Naim - my new system?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I can't relate to very much being said in this thread - regarding Naim kit - and it is not my place to 'defend' it. (Despite enjoying my own particular system and a few other Naim items that impressed at the time.)

Best answer - and the only one that matters (in my opinion) - is to say that if you don't like it, then send it back. There will be something out there that you can love right from the get-go with no qualifications about warm up times etc.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JohnNewman:arashid:they do. Naim say all their products need 6-8 weeks run in time
Ah! Run in, not warm up! That I can understand.

However if the OP is using pre-run in demo equipment, then he shouldn't have an issue.

Despite my criticism and afromentioned 'short comings' notwithstanding, it is the best separates system I've had here which either says a lot about this Naim one or not so much about the others which in many ways didn't seem an improvement on what I currently use.

And yes, it is the same amplifier I heard before so it is run in. The player is newer but also a demo model and used regularely.

But it's just to much money. Not a problem and I am now listening to my own system again. I will probably try an ATC system in the near future though it is out of my budget at present with anything other than 11's, that's without a source.

drummerman:

JohnNewman:arashid:they do. Naim say all their products need 6-8 weeks run in time Ah! Run in, not warm up! That I can understand. However if the OP is using pre-run in demo equipment, then he shouldn't have an issue.

Despite my criticism and afromentioned 'short comings' notwithstanding, it is the best separates system I've had here which either says a lot about this Naim one or not so much about the others which in many ways didn't seem an improvement on what I currently use.

And yes, it is the same amplifier I heard before so it is run in. The player is newer but also a demo model and used regularely.

But it's just to much money. Not a problem and I am now listening to my own system again. I will probably try an ATC system in the near future though it is out of my budget at present with anything other than 11's, that's without a source.

Think AVI actives will probably suit your wallet and probably needs. You used to rave over them, so I'm surprised it's not near the top of your wish list.
emotion-5.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:Think AVI actives will probably suit your wallet and probably needs. You used to rave over them, so I'm surprised it's not near the top of your wish list.
emotion-5.gif

I thought Drummerman already owned AVI ADM9.1s. So I was suprised at the Naim demo too.

matthewpiano

I think it probably says most about how good your Denon/MS combination is Drummerman. It seems like you hit on something special with that and it is going to be hard to justify extra expense without a decent improvement.

chebby:

plastic penguin:Think AVI actives will probably suit your wallet and probably needs. You used to rave over them, so I'm surprised it's not near the top of your wish list.
emotion-5.gif

I thought Drummerman already owned AVI ADM9.1s. So I was suprised at the Naim demo too.

On a post from about 2-3 weeks ago he mentioned how nice it was to come home and listen to his Denon set-up
emotion-43.gif

The plot thickens....

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
JohnNewman:JamesOK:
JohnNewman:Do they really take that long to warm up. I would have thought that any power going through the components would warm it up much quicker than that.

I am certainly sceptical about a lot of Hifi theories, but I know from my own experience the warm up thing with Naim is essential.

Interesting. Was this just for the first time, and so doubled up as the run-in period or is this the case every time you power it down?

I turn my system on and off probably about twice a week as I work away at some points during the week and the idea of leaving it on to heat the house - which is already heated - does not appeal to me!

So basically I find when you first turn it on, if you play a CD straight away, it just sounds a bit harsh. As it warms up, over and hour or so it just sounds more musical.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
chebby: FrankHarveyHiFi:Personally, I wouldn't say the PMC's are the best match for Naim,

The naimuniti demo I had was from Jason Gould (of Naim). He specifically chose the PMC GB1i speakers to partner it for the best results.

Maybe that would be his choice, but we're all different. I'm not overly keen on the PMC's with the 5.25" bass/mid drivers (DB1i/GB1i).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
SC:You will also find over the course of a week the sound will fluctuate....
No more than any other equipment would also fluctuate due to mains/time of day/personal mood/popping your ears etc.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
potboyslim: Listened to some top Naim kit last week with b7w 805's and some MA PL100's. To be honest, was not bowled over by them. It was some of their top models, and it did not stir my loins as I was expecting.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't say that either of those speakers are the perfect match for the Naim stuff.

JamesPianoman

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby:

I can't relate to very much being said in this thread - regarding Naim kit - and it is not my place to 'defend' it. (Despite enjoying my own particular system and a few other Naim items that impressed at the time.)

Best answer - and the only one that matters (in my opinion) - is to say that if you don't like it, then send it back. There will be something out there that you can love right from the get-go with no qualifications about warm up times etc.

Completely agree. FWIW, happily I'm enjoying my system from the get-go!
emotion-5.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:chebby:

emotion-5.gif

On a post from about 2-3 weeks ago he mentioned how nice it was to come home and listen to his Denon set-up
emotion-43.gif

The plot thickens....

No plot. After opening the cafe I had no spare money for hifi. I do enjoy what I got here now but improved finances mean I could get a new one. What I won't do is change for the sake of it and so far, that's unfortunately almost the case though I did say that the Naim is better. Just not that much better.

The AVI's are very good but I have a little bit more to spend so lets wait and see.

I would say that I may just keep what I got and go on a nice holiday instead but I don't have the time for that either ...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:The AVI's are very good but I have a little bit more to spend...

But isn't that supposed to be the point of ADM9.1s? (That they are better than 'seperates' systems costing many times more.)

A

Anonymous

Well they're bloody good for £1k. They're good for £2k. Not sure whether they keep up at above that price though, especially if there's a particular variation of sound you're looking for, or should I say colour.

idc

bobbyg81:

If your not 110% convinced dont buy them, Its alot of money to spend in the hope that theyll sound better warmed up. This shouldnt take long anyway so that shouldnt be an issue.

As for 'getting used to the sound'. If you bought any product youd probably get used to it. If I was parting with that amount of cash Id want a significant performance increase.

You say it sounded better before. This could be the room acoustics etc but maybe youre just thinking logically. Things can always seem better until it comes to handing over the cash. Thats when its true worth comes to light. If it was that good you wouldnt hesitate.

Couldn't agree more. Why buy something you don't like the sound of in the hope that it will 'run' 'burn' in and you will get 'used' to the sound? I only buy what I am happy with in the first place. Getting used to something suggests toleration and effort to adapt. I am in control of my system, it does not control me.

I also think that it is brilliant to be in a situation where you do hear far more expensive kit and think, mine is better or at least just as good.

Lastly in my little rant is, different is not necessarily better. Different is a sideways move and to what point when you are happy in the first place.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
drummerman:The AVI's are very good but I have a little bit more to spend...

But isn't that supposed to be the point of ADM9.1s? (That they are better than 'seperates' systems costing many times more.)

Bit of sarcasm there chebby ... ?
emotion-11.gif

They are good indeed, period but it was the Naim system that impressed me most recently. Just shows how important a home trial is if anyone is in doubt.

A

Anonymous

hi everybody

i am terminaly ill with the big C and i thought i would get the best system i could. i spoke with paul hobson at moorgate acoustics and we narrowed it down to the nait xs and the cyrus which be cause i cannot travel far he brought them both to my home set them up and left them with me for 7 days. i thought the nait xs was miles better and phoned paul up to order me a nait xs cd5xs and a flatcap power supply. at first iwas using my epos but then bought a pair of mowgan artio stand mounters and they brought down from just outside glasgow by bill the designer and it sounds superb in my room. after a few weeks i am still amassed at the sound i get in my bedroom. the new range seems to be better than earlyer naims.it always suprises me what cne soud superb in one room and rubbish in somebodys room. hpe you get yourself sorted. i think i am lucky that in my room both my av rig and hifi rig sound superb.

glyn21
emotion-2.gif

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
god that's terrible news, i hope your feeling ok and wish you well for the future.

sounds like you got excellent service from the dealer and speaker designer, there really is no substitute for demoing kit in your own room. despite all the issues with some recordings and rubbish production, it's amazing how good music can sound on a well matched system. really glad yours hits the spot!
emotion-21.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
glyn21:....then bought a pair of mowgan artio stand mounters and they brought down from just outside glasgow by bill the designer and it sounds superb in my room.

Thanks Glyn for telling us about a brand I have never heard of. I will have a better read of their website later.

I was immediately struck by the quote on the top of the Mowgan Audio homepage....
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is just and beautiful."
I can only echo them in wishing you all of that in your musical enjoyment.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:
Un-boxed and playing for the last few hours; Naim XS/CD5XS/PMCGB1i/Naim cables throughout except for my tuner.

I wished I could be more enthusiastic, especially after my acquaintance with said Naim components a few months ago. It just does'nt involve me the way I remember, not even with my speakers which I used then. Fair enough, my living room is a different lay-out but there is a lack of transparency which is disconcerting. Yes, it does some things better than my current humble system but in a few other areas, it leaves me slightly wanting. It's slightly weightier sounding, projects with a bit more solidity and has a tad more drive/punch but it sounds more different than better. It lacks the transparency and sound stage width, height and order. I know Naim amps are frequency limited to around 20khz or thereabout, which in theory should'nt make to much of an audible difference but compared to my amp, which apparently has a wide-band output stage, it seems slightly 'sat on'.

I only have it today as my time to audition hifi is limited. As it stands, I doubt I can justify spending £4000 or 3k on this system. The speakers where never in the equation anyway but I needed a comparison to my own which worked well with the Naims last time round.

If I was blind listening I'd probably be confused. The Naim is probably more impressive initially and is the better system but I think I'd miss the easy detail of what I have now.

These are demo models and are usually switched on permanent for most of the time anyway. I am slightly perplexed as I liked it more on the last occasion. Either my memory is not great or the room made a big difference. In any case I like to think I have enough 'hifi experience/exposure' to make up for that and hear the fundamentals of a system, or so I hope.

Maybe I'm just not 'tuned in' properly today ...

Try some Neat speakers- match made in heaven with Naim they say :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts