NAD C356BEE DAC. A decent upgrade?

dellroy

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Finally decided that I am going to upgrade to single amp/dac to play my streaming a digitally stored music. Wife doesn't like the extra wires of a seperate dac amp, and has even decided to split the cost of the upgrade with me. So I want to set out and demo a couple of amps. Budget is £600.

I can get hold of an ex display Nad 356bee DAC for £500, which seems like a great buy. Would this be a big upgrade from my current amp (see signature). I have read some great customer reviews on this. An alternative would be Rotel RA 12 or Quad Vena. Both a bit more expensive.

Just after advice as I need to focus my attention on a demo as I will have to travel some distance and to different places to test the,.

Thanks

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I think that it will be a significant upgrade from the Denon, but I would always suggest that you listen to it first (ideally with the rest of your system) before buying.

NAD amplifiers are known to have a 'weighty' sound (especially in the bass) and so the type of music that you listen to may assist in whether the C356BEE is right for you.

Alternatively I would try the Quad Vena, or the Rega Brio-R (with a seperate DAC of course).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Sadly your budget isn't quite enough to get you anything really interesting. The Quad looks good on paper but I have yet to see one, let alone hear one.

A little more money will get you an Creek50a with Ruby dac module or maybe a Peachtree Nova. Very competent amplifiers in their different ways and very much the sort of thing that I (as a known contrary b*stard) would by.

If I thought I would be streaming a lot of Spotify, I might even take a look at the Nad D7050.

dellroy

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Are NAD amps usually a good match for the Zensor 3 speakers? Would the Bassy sound of the NAD be too much for them?

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I also think the NAD would be a great choice for your Zensor3,a very entertaining combo.Tone controls would help if you find something is not right.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts