Naim Audio Nait3 upgrade

gylo

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
I have the above amp running some Polk Audio speakers and a Marantz CD player with a Apple Airport Express into the AUX.

All my music is on computer, to be fair a lot of average MP3's.

I just want a replacement for the amp, an all in one amp streamer type thing that could be on the wifi or ethenet over powerline.

Obvsiously I can see Niam do some great stuff, but i dont know which device is best or if cheaper alternatives are available, say £500?

Cheers!

Hugh56

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Suggest servicing your Nait 3 with new capacitors. Sell the CD player and Airport Express and buy a Raspberry Pi2/3 loaded with volumio software and a Chord Mojo dac. You will have one amazing system. Don't foget to use NAC5 cables.

Forget upgrade to the Nait 5 series as Naim has lost the plot since 2000, I believed the closest to the Nait 3 is the 5Si. You really need to upgrade to a Nait SX to see any noticable improvements if you want Naim equipment. Adding a HiCap power supply might be an option to the Nait 3. Don't bother chasing around all in one ampifiers, you will be disappointed. You will be able to select your music from the Pi off your mobile phone, iPod/Pad or computer and is capable of streaming high resolution files and has Airplay capability.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hugh56 said:
Suggest servicing your Nait 3 with new capacitors. Sell the CD player and Airport Express and buy a Raspberry Pi2/3 loaded with volumio software and a Chord Mojo dac. You will have one amazing system. Don't foget to use NAC5 cables.

Forget upgrade to the Nait 5 series as Naim has lost the plot since 2000, I believed the closest to the Nait 3 is the 5Si. You really need to upgrade to a Nait SX to see any noticable improvements if you want Naim equipment. Adding a HiCap power supply might be an option to the Nait 3. Don't bother chasing around all in one ampifiers, you will be disappointed. You will be able to select your music from the Pi off your mobile phone, iPod/Pad or computer and is capable of streaming high resolution files and has Airplay capability.

Raspery Pi is hardly an easy solution (nor as neat as an integrated one) unless you know what you're doing no?

Hugh56

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
The raspberry pi is not difficult to set up, It could be done by a 10 year old. Giving up a Nait 3 and you will be in to some disappointment. I hope you find a solution on this forum.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Don't go near a Raspberry Pi unless you want to spend hours fiddling. Great piece of kit in the right hands, but for everyone else . . . no!

I think your price bracket might be restrictive. I may have said something like a Naim UnitiLite otherwise.

Hugh56

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Agreed, the Unitlite is the bare minimum you should be looking at, but you need to consider increasing your budget to a sensible amount. It more for listening to music rather than the HiFi. Well recomended. Sound quality is not Nait 3 standard, but close.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts