Naim Atom

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
But if it's dodgy sound quality on Spotify it could possibly be Spotify's fault you might find Spotify hi res might sound fine it's really a case of wait and see, or at least that's what I am doing. Always hopeful.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
grimharry said:
But if it's dodgy sound quality on Spotify it could possibly be Spotify's fault you might find Spotify hi res might sound fine it's really a case of wait and see, or at least that's what I am doing. Always hopeful.

As always, if you get a decent recording/production Spotify, even in it's premium, though still 'lossy' form, sounds great. Less good recordings naturally sound less good and it is these recordings that are the source of my concern.

I play a lot of music that is fresh and new to me, though the actual age of the music or the recording is irrelevant. I do not have 'favourites' that I play over and over again, that, mostly, is not my way, so buying music to 'own' is largely pointless. Spotify has easily the best selection across the board and I am reasonably happy with the interface, so much so, that when I trialed lossless streaming from Tidal, Qobuz etc, the lack of content and less good interface was more distracting and dissapointing than any possible improvement in quality.

Playing some Troels Hammer at the moment, beautiful ambient style to start the day, good recording too, it is hard to imagine what a Linn or Naim streamer could do to improve what I am hearing right now, and even if they could, would it matter?

I'm just wondering if it's the record companies that could be slowing the process of Spotify going to a hi-res format( or indeed if they have any say at all)As once Spotify get cd quality streaming on the go,...how many of us are going to carry on buying cd's if you can just stream that quality at your leisure...it could be a big financial loss to the big and small labels.hence the reason I wonder if they have a say in this and the reason Spotify haven't already released it....yes I know tidal and qobuzz are already there but Spotify is in a different league....if you just look at the size of their catalogue.

Dave the extra quality only matters if it matters to you and no one else.....

Also don't be afraid to go second hand with theses premium boxes from linn or naim....remember there is no moving parts and they tend to be very reliable..I got my superuniti second hand from a Glasgow dealership which was sold by them originally to a lovely mature couple from Aberdeen.£1400 less than the original price.And I know people say naim are marmite but the sound is very smooth,a bit like my previous nait xs but with more control.I think the sound that most on the forum aren't particularly fond of is maybe the entry level integrated and some of the pre/power combos from yesteryear as moving from arcam myself it really didn't sound like a negative step or so different,just better.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Dave the extra quality only matters if it matters to you and no one else.....

Also don't be afraid to go second hand with theses premium boxes from linn or naim....remember there is no moving parts and they tend to be very reliable..I got my superuniti second hand from a Glasgow dealership which was sold by them originally to a lovely mature couple from Aberdeen.£1400 less than the original price.And I know people say naim are marmite but the sound is very smooth,a bit like my previous nait xs but with more control.I think the sound that most on the forum aren't particularly fond of is maybe the entry level integrated and some of the pre/power combos from yesteryear as moving from arcam myself it really didn't sound like a negative step or so different,just better.

I have been around the hi-fi block a good few times and I know that the most musically enjoyable systems are not always the best hi-fi systems and vice versa. The aim is to improve the musical experiance, not the hi-fi, which is where it gets difficult.

My speakers are, I believe, very transparent. Clarity is of a very high order and most of the bloom and boxiness sound of most conventional speakers is missing, this gives them an almost crystaline quality, super at more modest levels.

I am concerned that adding more 'resolution' may actually lead to a less relaxed more analytical sound which is probably not what I want, but I am concerned that if I make the effort and do the dems, I shall get carried away bi the 'hi-fi ness' of it all and I don't really want to go down that route.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I an not afraid to go down the secondhand route but Linn or Naim streamers are actually quite rare and quite expensive.

I see a Uniqute 2 as a relatively affordable option, though they still fetch the best part of £1k. I was hoping that the release of the Atom might bring a few 'qutes to the secondhand market but that is not the case as yet, maybe a bit early?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
grimharry said:
What I was trying to say was that if Spotify hi res did happen you may be happy with what you have.

What you are getting at, good observation.

My most recent attempt at lossless was a trial of Tidal on my current setup. I went to quite a lot of trouble to compare like with like, same versions of the same albums and all that. Given that the switchover was no where near instant I could not really hear much difference so I chose to 'live with' Tidal for a while and see what happened when I reverted to Spotify.

All I can say is that there were no withdrawal symptons whatsoever, in fact I was rather relieved and pleased to return to Spotify for it's breadth of catologue and familier interface.

I'm sure a few unitiqute ii's and superuniti's will start to come up on the market due to the new uniti range gradually being released but the problem is that they still fetch decent money...a problem for the buyer but a nice sellers market,but Dave you have active speakers and the amp section would be wasted and irrelevant to you...and yes the nd5xs is still very expensive even used examples aren't far off the price I paid for the superuniti and it has everything on board.

The problem with active speakers is you can only take them so far in terms of upgrades and for me that's a good reason to own a set if you want or need to kerb that upgraditis that I used to suffer from terribly...I've just approached it from a different angle.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
Playing some Troels Hammer at the moment, beautiful ambient style to start the day, good recording too, it is hard to imagine what a Linn or Naim streamer could do to improve what I am hearing right now, and even if they could, would it matter?

You more than most, should know the answer to that. *wink*

The number of times I've said that (or heard it on here), only to have my preconceptions blown appart....the Magik DS sounds brilliant - until you hear an Akurate; which sounds brilliant - until you hear a Klimax.

As I understand it, much of the imaging and ambient info is on the recording....and the better the Source, the more "real" it sounds.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I suspect this will come across as trying to teach the master a one inch punch but

Why don't you try tidal hifi quality to see what it sounds like.(just realized while typing this that your equipment may not be able to play the files in hifi quality)

Just a thought though

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:
I an not afraid to go down the secondhand route but Linn or Naim streamers are actually quite rare and quite expensive.

I see a Uniqute 2 as a relatively affordable option, though they still fetch the best part of £1k. I was hoping that the release of the Atom might bring a few 'qutes to the secondhand market but that is not the case as yet, maybe a bit early?

Keep an eye out for used UQ2s. i think £1k is expensive, cheaper ones (around £800) in excellent condition do appear from time to time...

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Personally I'm waiting for Spotify hi res then going to a b it against a cd and if the streamer doesn't compare I'll have to change it . The only problem I've got it was a 50th birthday present from the mrs and I can see a lot of creeping to be done.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I'm sure a few unitiqute ii's and superuniti's will start to come up on the market due to the new uniti range gradually being released but the problem is that they still fetch decent money...a problem for the buyer but a nice sellers market,but Dave you have active speakers and the amp section would be wasted and irrelevant to you...and yes the nd5xs is still very expensive even used examples aren't far off the price I paid for the superuniti and it has everything on board.

The problem with active speakers is you can only take them so far in terms of upgrades and for me that's a good reason to own a set if you want or need to kerb that upgraditis that I used to suffer from terribly...I've just approached it from a different angle.

Sadly this does not have pre-amp volume so will not work with my speakers, it really needs to be a 'qute. A Majik DS would work too but the lack of Spotify support on the older models would make it expensive.

No the obvious choice is a used 'qute 2, so I shall keep my eyes on the market and see what turns up. As far as my speakers are concerned, they suit my taste very well and are elegant and very easy to position, I can not see them being replaced for quite a while.

It is also important to me that the system remains simple and easy to operate, the 'qute could be hidden away if required, everything is controlled by the app.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:

The number of times I've said that (or heard it on here), only to have my preconceptions blown appart....the Magik DS sounds brilliant - until you hear an Akurate; which sounds brilliant - until you hear a Klimax.

As I understand it, much of the imaging and ambient info is on the recording....and the better the Source, the more "real" it sounds.

I understand entirely.

This is why I am limiting my thoughts to the Linn and Naim products, better hi-fi is really not what I am looking for at this point.

I am now playing some vintage 1961, Miles Davis live and although it sounds pretty good, this is the kind of recording that might respond well to a higher level of resolution, it sounds just a tad flat at lower levels though it is fine if I turn it up a bit, which I have just done!

I am not sure how much I want to get into the whole comparitive dem/upgrade situation, as you say I know just how good some of this equipment can be but I really do not want to be distracted by the hi-fi, not again.

It is simply a question of lifting my current setup a level or two in the areas I have described, then stopping. Remember, this is all from spotify, I am not looking to stream audiophile recordings (in fact I would rather stear well clear) so I am not expecting the ultimate, just an improvement as discussed.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
I understand entirely.

This is why I am limiting my thoughts to the Linn and Naim products, better hi-fi is really not what I am looking for at this point.

I am now playing some vintage 1961, Miles Davis live and although it sounds pretty good, this is the kind of recording that might respond well to a higher level of resolution, it sounds just a tad flat at lower levels though it is fine if I turn it up a bit, which I have just done!

I am not sure how much I want to get into the whole comparitive dem/upgrade situation, as you say I know just how good some of this equipment can be but I really do not want to be distracted by the hi-fi, not again.

It is simply a question of lifting my current setup a level or two in the areas I have described, then stopping. Remember, this is all from spotify, I am not looking to stream audiophile recordings (in fact I would rather stear well clear) so I am not expecting the ultimate, just an improvement as discussed.

I feel somewhat ridiculous giving you advice....but feeling ridiculous is something I've got used to, over the years.

Anyway...I would strongly recommend that you don't rule out the Linn without hearing it (on the grounds of conveniance/saving money). If you feel the way I do (which you may not), there is no way you would end up with a Naim.

Do it once. Do it right. (I bet you've said that before). Sometimes, it's easier to give good advice to others, than take it yourself. *smile*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:
I understand entirely.

I feel somewhat ridiculous giving you advice....but feeling ridiculous is something I've got used to, over the years.

Anyway...I would strongly recommend that you don't rule out the Linn without hearing it (on the grounds of conveniance/saving money). If you feel the way I do (which you may not), there is no way you would end up with a Naim.

Do it once. Do it right. (I bet you've said that before). Sometimes, it's easier to give good advice to others, than take it yourself. *smile*

It is far too easy to over obsess on all this, my current system was very inexpensive, less than £600 all in, and in isolation sounds pretty good most of the time. As I said earlier, primarily due to the speakers, the sound has an almost crystaline, hear through clarity that really suits me so getting more from the source is the obvious next move.

My primary reservation is my near exclusive use of spotify, this has come very late to the Linn platform which pretty much rules out all but the latest models, how it will sound on say a Majik DS would be interesting to ascertain, this would be far more important to me than the units capability on more audiophile sources.

CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:

I know dave has already replied, but just had to say that this is very similar to my recent Ortofon catridge experience. Each one was fine, until you heard the extra detail, or ambient cues, or greater depth of the next one.

All the A/B dem stuff in the world falls away when you hear it yourself, and without any jiggery with hyping the volume. The length of time to swap cartridges with different outputs and weights etc., meant audio memory vanished! And I had no reason to seduced as I'm broke!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:

I know dave has already replied, but just had to say that this is very similar to my recent Ortofon catridge experience. Each one was fine, until you heard the extra detail, or ambient cues, or greater depth of the next one.

All the A/B dem stuff in the world falls away when you hear it yourself, and without any jiggery with hyping the volume. The length of time to swap cartridges with different outputs and weights etc., meant audio memory vanished! And I had no reason to seduced as I'm broke!

I do not really want to get on the hi-fi treadmill again and I am kind of concerned how improved resolution in the playback electronics, extra detail particularly, will fare with a less than optimal source such as spotify.

I know I will have to get out and give these options a go but I am unusually disorganised, hi-fi wise, at this point in time.

davedotco said:
nopiano said:
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:

I do not really want to get on the hi-fi treadmill again and I am kind of concerned how improved resolution in the playback electronics, extra detail particularly, will fare with a less than optimal source such as spotify.

I know I will have to get out and give these options a go but I am unusually disorganised, hi-fi wise, at this point in time.
Theres a lot to be said for something more modest, that is as well matched as yours seems to be, dave. I've often found the simpler systems at shows often fare better as they aren't trying too hard, and it's similar at home. Having recently given some old KEF Coda 3 and Marantz electronics a spin at my dad's recently, all of which at least 30 year old, it sounded amazingly good (once the crackles diminished!).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
davedotco said:
nopiano said:
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:

Theres a lot to be said for something more modest, that is as well matched as yours seems to be, dave. I've often found the simpler systems at shows often fare better as they aren't trying too hard, and it's similar at home. Having recently given some old KEF Coda 3 and Marantz electronics a spin at my dad's recently, all of which at least 30 year old, it sounded amazingly good (once the crackles diminished!).

This kind of explains the logic of trying to get a used 'qute. Not too expensive if I can find one for about £800 and no real risk as It can be resold without losing too much.

That is easier to get to grips with than spending double that on an Atom or Majik DS and should give the system a nice boost without unbalancing things too far.

Only real downside is the lack of a subwoofer output though I guess I could use the high level speaker outs. Assuming I can use both the pre-outs and speaker outs that is.

Also the nac172xs becomes a option for you Dave....pre amp and streamer with Spotify connect and tidal on board....quite a upgrade from the unitiqute and maybe all you ever need....a bit more expensive than the unitiqute on the used market but it will be performing the required duties needed...I believe rainsoothe has one with a nap 200.....they do come up on the well known auction site quite often, for some reason they haven't quite got that nod of approval from the naimee fraternity.lol.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Also the nac172xs becomes a option for you Dave....pre amp and streamer with Spotify connect and tidal on board....quite a upgrade from the unitiqute and maybe all you ever need....a bit more expensive than the unitiqute on the used market but it will be performing the required duties needed...I believe rainsoothe has one with a nap 200.....they do come up on the well known auction site quite often, for some reason they haven't quite got that nod of approval from the naimee fraternity.lol.

The cost becomes something of an issue, as indeed it is with the Majik or Atom models.

The more I spend, the more I find myself 'obligated' to optimise the performance of the system. Knowing me, this will involve dems, trials and quite possibly a complete revamp of my current setup, something I really do not want to get into.

In many ways the Yamaha WXC50 is all I really need, it adds some extra functionality that would be useful and possibly a small upgrade on my existing setup soundwise. At under £300 it is great value and will not 'upset the apple cart' by unbalancing things and requiring me to re-evaluate or rebuild my system.

This is the real issue, at £300 the WXC 50 is 'fit and forget' no great expectations so no worries, a used 'qute 2 might just about fall into that category, not too much money, a reasonable expectation of a more musical performance and not going as far as to unbalance the system.

Spending more will, as I said, require me to look at my setup and optimise performance to justify the extra expendature, a merrygoround I think I really want to avoid.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:

Sorry to op for diversions
Just want to thank Mark for getting my interest in dire straits live. I brought a live CD and I forgot about my favourite song 'you and your friend'
One of the most emotional solos available to human kind

Thank you love it

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

Sorry to op for diversions Just want to thank Mark for getting my interest in dire straits live. I brought a live CD and I forgot about my favourite song 'you and your friend' One of the most emotional solos available to human kind

Thank you love it

Listening to the live album now, starting with 'you and your friend'.

A few weeks ago I said that if I never heard Dire Straights again, it would be too soon. I was right.

Sorry andrew, you seem like a decent sort, but this is just complete tosh. Money for nothing now, awful!

Disclaimer. Musical taste is of course intensely personal, so no offence to any DS fans out there.

Just so as you can get your own back, over the wekend I built a playlist consisting of 6 live versions of the same song, by the same band and each version was around 30 minutes in length. Nutter!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts