Naim Nait XS with Supra Mains block - is it just me?

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I own the two products mentioned in the subject.

I tested a burned in XS before I purchased. Then after getting my own, and after being told that the XS need many many hours of burn in, I thought that the slightly restrained and lean sound coming from my XS - this time getting its juice via my Supra mains block - was because it was brand new and still needed burn in. After two months of ownership I was beginning to doubt my ears, and remembered that I had tested the XS without the Supra block. I then read the manuals and found that the Supra supposedly supports 13VA in each plug on the mains block, but my Naim Nait XS's specs states that it uses 30VA.

So after reading this, I decided to remove my XS from the mains block and plug it directly into the wall socket, leaving the Supra for my blu-ray, turntable, dac and so on. And boy did that make a difference!

The sound opened up, the bass got firmer, the detail level went up several notches and the control of even complex, fast music was magnificent.

I am so happy :)

NB The reason I'm using the Supra is due to many spikes in my power source.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Because Naim pay much attention to their power supplies, they have always stated that using external mains conditioners and the like doens't normally improve their equipment, and can possibly degrade things. So I'm not surprised you have come across the findings you have.

A

Anonymous

Everbody will agree with you including myself..i have 3 power products and after all this, both my amps will be plugged straight into the wall.

A

Anonymous

You would have to have a 30amp plug top fuse on the naim then? i have never seen one of those like lol
emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

No,

Not just you at all, no amp (especially Naim) should be restricted by these strangling devices......

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
i came to the same conclusion with my Arcam A32 - once i took the plug out of the tacima and into the main plus and added a decent Powerkord it was an amazing difference

some of these extension blocks really dont help power amplifiers one bit

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
This is all interesting stuff, I was considering either a Tacima mains conditioner or a Isotek minisub but now I am having second thoughts.
emotion-42.gif
Maybe I'll look at the Powerline, etc. instead!

A

Anonymous

Peter,

what do you mean by 13VA ?? volts, amps, watts (V x A)....

jules.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
The Tacima i use on the TV only and it does make for a better overall picture, the colours are more vivid and the detail is better than with out it.
I've never tried it on the Hi-Fi.
I've also got an Mini sub MK1 which i have had for years. I bought it when i was in a flat because we had some earthing issues and it did help with the noise floor being reduced. Since then i have moved twice and it hasn't been out of the system so i'm not sure how it would sound without it. I now have a noisy mains with dimmers in so i'll leave it in for now but i have toyed with the idea of using a PurePower unit as this is battery powered but charged simultaneously from the mains. This gives the Hi-Fi total isolation from the mains with no noise at all.
From experience i've found both the Tacima and Mini-sub product to be good.

TRENDING THREADS