Naim Atom

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

By all means doubt me and obviously you are trying yourself, but I don't think you will get much of a difference in your system from a sonos to a node 2 in a sq sense, for it to be great value. I wouldn't say the same for speakers for the same amount of money allocated to speakers! I've owned a connect and demoed a node 2 on my system. How come you seem reticent to consider speakers? Sorry if I've read that wrong.

insider9

Pete Shields said:
Thanks for the responses, so many differnt options and opinions and a bit of Cyrus V Naim fan boy stuff thrown in to boot.

My local Audio -T employ a good system where you borrow (but pay) for the demo system for a couple of nights, then if you like it they order you a new one and you return the demo one. It's worked for me in the past. I'll have to wait until the Atom is a little older to do this though a sthere has been tremendous interest in the shop, maybe a couple of months to wait. A home test has got to be the best way.

I am tempted to give the Bluesound a go though in the interim. Just curious how much better it would be to my Pi or Sonos Connect though. Again, need a user friendly shop in case the gain isn't much and I could then return.

I've also thrown an email into Audiolab asking where they are up to with their streamers and when/ or if they are coming out in the near future.

I'll have one of those t-shirts too.

If you order Node 2 directly from Bluesound they offer 30 days satisfaction guarantee. Not sure about insurance and outs but seems the safest route.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I would, I think, love the new Naim but then I really like a minimalist system that is easy to use and 'just works'. For me that makes the Naim a bit pricey, as indeed is the Linn equivilent.

I am trying to decide if I want to do the dem, I stream everything and most of my listening is from Spotify so will either of these units be a real improvemeny over something like the Yamaha WXC50? And will it be worth the money?

And, more to the point, do I really want to find out?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
grimharry said:
My steamer is only cheap and is mainly used for spottily if they do go hi res then I might upgrade but until then it does the job.

The prospect of Spotify in full flac quality is what is driving this, for me anyway. As I have said before, I am not at all interested in improving the hi-fi, it is only if I can get more out of the music that i would do the upgrade.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
grimharry said:
My steamer is only cheap and is mainly used for spottily if they do go hi res then I might upgrade but until then it does the job.

The prospect of Spotify in full flac quality is what is driving this, for me anyway. As I have said before, I am not at all interested in improving the hi-fi, it is only if I can get more out of the music that i would do the upgrade.

will Spotify ever go hi res is worrying me as they have no real need to as loads of us use it and pay for the privilege of lower quality

I'm dithering whether to keep Spotify as I want to try and see what qobuuz has to offer...I've downloaded a few hi res albums and pleased with the results and streaming constant cd quality is appealing but I just don't think that the library from qobuuz is quite in the same league as Spotify....but the naim has Spotify and tidal built in..no qobuuz unfortunately..so I'd have to take back my chromecast audio from my son.lol....life's fool of compromises.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I'm dithering whether to keep Spotify as I want to try and see what qobuuz has to offer...I've downloaded a few hi res albums and pleased with the results and streaming constant cd quality is appealing but I just don't think that the library from qobuuz is quite in the same league as Spotify....but the naim has Spotify and tidal built in..no qobuuz unfortunately..so I'd have to take back my chromecast audio from my son.lol....life's fool of compromises.

The sheer scale of the Spotify catalogue is what does it for me.

Listening to Trio Elf, as recommended elsewhere on this forum, and the quality is superb, even in lossy Ogg Vorbis form. Good recording, makes all the difference, easily good enough to really enjoy the music, the question is, what can a premium quality streamer bring to the table?

And why are they so bl**dy expensive.

S

SemiChronic

Exactly, I rarely bother flac/cd or high res. I really cant be bothered, havent got a nas drive.

For me internet radio/spotify and itunes sound great . . ive got better thngs to do than chase the last nnnth of detail or naunce

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
SemiChronic said:
Exactly, I rarely bother flac/cd or high res. I really cant be bothered, havent got a nas drive. 

For me internet radio/spotify and itunes sound great . . ive got better thngs to do than chase the last nnnth of detail or naunce

Makes sense seeing you don't own Cyrus anyway

S

SemiChronic

No disrespect meant Ellis, I apprectiate what youre doing. And understand youre doing it all properly. :)

Reply to Dave.co

Well Dave since I have ""upgraded""(a matter of opinion of course)to the superuniti from the ir dac,Amazon fire TV box /nait xs combination....with Spotify connect...let's just say that the 326 kbs extreme setting has been found out.I believe the superior dac/streamer in the superuniti is revealing the shortcomings of the lower bit rate.....the ir dac sounded very good with the extreme setting of Spotify....make of that what you will and nothing scientific to back it up just my own personal findings.but hey some folks will say that the arcam ir dac sounds better because it is......lol.hence the reason I'd like to try qobuuz's cd quality streaming service.

So I doubt a premium streaming/dac box will be much of a upgrade to what you already have if Spotify is all you plan to use it for....but start using hi res and cd quality streams and then it starts to make sense.

Ps I take it all back...just sitting listening to Nils Lofgren...Keith don't go on spotify connect through the SU and it still sounds bloody awesome.lol.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Reply to Dave.co

Well Dave since I have ""upgraded""(a matter of opinion of course)to the superuniti from the ir dac,Amazon fire TV box /nait xs combination....with Spotify connect...let's just say that the 326 kbs extreme setting has been found out.I believe the superior dac/streamer in the superuniti is revealing the shortcomings of the lower bit rate.....the ir dac sounded very good with the extreme setting of Spotify....make of that what you will and nothing scientific to back it up just my own personal findings.but hey some folks will say that the arcam ir dac sounds better because it is......lol.hence the reason I'd like to try qobuuz's cd quality streaming service.

So I doubt a premium streaming/dac box will be much of a upgrade to what you already have if Spotify is all you plan to use it for....but start using hi res and cd quality streams and then it starts to make sense.

Ps I take it all back...just sitting listening to Nils Lofgren...Keith don't go on spotify connect through the SU and it still sounds bloody awesome.lol.

In some ways you are articulating my exact thoughts.

Given the less than optimal quality from Spotify, will improving my electronics, streamer/dac/pre-amp, to something reknowned for it's musicality, a Linn or a Naim sound better or worse?

Will it simply expose the limitations of the source or will their 'musicality' enhance my listening pleasure?

I had more or less decided that I would want Spotify lossless before I went down that route, but listening to the system earlier, sounding so good, the old urge to make it even better started coming back. My Adam active speakers are very controlled and transparent so I am sure upgrading the electronics would make a difference that I would hear, the question is, will that be a positive difference or a negative one?

Sooner or later I will have to find out.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Naim sound like Naim, and Linn sounds like.....well.....Linn.

You are likely to prefer one or the other...and I look forward to your thoughts.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Reply to Dave.co 

Well Dave since I have ""upgraded""(a matter of opinion of course)to the superuniti from the ir dac,Amazon fire TV box  /nait xs combination....with Spotify connect...let's just say that the 326 kbs extreme setting has been found out.I believe the superior dac/streamer in the superuniti  is revealing the shortcomings of the lower bit rate.....the ir dac sounded very good with the extreme setting of Spotify....make of that what you will and nothing scientific to back it up just my own personal findings.but hey some folks will say that the arcam ir dac sounds better because it is......lol.hence the reason I'd like to try qobuuz's cd quality streaming service.

So I doubt a premium streaming/dac box will be much of a upgrade to what you already have if Spotify is all you plan to use it for....but start using hi res and cd quality streams and then it starts to make sense. 

Ps I take it all back...just sitting listening to Nils Lofgren...Keith don't go on spotify connect through the SU and it still sounds bloody awesome.lol.

Given the less than optimal quality from Spotify, will improving my electronics, streamer/dac/pre-amp, to something reknowned for it's musicality, a Linn or a Naim sound better or worse?

Will it simply expose the limitations of the source or will their 'musicality' enhance my listening pleasure?

I had more or less decided that I would want Spotify lossless before I went down that route, but listening to the system earlier, sounding so good, the old urge to make it even better started coming back. My Adam active speakers are very controlled and transparent so I am sure upgrading the electronics would make a difference that I would hear, the question is, will that be a positive difference or a negative one?

I'd say positive for sure

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
davedotco said:

I had more or less decided that I would want Spotify lossless before I went down that route, but listening to the system earlier, sounding so good, the old urge to make it even better started coming back. My Adam active speakers are very controlled and transparent so I am sure upgrading the electronics would make a difference that I would hear, the question is, will that be a positive difference or a negative one?

I have been in exactly the same situation as you and it's a tough one. All I can do is share my own experience in that I found the 'upgrading' only positive. I don't regret it for one single minute, expensive as it was.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I remain unsure.

At some point I am going to have to do this, choosing between Linn and Naim is the easy bit, I haven't listened properly to either brand in about 15 years, but I expect the difference to be pretty clear cut.

I am kind of putting off the inevitable, but I would really like to see a lossless tier to Spotify before I do that but have no idea if or when that will be. I am also rather troubled by the price of these components, they would have to be seriously good for me to upgrade to either brand, even the entry level models.

My current streamer appears to lack resolution, most noticeable on more complex material, but then the setup is perfectly capable of showing up the poor quality of some recordings and I worry that higher resolution might make this worse.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts