Naim Unitiqute or Audiolab M-Dac + M-Pwr

SJCT99

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Building a digital music system for a small music listening room and with a small system size (important to the mrs). Speakers will be Neat Iota. Just need Amp + Dac. My current shortlist is Naim Unitiqute or Audiolab M-Dac + M-Pwr, will need to demo in due course but wondered if I should be considering any alternatives and if anyone has any insights into the strengths and weaknesses of the Naim and Audiolab options?

This caught my eye as I'm considering something similar for a cottage as my main system is elsewhere. The Naim and Neat combination crop up much more regularly than with Audiolab. Though I have always wanted to like Audiolab, I cannot say they have ever done much for me, and I certainly wouldn't want 2 boxes if one did the same. They do have a great reputation and their followers so if you like the idea it wold be worth a listen.

As to the UnitiQute, I'm tempted by the Lite not just because it has CD playback (which I would want) but a bit beefier too.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
As you don't need the streaming capabilities (or at least I assume you don't, with all that Sonos kit listed), I'd be looking to compare the Naim DAC-V1 and NAP 100 with the Audiolabs, rather than the UnitiQute.

Having heard both, I'd go for the Naims, simply because I felt they played music with more fluidity and conviction, whereas the Audiolabs sounded just a little bland and mechanical to me.

Your mileage may of course vary, which is why I'd suggest you listen to both.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I have the Naim unitiQute and NAP100 as my main system and even witout the NAP100 the Qute sounds very good to me. I also have a Audiolab CD8200 in my second (Bedroom system) which has a very good DAC, but I preffer the Naim system. The Audiolab is very detailed and analytical, while the Qute is much warmer and just a pleasure to listen to all day.

Come to think of it I can't remeber the last time I listened to the Audiolab CD8200, maybe it's time to find it a new home... ;)

Hayche

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a mdac with a creek 50a intergrated which has a power amp section. I like to think I have 2 modes of uses, audiophile mode is mdac as pre,everything has much more seperation and layered,kind of the naked trut.My other mode is the creek as the pre which introduces warmth and is a lot more musical.

I don't believe the mpwr is too great maybe look at a 8200p if you are happy with mdac as pre

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this is relevant.

I have Neat Iotas mounted on the wall in the dining room. I use the pre-amp section of a modded Sonos Connect (for the ease of use). Like you, I wanted a small-format power amp to drive the Iotas. I had the NAP 100 and the Musical Fidelity M1-PWR on home demo for a few days. For me, the MF was the clear winner: a more 3D sound, with more drive and oomph.

MF also do a DAC in the same range (M1-DAC).

Well worth trying IMO.

Matt

rainsoothe

matt49 said:
I don't know if this is relevant.

I have Neat Iotas mounted on the wall in the dining room. I use the pre-amp section of a modded Sonos Connect (for the ease of use). Like you, I wanted a small-format power amp to drive the Iotas. I had the NAP 100 and the Musical Fidelity M1-PWR on home demo for a few days. For me, the MF was the clear winner: a more 3D sound, with more drive and oomph.

MF also do a DAC in the same range (M1-DAC).

Well worth trying IMO.

Matt

i owned both the M1-DAC and the Naim DAC-V1 (which i'm currently using) and, besides the DAC-V1 being in a completely different league then the M1-DAC (which i liked), the Naim can also act as a preamp (which the MF M1-DAC can't).

Naim DAC-V1 is an awesome piece of kit imo. It makes music flow in a very special way.

OP: Try audition the Naim DAC-V1 + NAP100, even if it means stretching your budget a bit. You might find it's worth it.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd go with Naim too. I heard the Audiolab system on demo a while ago, found it very detailed but far to bright for my ears (gave me ear ache).

SJCT99

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
The Naim DAC-V1 + NAP100 combination is much more expensive than a UnitiQute, is the extra outlay worth it with Neat Iota speakers?

rainsoothe

Hm... well you should try to audition the stuff anyway. All i know is that i read quite a bunch of posts from people that are satisfied with the naim+neat combination on the naim forums. I guess you could ask there as well.

Only your ears can decide what is good for you, the Unityqute might be enough. Audition,audition, audition :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts