Naim CD5XS to Naim CDX2

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,
I have the opportunity to trade in my CD5XS for a used CDX2 2004 model and in view of the age of the latter, I'm not sure whether to go for it.
What would you do in my position?
Thanks in advance.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I think that you should ask this on the Naim Forum. They can be a bit hardcore, but you're bound to get several people who have made exactly this trade-up, or at least compared the two, who will be able to advise you.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi all, I have the opportunity to trade in my CD5XS for a used CDX2 2004 model and in view of the age of the latter, I'm not sure whether to go for it. What would you do in my position? Thanks in advance.

Nice system. Have you considered a Sugden CDP...... or are you quite decided on Naim (nothing wrong with that) and I can't help you with that decision (sorry).

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Hi all, I have the opportunity to trade in my CD5XS for a used CDX2 2004 model and in view of the age of the latter, I'm not sure whether to go for it. What would you do in my position? Thanks in advance.

Nice system. Have you considered a Sugden CDP...... or are you quite decided on Naim (nothing wrong with that) and I can't help you with that decision (sorry).

Must Admit never demoed a Sugden CDP they tend to make pretty expensive machines. The CDX2 on offer is going for a fraction of it's original price and I do like the Naim sound.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
You will get more of the 'Naim sound' that you like by selling the A21L and buying a used Nait XS to partner the CD5XS and drive those Proacs.

As it happens, the same dealer does have a used XS and I did mute the idea, but the Sugden is such a good amp, thought it might be a step backwards. I'm going to try and get home demoes for both... it's the only way!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think you are doing the right thing in getting a home demo. The Sugden is a great amp and you obviously like the Synergy with the Naim ie. PRAT + Class A (that sounds like an insult, but you know what I mean :) ).

Can you get the history of the CDX2, or speak to its past owner ie was it played 8 hrs a week or 8 hrs a day.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I think you are doing the right thing in getting a home demo. The Sugden is a great amp and you obviously like the Synergy with the Naim ie. PRAT + Class A (that sounds like an insult, but you know what I mean :) ). Can you get the history of the CDX2, or speak to its past owner ie was it played 8 hrs a week or 8 hrs a day.

You're absolutely right CnoEvil and whilst I can't speak to the prev owner, I will quiz the dealer with regards to it's extent of use.

TRENDING THREADS