Naim nait xs

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I have recent post about me being in upgrading my current av setup to a dedicated stereo system.

I have an arcam av250 arcam dv79 and monitor audio rs6

Im going to demo Cyrus 8dac with a 6 cd player, arcam a38 and arcam cd player cd17

Now I want to look into naim and have huge interest in the nait xs . All reviews look amazing and look to be the amp I want.

Can anyone talk about experiences with this amp? What it sounds like compare to the other 2 in question.

I like the smooth sound of arcam but want a bit more punch, excitement from current system. I will keep the speakers for now and upgrade the amp first then cd then speakers if need be

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah thought that may be the case.

If that's what it takes to get where I wanna be I may need to upgrade the amp then speakers then?

When getting the right speakers does the naim perform? Very interested in what I have read.

PMC gbi look great?

Hi Dean

The biggest problem I envisage with upgrading to the Cyrus or Naim is those speakers. I love RS6s but not ideal outside of Arcam, Creek or Roksan.

Clearly the dem will tell you whether the presentation is right for you or not.

If possible try and get a home dem as room acoustics will be essential in your position.

The XS is a fabulous amp. It lives up to all the written bravado, like the Nait 5i, but horrid with RS6s. You need to be looking at PMC GB1i, Neat, Spendor or Dynaudio...

Dean Morris said:
Yeah thought that may be the case.

When getting the right speakers does the naim perform? Very interested in what I have read.

PMC gbi look great?

In a word... yes. I've heard the XS with Spendor SA-1, Dynaudio Contour S1.4, RS6s (of course), MA GS10s and PMC DB1is. For my tastes, the Dyns and PMC are the pick of the crop.

The odd thing about hi-fi is you can have the greatest components but won't necessarily achieve the best sound.

I would also shortlist Totem Arros. Not heard with Naim but have read they are very competent combo.

PMC, Dyns, Totem Arro and MonoPulse 32S, if you can source the latter... and cope with the migraine-inducing colours, they are superb with Naim. :)

I've never really got on with Cyrus gear. To my ears they grate, fingernails down a blackboard.

Certainly if you don't have the desire to change the speakers then Arcam A38 is a wonderful option. Having owned Arcam amps for 17 years I've not heard better synergy outside of silly money. Likewise Creek is another good match. Or if you want to go to a 'Class A' amp, Audio Analogue should fit the bill nicely. TBH though, in comparison with Naim, Roksan and Leema Audio Analogue sounds a bit dull.

It's all terribly subjective and you may have the opposite view.

Good luck.

Dean Morris said:
That's great I will audition them with the rs6 and different speakers.

I see you went for leema pulse and rs6's. Better than the naim in your ears?

Yes, I dem'd allsorts, over a two year period (and using a plethora of speakers), including XS, Roksan Caspian but always returned to the Leema. The difference between the Naim, Caspian, Audio Analougue and Leema was minimal. All of them have merits but the phono stage and shed-load of inputs swung it Leema's way.

Technically, and in some areas, the Naim and Caspian have the edge but in terms of pure fun and excitement the Leema is way out on its own. I wouldn't swap it for any other amp (unless it dies or I want to downgrade)

Contrary to reviews I've never found the Pulse to be bright. It is immensely lively, and probably the closest I've heard to a live performance. That's a naff statement but when I say LIVE performance that's meant in terms of how you feel when you go to a concert - the goosebump, the smile on the face.

It is a bonkers amp IMO.

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I demoed the NAIM, Cyrus 8A and Leema - all at home with my RS6 speakers.

I'd agree with PPs opinions.

I also ended up with the Leema :)

A

Anonymous

+1 PMC Would be my choice with the XS, i used to have the xs with some DB1i's and they were very good, although i do prefer what i have now.. :dance:

Dean Morris said:
Do leema sounds popular. Is there big difference with the different mk's. I do need something that sounds great at low volumes.

Mmatch well with monitor audio rs6's

Because I have a young family one of the main attributes is to play well at idling levels. Out of all the amps I've dem'd the Leema is one of the best.

Couldn't go into detail about MKIII version, but SQ should be similar or same. Leema, from what I've been told, has pretty much a 'House' sound.

Whether it'll match well with RS6s will depend on source and room acoustics.

Edit - Just seen this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leema-Acoustics-Pulse-Black-Excellent-condition-/190713746987?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2c676cd62b Worth keeping an eye on...

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
That's the thing too I have a little baby live in a terrace house so being about to get good low volume sound is very important. It's one thing that I feel my arcam setup does do particular well.

The only thing with leema is there is no upgrades? No power amp to bi amp?

My exciting setup sounds similar to yours as my source is a an arcam player with rs6's

How would describe the leema house sound? What the amp team up better with the leema cd player? How does it compare to an arcam setup pro's and con's. I hear leema has an arcam sound, smooth and neutral but it's more powerful, better bass and more exciting listen?

Dean Morris said:
That's the thing too I have a little baby live in a terrace house so being about to get good low volume sound is very important. It's one thing that I feel my arcam setup does do particular well.

The only thing with leema is there is no upgrades? No power amp to bi amp?

My exciting setup sounds similar to yours as my source is a an arcam player with rs6's

How would describe the leema house sound? What the amp team up better with the leema cd player? How does it compare to an arcam setup pro's and con's. I hear leema has an arcam sound, smooth and neutral but it's more powerful, better bass and more exciting listen?

This my interpretation:

Pros: They are very pacey with powerful bass definition; good clarity and detail levels; major in stereo imaging and dynamics; low level listening is very good.

Cons: Lacks a little precision; could do with slightly warmer midrange; rubbish remote control.

Conclusion: If you like to analyse your music, scrutinise every track choose another make. If, on the other hand, you like music to be fun then the Pulse could be the ticket. You really won't think about upgrading with a power amp, the Pulse is a genuine 'keeper'.

Misconceptions: Some reviews say the Pulse lacks bass depth. Not really. Yes, compared to the Naim XS or Caspian (compared side-by-side) it may just miss on the very deepest of bass notes in comparison, but in isolation it'll sound as big and bold as any amp. Yes, the midrange could do with a touch more richness but more than makes up for it in realism.

Yup, Arcam/Leema/RS6 is a very good combo. The only caveat, as I've mentioned before, is if your room is reflective that could tip the Leema over the line from sparkly to harsh. Then again, the same could be said about most amps with RS6s.

I have mentioned before that the Pulse, soundwise, has the attack of a Naim and the finesse of Arcam. To my ears, the Pulse has a sweeter tonal balance than Cyrus or Naim. It isn't perfect by any stretch but I love it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts