned last weekend.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:
stereoman said:
Well said about passives that they rather serve uncontrolled / wooly bass in comparison to actives. Even when actives are limited and clinical sounding, I find them really musical and spot on with sound. My next purchase will be actives.
Well it must all depend on price of the speaker, because the passive ATC scm19's had much more accurate, detailed, and punchy bass than the active Kef Ls50a's I auditioned last weekend.

Given that ATC SCM19 with proper amplification and a functional streamer are going to cost twice the price or more. It can be difficult making price comparisons as added functionality can add a lot to the selling price of otherwise basic monitors.

Not mentioned of late but the Event Opal at around £2k pair will give any of the speakers mentioned a real run for their money, but then so will many others.

The problem though is getting to hear such speakers properly set up for hi-fi listening in a domestic environment, something that is rarely possible.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
@Andrewjvt:

If you want to see a real ATC vs PMC ***** fight then read this thread. What a couple of monkeys. Makes all of our behaviour on the WHFSAV forum look very British!

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/pmc-vs-atc

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
@Andrewjvt:

If you want to see a real ATC vs PMC ***** fight then read this thread. What a couple of monkeys. Makes all of our behaviour on the WHFSAV forum look very British!

I couldn't get past the first 10 comments as I felt no-one had any real experience of the speakers.

You've got me very keen to look.into PMC actives and the difference between their similar sized hifi speakers

Looking at the specs I can't really find much difference apart from the monitors being turned slightly more neutral in the bass by about 5hz

My opinion is that it would be hard to tell

Do they still buy all the drivers at vifa? Where can you get info on comparison between drivers on hifi and pro?

They also very quiet regards the amp powers etc. They can be tilted horizontal or vertical cross over points are also the same.

Could you arrange a home demo from your PMC contacts? Wouldn't you intrigued to do a test?

Wheres all the PMC experts?

Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
@Andrewjvt:

If you want to see a real ATC vs PMC ***** fight then read this thread. What a couple of monkeys. Makes all of our behaviour on the WHFSAV forum look very British!

I couldn't get past the first 10 comments as I felt no-one had any real experience of the speakers.

You've got me very keen to look.into PMC actives and the difference between their similar sized hifi speakers

Looking at the specs I can't really find much difference apart from the monitors being turned slightly more neutral in the bass by about 5hz

My opinion is that it would be hard to tell

Do they still buy all the drivers at vifa? Where can you get info on comparison between drivers on hifi and pro?

They also very quiet regards the amp powers etc. They can be tilted horizontal or vertical cross over points are also the same.

Could you arrange a home demo from your PMC contacts? Wouldn't you intrigued to do a test?

Wheres all the PMC experts?

On the Audigon forum?? :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Andrewjvt said:
https://youtu.be/k9rTf-F0PgA
Blue link

Thanks for the link. Interesting to see the speakers positioned in a nearfield configuration. I thought you said that didn't happen?

No that's not what I said

I said I bet there is no difference between the hifi version and pro in sound output. I just watched a video on the PMC website regards the pro and they were set up like a traditional hifi far apart triangle listening position.
And the chaps were saying how good they sound for Listening to music

Edit

The question I'm asking is wouldn't it at least be worth a demo/test?

Could be eye opening or put it to bed

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Andrewjvt said:
https://youtu.be/k9rTf-F0PgA
Blue link

Thanks for the link. Interesting to see the speakers positioned in a nearfield configuration. I thought you said that didn't happen?

No that's not what I said

I said I bet there is no difference between the hifi version and pro in sound output. I just watched a video on the PMC website regards the pro and they were set up like a traditional hifi far apart triangle listening position. And the chaps were saying how good they sound for Listening to music

Edit

The question I'm asking is wouldn't it at least be worth a demo/test?

Could be eye opening or put it to bed

Yes in a word, I would love to demo the PMC active pro versions in my home. There are however issues/difficulties in doing this, not least that PMC don't appear to be that keen on me doing it. Or at least they didn't 12 months ago when I tried to set it up. At the time (you may remember this) I was thinking about getting rid of my whole setup and switching across to a pair of PMC IB2s-XBD-A's. I tried and tried and tried to get this in the diary, but they simply were not interested in me doing it. Although a lot of that deal hung on PX and it may have been my dealer stalling it because in the end the deal never really stacked up... Either way it never happened.

Actually it turned out to be a bit of a relief. I was planning on using my PS Audio DirectStream DAC as a digital pre-amp in to them, but it subsequently turned out that the preamp section in that DAC was pants in to my Bryston 7B3's, which I got when the IB2s-XBD-A feal fell apart. Impedence mismatching? Who knows but it really did sound as flat as a pancake. Hence the ARC Ref 6 pre-amp, which would have bankrupted me if the IB2s-XBD-A deal had come off.

BTW blue and digital amps would have been okay in that situation given that they were going in my listening room and would have been pounded at high volumes. In case you were wondering...

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
What are you using for AV duties?

My AV is currently used for watching Disney's Frozen once a week (at least), so I'm not too precious about that. I use the MB2SE's as front main, a PMC CB6i Signature as centre, and four Linn Diskreet in the ceiling for side and rear. No sub because the MB2SE's do that. AV amp is an Onkyo 686 (Bryston 7B3's power the MB2SE's), projector is an Epson EHTW8100 and screen has a Reflect 2.5 fabric. Not brilliant, but good enough for the kids...

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:

My AV is currently used for watching Disney's Frozen once a week (at least), so I'm not too precious about that. I use the MB2SE's as front main, a PMC CB6i Signature as centre, and four Linn Diskreet in the ceiling for side and rear. No sub because the MB2SE's do that. AV amp is an Onkyo 686 (Bryston 7B3's power the MB2SE's), projector is an Epson EHTW8100 and screen has a Reflect 2.5 fabric. Not brilliant, but good enough for the kids... 

Good enough for the kids
When they finish with frozen just as a special favour I'll take it off your hands
Nice btw.

Btw how does the roksan PMC sound in the highs?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:

My AV is currently used for watching Disney's Frozen once a week (at least), so I'm not too precious about that. I use the MB2SE's as front main, a PMC CB6i Signature as centre, and four Linn Diskreet in the ceiling for side and rear. No sub because the MB2SE's do that. AV amp is an Onkyo 686 (Bryston 7B3's power the MB2SE's), projector is an Epson EHTW8100 and screen has a Reflect 2.5 fabric. Not brilliant, but good enough for the kids...

Good enough for the kids When they finish with frozen just as a special favour I'll take it off your hands Nice btw.

Not as good as ATC SCM19's would have sounded, I know that, but I am a sucker for that PMC bass. Especially at low listening levels, which is what these are predominantly for... Mids are crystal clear BTW.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:

My AV is currently used for watching Disney's Frozen once a week (at least), so I'm not too precious about that. I use the MB2SE's as front main, a PMC CB6i Signature as centre, and four Linn Diskreet in the ceiling for side and rear. No sub because the MB2SE's do that. AV amp is an Onkyo 686 (Bryston 7B3's power the MB2SE's), projector is an Epson EHTW8100 and screen has a Reflect 2.5 fabric. Not brilliant, but good enough for the kids... 

Good enough for the kids When they finish with frozen just as a special favour I'll take it off your hands Nice btw.

Not as good as ATC SCM19's would have sounded, I know that, but I am a sucker for that PMC bass. Especially at low listening levels, which is what these are predominantly for... Mids are crystal clear BTW.

Never heard a PMC speaker before.
I plan to.asap

gasolin

First one genelec 6010 (not shure if it's studio monitors) the one i have, second is 8010 which are studio monitors, last one is g one hifi speakers.

You can't se a difference from the front and besides the 2x25watt in the 2 latest models (2x12watt in my 6010a) you might not notice any sound difference. These tiny speakers ar soo cute, they have an extreme open midrange, wide stereo image and they are really loud for pc use, they are above avarage loud for there size despide only having 2x12 watt in my 6010a and a active crossover, no adjustments of the tweeter but you can adjust the bass down 2-4 or 6 db or desktop 4 db around 200hz, for the size the bass is really good, surprised drum solos can sound that good (and loud). How ever good the bass,max spl,stereo imaage and how open the midrange is, they sound different than hifi speakers.

I got mine a few weeks ago and have never once thought of using my Mission lx-2's

I tried some different interconnects for my HIFIme sabre 9018 to make the top better, the top someone wrote could be a bit sharp so it wasn't my old speakers or amp that sounded bad, it is my soundcard/dac.........so that is the next thing im gonna buy, upgrade.

Listening to jazz at the pawn shop the sound is impressive, way beyond there size or what ever you prefer to listen to that sounds really good, my cd player is more subtle,neutral in the top (sound less sharper but only a very little differnce) my turntable has a top that makes it less open but also a bit more comfortable compared to my pc,tidal hifi and my HIFYme sabre 9018 soundcard/dac, might not have a sound from my turntabel that is neutral but it still sound good

https://www.genelec.com/sites/default/files/media/Previous%20models/2-way%20loudspeakers/6010A/om6010a.pdf

Genelec_6010AWM_6010A_Bi_Amplified_Nearfield_Monitor_580868.jpg

IS528079-01-01-BIG.jpg

g1bw-k01.jpg

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:

Not as good as ATC SCM19's would have sounded, I know that, but I am a sucker for that PMC bass. Especially at low listening levels, which is what these are predominantly for... Mids are crystal clear BTW.

Never heard a PMC speaker before. I plan to.asap

I look forward to hearing about your experience. I suspect you may find the PMC sound LF a little bloated and the HF a little recessed for your tastes. At least in their domestic range, although I think their pro range may excite you. Looking forward to your thoughts...

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:

Not as good as ATC SCM19's would have sounded, I know that, but I am a sucker for that PMC bass. Especially at low listening levels, which is what these are predominantly for... Mids are crystal clear BTW.

Never heard a PMC speaker before. I plan to.asap

I look forward to hearing about your experience. I suspect you may find the PMC sound LF a little bloated and the HF a little recessed for your tastes. At least in their domestic range, although I think their pro range may excite you. Looking forward to your thoughts...

Comparing the pro to hifi once I'm out of jail in about a month

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I'll be able to do a comparison between ATC and PMC on an ab switch so I'll soon be able to give a good account of what the pro's are about.
Can't wait
You never know I may prefer them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts