NaimUniti plus what NAS or ripNAS-type device?

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I'd be interested to hear what NaimUniti owners are using as NAS or ripNAS-type devices? Are there any NAS's that are considered especially 'audio friendly'? It seems to me that there are two basic approaches:

Use dbpoweramp (or similar) to rip from my desktop PC and attach a NAS drive to my network. Do I need to make sure the NAS has any specific software running on it so that the Uniti finds the audio files?

Or use something like a ripNAS or VortexBox device.

Any thoughts/comment/suggestions would be appreciated.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Chebby, that's useful stuff. The synology option plus dbpoweramp does appear the more flexible option, not to mention somewhat cheaper than ripNAS and VortexBox!

redboxfile

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I have the Uniti and have been using it with the Netgear Readynas for 18 months now and it all works fine, no need for any additional software the navigation works fine out of the box. The only negative is the fan noise, so not good if it's in the same room. I have used it both on homeplug and wireless and both work fine. I use DBpoweramp to rip the CD's in Flac - the sound quality is excellent.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I'm about to embark on the same purchase for my Uniti and I wondered what you eventually decided to do. I'm steering towards the Synology at the moment...

Would be interested to here how you got on.

Thanks, Nigel

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
NPD said:
Hi, I'm about to embark on the same purchase for my Uniti and I wondered what you eventually decided to do. I'm steering towards the Synology at the moment...

Would be interested to here how you got on.

Thanks, Nigel

Welcome to the forums Nigel.

I did go for the Synology in the end - the DS2IIj with 2 x 1TB hard drives pre-installed - using dBpoweramp to rip from my PC. No problems at all setting it up, pretty simple I thought. The only 'issue' I had was that the Media Server isn't set up to transmit artwork by default - you have to check a tick box - but that was easily sorted.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
A very interesting and useful post - thanks to all contributors. The Synology kit looks good. Anyone know what HDD (make) they pre-install?

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I suggest getting a QNAP NAS and then following these simple instructions to install PS3 media server on it.

http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/PS3_Media_Server

Then you will have a UPNP NAS with a transcoding mediaserver that will play virtually any audio format, without the need for a pc.

It will also transcode video formats should you later add a suitable player.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts