NAIM DAC A WORTHWHILE UPGRADE ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have been holding back on upgrade for the last few months but have an itch now and some money to burn

Like what Naim Dac can do .

I currently use Bersford Caiman dac as per my signature but would like to know if with mys system I can really benefit from this serious upgrade to Naim

I wonder because my CD 5X has no digital in or out if there is any direct benefit to me - can I plug the Naim Dac straight into the Nait XS from a laptop or is there a way of using my CD 5X ?

Comments , advice appreciated

Cheers

SIGNATURE

AV : Denon 2309 Nait XS , Spendor A6 fronts, Band W 685 rears, sub, CM1 centre, Pana 35 BD , qed cable to surrounds, NACA5 to fronts

Stereo: Nait CD 5X, Nait XS, Flat cap 2x , Spendor A6 , Beresford Caiman Dac, NACA5

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The CD5X does not have the required digital output (SPDIF or digital coax) to exploit the Naim DAC. (As you have already observed)

The updated CD5 XS does though.

You will only be able to plug your laptop directly into the DAC if the laptop has an optical (Toslink/SPDIF) output.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I remember hearing the CD5X & Nait XS (1st gen before expensive 'facelift') and it was superb already.

Given that you already have the Flatcap 2X, I really can't see anywhere to 'go' with your Naim kit without doubling the budget (and losing out on selling stuff as well).

The Caiman is about as far as it goes with £250 USB DACs unless you jump to something like a Benchmark DAC1 USB (almost a £grand). Is it worth it for the amount of time you spend playing computer based audio?

If you are desperate to spend cash then there are Naim Powerlines (£395 each!) which you should be able to demo at home first if you have a good relationship with your Naim dealer. I have not heard them - and I have misgivings about such products - but you may love them.

In your position I would spend the £2K on the AV side of things and either....

1) 'Homogenise' your speakers by going all Spendor with rears and centre to match the A6's

or...

2) Get a £2K AV receiver.

A

Anonymous

Chebby - good man, always rely on you ! So basically can't improve my CD 5X with the Naim dac but could upgrade the Caiman sound via latop

what other tricks can the Naim DAC perform eg can I run my sky hd through it ?

At the moment I put that through the Denon 2309 pre outs and unity gain on the XS to give surrounnd and a comprised stereo

While I've got you - I remember you as a Rega fan at least with the RS 3 speakers but I see that you have gone and Naimed it !

Why ?

I am seriously thinking Rega Apollo / Brio into Neat Motive 2's - what do you reckon ?

cheers

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Magnum Opus:I am seriously thinking Rega Apollo / Brio into Neat Motive 2's - what do you reckon ?

Err, why?

As much as I liked the Apollo (and the Brio 3 when I heard it last) they would not be a patch on your CD5X/Nait XS/Flatcap 2X.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
The CD5X does not have the required digital output (SPDIF or digital coax) to exploit the Naim DAC. (As you have already observed)

The updated CD5 XS does though.

You will only be able to plug your laptop directly into the DAC if the laptop has an optical (Toslink/SPDIF) output.

or if you use a usb to spdif convertor.

A

Anonymous

the why is for a second system in my office/ study

I have a Denon TU18 tuner a modded Beresford 7520 and an old Denob 1803 av receiver and a sony bd360 acting as a source along with my computer with PMC DB1s

so it's crying out for some serious attention

I guess it's a matter of enjoying a different sound other than naim

Actually Rega seems close in some ways to the Naim sound

Listening as I am now to my beresford caiman through the Nait XS and Spendors it is hard to see how much improvement I'D get unless I was prepared to pay Naim Dac prices

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Bodfish:Or presumably you could be really radical and just use one of the two USB inputs on the DAC itself?

I had no idea Naim had put USB on their DAC !!

Is it proper USB (that you can connect a laptop/PC with) or that sort of 'memory stick only' USB?

[Scurries off to check Naim website.]

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
To be honest I'm not sure. I have used a USB memory stick with a Hi Def 24bit album I downloaded off Naims music store but I didn't realise they could be different. It'll accept an iPhone via the USB and that means anything?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I just checked Naim's specs. Memory sticks only. WAV only supported format (USB).

The front and rear USB connectors override each other. (So effectively same connection.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts