Naim and Arcam

As most of you know I tested the Nait 5i with my current system (about 2 1/2 years ago), and to say I was disappointed is the understatement of the year. It was very fatiguing at best.

So I was wondering if anyone had tried the combo the other way round? Nait CD5i and Arcam amplifier, and, if so, what was the result, or if anyone could give a calculated guess, perhaps?

A

Anonymous

I have heard a Naim CD5i with an arcam A85, and the sound put me to sleep - out of boredom! Not in any way desirable at all!

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:
As most of you know I tested the Nait 5i with my current system (about 2 1/2 years ago), and to say I was disappointed is the understatement of the year. It was very fatiguing at best.

So I was wondering if anyone had tried the combo the other way round? Nait CD5i and Arcam amplifier, and, if so, what was the result, or if anyone could give a calculated guess, perhaps?

I ran with the CD5i and my A85/P85 combo for a few months. Purely because I needed to get round to selling the A85/P85 to replace with the Nait 5i. Its not a good combination! I had a demo of the Naim system in the shop, and bought the CD5i straight away. Got it home expecting at least some of the excitement from the CD5i paired with my Arcams but was sorely dissapointed. The sound wasnt as good as what it replaced (a Arcam CD82). I personally didnt think they went well together at all, and would advise you against going down that route!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
PP

There were quite noticeable changes over the i versions when Naim made changes and produced the i versions. Maybe it's worth trying the newer 5i amplifier out.

the Naim/Arcam/MA not liking each other I'd say depends on which MA's you're taking about. Naim CD, Arcam amp and MA RS should be fine. Naim CD, Arcam amp and MA RX would be quite dull. Arcam CD, Naim amp and MA RS might be a little overbearing, whereas Arcam CD, Naim amp and MA RX would work well.

FrankHarveyHiFi:

PP

There were quite noticeable changes over the i versions when Naim made changes and produced the i versions. Maybe it's worth trying the newer 5i amplifier out.

the Naim/Arcam/MA not liking each other I'd say depends on which MA's you're taking about. Naim CD, Arcam amp and MA RS should be fine. Naim CD, Arcam amp and MA RX would be quite dull. Arcam CD, Naim amp and MA RS might be a little overbearing, whereas Arcam CD, Naim amp and MA RX would work well.

My kit. It certainly was overbearing, which is a pity because I really wanted it to be a winner, instead I literally ran for the Paracetamols.

Slightly off topic, David what's your opinion on the synergy between Naim XS amp/CDP and B&W 805S? Any input appreciated.

Ta very much.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:Slightly off topic, David what's your opinion on the synergy between Naim XS amp/CDP and B&W 805S? Any input appreciated.

Ta very much.

I have to admit that I haven't heard the current 805's, let alone with Naim amplification (maybe we will soon....?
emotion-5.gif
), but going on past partnerings, I've never really found Naim and B&W a great match. It may be different at the higher end, I don't know, but I always found their audio intentions to be in conflict with each other.

FrankHarveyHiFi:plastic penguin:Slightly off topic, David what's your opinion on the synergy between Naim XS amp/CDP and B&W 805S? Any input appreciated.

Ta very much.

I have to admit that I haven't heard the current 805's, let alone with Naim amplification (maybe we will soon....?
emotion-5.gif
), but going on past partnerings, I've never really found Naim and B&W a great match. It may be different at the higher end, I don't know, but I always found their audio intenetions to be in conflict with each other.

emotion-8.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts