Near field listening with Dali Zensor 1

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

maxpain123

Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
They are desktop stands. The pads do close to nothing, imo, and your book idea shows that you read around a bit, since it's better than pads. The ISOacoustics are not cheap, especially considering their build quality (if you assemble them wrong, you might actually not be able to pull them apart). But they work VERY well. For the Zensor 1, probably the L8R 130 is the right size (the other one being 155 - the number is the width of the stand).
Within my price range...I think there are the ISOacoustics iso130...I cant spend more than 100-130 euros right now...

I also found floor stands in that price like the NorStone stylum 3...I also need them to be at least 800mm high cause I will be listening from my desk even if they are floorstands behind the desk.

rainsoothe

Within my price range...I think there are the ISOacoustics iso130...I cant spend more than 100-130 euros right now...

I also found floor stands in that price like the NorStone stylum 3...I also need them to be at least 800mm high cause I will be listening from my desk even if they are floorstands behind the desk.
Sorry if it was a bit confusing - I was just saying the 155 is probably too big anyway. I checked in the meantime, and found they're ok too, but 130 should be a better fit.

maxpain123

Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
Is it generally accepted that floor stands do better job than dedicated desktop stands? Maybe because when using desktop stands the desk also matters? mine is not a very steady one.

Btw this is why headphones are so fascinating for me...cause you completely exclude every part of room treatment and furniture and you just hear the sound directly to your ears.

I'm sorry, but besides raising and/or angling the speakers, these won't do much to fix the OP's problems.
I was responding to this:-

"Do you think that the zensors would preform well in a desktop setup? Listening distance from 1 meter or less?

Would I be hearing everything or would I be loosing sound quality? I mean ok I am aware I will loose some imaging but I can leave with that."

Where they would. See the original post

gasolin

I have to say that with the d3020 my optimal volume for listening to music is at 60-80%...I don't know if it can be considered as low volume...

Then again the amp is not very powerful I think it measures 30watt at 8ohms and 100watts peak at 4 ohms. Zesnors are 6 ohms so I guess amp can feed them with 40-50 watts or something? I think Dali recommends 25-100 watts. Maby they do need a more powerful amplifier for over 1.5 meters?

NO NO NO it's more than 50 pr channel in 8 ohm under 70 watt in 4 ohm https://www.stereophile.com/content/nad-d-3020-integrated-amplifier-measurement

gasolin

Amp with streaming, bluetooth and wireless?

warm sounding and turntable based amp

Small, full sized, ultra compact class d

2x20 dynamic watt or 2x100 watt class a/b amp so it's LOUD

Tube amp?

1-2-3-4 inputs, bass and treble controls, loudness?

If you like a bassy sound nad BEE amps or PS audio Sprout 100

maxpain123

Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
Amp with streaming, bluetooth and wireless?

warm sounding and turntable based amp

Small, full sized, ultra compact class d

2x20 dynamic watt or 2x100 watt class a/b amp so it's LOUD

Tube amp?

1-2-3-4 inputs, bass and treble controls, loudness?

If you like a bassy sound nad BEE amps or PS audio Sprout 100
I like warm sound. I also like the clean sound of the nad. I know my budget is not allowing anything near tubes...

My base is allways the laptop and Tidal or Spotify or flacs.

For now I use a desktop setup but in the future i might transport the system in the living room so compact would not be an issue.

When I was in the market I also considered the nad bee series and the marantz pm6006 series. They were both rivals of the d3020.

Everyone I asked at the audio store told me that the d3020 is equal to those amps and its price was also the same if more expenisve.

I baught it at 600 euros...

insider9

This is silly. 50Wpc amp will drive Zensor 1 properly at listening distances mentioned. They are 86.5dB sensitive at 1m. With 50W you will take them to 97dB at 2 meters. Trust me you don't want that volume from these speakers. No reason to look at a different amp, not for speakers in question in this application. And suggesting Nad 3020i at 20Wpc even if it is more dynamic is just beyond silly.

Reactions: knaithrover

maxpain123

Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
I just don't really understand what ''more dynamic'' means? If we are talking about the same watts.

Is it like it has more ''drag'' if i may use a motorsports phrase? What does more dynamic means practically?

insider9

Gym here would be a good analogy. Imagine you bench pressing regularly and can do 4x10 reps of 50kg. I know that's not much but only an example. Think of it as your continuous power. However if you needed to you could do a few reps of say 70kg. This would be your dynamic power.

I would not worry about your setup as the amp you've got is absolutely fine driving your speakers. Should you ever consider as mentioned spending 600EUR I'd suggest a speaker change and keeping your amp.

maxpain123

Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
According to NAD website this amplifier has rated at 100watts dynamic power at 4 ohms.

It should be fine I guess.

Btw the room is 15-20 square meters and the setup is placed in the left corner of the room. Very close to the front wall and 2 meters away from the rear wall. It is also has a fairly 2-2.5 meters ceiling.

Maybe I am not satisfied by the sound because of the lack of the floor stands?

maxpain123

Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
Also if I would to spend 500-600 (or less) euros would it be a good upgrade (considering my amp) to go for the dali spektor 2?

Or for example the focal chora?

Or in the same price range the dali opticon?

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Zensors 3 must be more difficult to drive than zesnors1. Do you remember if you would crank up the volume at -40 or -20 to have a decent volume?

I usually I have it on -20 If I want a little higher volume.

All I remember is at approximately 6ft distance the D3020 drove the Zensor 3's easily at low and medium to loud volumes. I used the bass boost button on the back though for extra oomph. Like I said earlier I can't see an issue with the pairing you mention in the op

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts