Naim uniti nova or Linn selekt dsm

Lioneleacher

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I appreciate that this is very much in the ear of the beholder but I have the choice between the two. The katalyst upgrade on the Linn is an option too. Price factors into the equation as well. The nova will cost me £2,400, the Linn with amp £2625 and the Linn with the katalyst £3,375. At these prices, where would your money go?

D

Deleted member 116933

They will both sound fine but it comes to how you get on with the software and what you like better,

I would be warry of buying the Naim its been out a number of years already and wouldn't be surprised if within the next year they have an update coming. The nova was first release announced in 2016, shipping towards the end of 2017 due to material problems and the merger with Focal. It's only a hunch but its getting long in the tooth now. But i just wouldn't be surprised if we see a V2 soon.

Can't comment on the Linn never used or heard one.

If it were my money ( and its not! im guessing your trading something in as well) id be looking at the supernait 3 (largely the Nova without the streamer but far better sounding )and adding a blue sound node 2i. IF you can deal with one extra box.

Streaming tech is moving so fast i can't solidly recommend either to you.

It will give you better sound and the blue sound is small enough that you could easily hide it away somewhere and the software is better FAR better. it really all they do and they do it right. and its a brilliant DAC in it own right.

Just my hot take and maybe something to discuss with the dealer.

But as i say either would sound great it will just come down to usability and what you like software wise.

Reactions: Lioneleacher
As a Linn DSM user I’d lean towards the Scottish product, because I’m familiar with most of Linn’s characteristics, or quirks some might say.

The largest difference might well be in that Linn offers Space Optimisation. This enables you to match your speakers ideally to your room, even when they aren’t in their ideal locations - very much the case for many folks here.

Both prices are significantly less than original RRP, so consider the backup. Linn offer a 5 year transferable warranty, some of which may still be valid. Naim don’t say if their extended option is transferable, but they will fix any of their designs, however ancient.

rainsoothe

You gotta listen to both, really. I heard a non-katalyst Selekt with Revel Performa M106 and it sounded, looked and worked amazing. However, I do still prefer Naim, because it feels like it times better (and I do listen a lot of prog, so that matters a lot to me). That's why it's important to let your ears decide.

manicm

They will both sound fine but it comes to how you get on with the software and what you like better,

I would be warry of buying the Naim its been out a number of years already and wouldn't be surprised if within the next year they have an update coming. The nova was first release announced in 2016, shipping towards the end of 2017 due to material problems and the merger with Focal. It's only a hunch but its getting long in the tooth now. But i just wouldn't be surprised if we see a V2 soon.

Can't comment on the Linn never used or heard one.

If it were my money ( and its not! im guessing your trading something in as well) id be looking at the supernait 3 (largely the Nova without the streamer but far better sounding )and adding a blue sound node 2i. IF you can deal with one extra box.

Streaming tech is moving so fast i can't solidly recommend either to you.

It will give you better sound and the blue sound is small enough that you could easily hide it away somewhere and the software is better FAR better. it really all they do and they do it right. and its a brilliant DAC in it own right.

Just my hot take and maybe something to discuss with the dealer.

But as i say either would sound great it will just come down to usability and what you like software wise.

A bit of scaremongering on your part. Yes the current Naim platform is several years old now, but it’s still bang up to date - with Tidal Connect upcoming to all the current streaming products. Naim has no plans whatsoever to support MQA, so I don’t know how it will become obsolete in the medium term.

The Linn Selekt is more flexible if, for example, you want to go the home cinema route. Otherwise both the Naim and Linn are excellent products, but I suspect the Naim sound is more accessible. And neither it seems will ever support MQA.

D

Deleted member 116933

A bit of scaremongering on your part. Yes the current Naim platform is several years old now, but it’s still bang up to date - with Tidal Connect upcoming to all the current streaming products. Naim has no plans whatsoever to support MQA, so I don’t know how it will become obsolete in the medium term.

The Linn Selekt is more flexible if, for example, you want to go the home cinema route. Otherwise both the Naim and Linn are excellent products, but I suspect the Naim sound is more accessible. And neither it seems will ever support MQA.

How is it it’s stating the obvious. It’s been out 6 years all I’m saying is there must be something new round the corner. And being that old no it’s not up to date at all. Most of us don’t have computers that old. Heck I’d feel far more comfortable recommending the newly released kef wireless 2s.

As I said in my post both I’m sure sound great.

4K for a medium term recommendation lol. How do you know what naim have planned. I wouldn’t buy a 6year old computer and I certainly wouldn’t buy a 6 year old streaming platform not for 2-4k

manicm

How is it it’s stating the obvious. It’s been out 6 years all I’m saying is there must be something new round the corner. And being that old no it’s not up to date at all. Most of us don’t have computers that old. Heck I’d feel far more comfortable recommending the newly released kef wireless 2s.

As I said in my post both I’m sure sound great.

4K for a medium term recommendation lol. How do you know what naim have planned. I wouldn’t buy a 6year old computer and I certainly wouldn’t buy a 6 year old streaming platform not for 2-4k

The Naim Uniti range is NOT 6 years old, please get your facts straight before shooting off.

The current range was launched in 2017. And regardless, you are just needlessly scaremongering.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts