Naim amp for pmc gb1i

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Im looking for an integrated for my pmc gb1is.

something fast, punchy, that would breathe life into my overly furnished room.

naim comes to the mind but right now budget permits a nait 5i with my oppo bdp 103 as a source or unitiqute.

i would go for the unitiqute but will it be able to drive the gb1is ? and still give the signature prat naim is famous for?

I sit about 15 feet away and will listen at moderate levels but i do need impeccable control over the bass, if the unitiqute can deliver that for the time being i can always add a nap 100 when i want to listen at louder levels.

The other option is the nait 5i with the oppo, i can add a naim source further on as funds permit.

which option would i get the best out of ?

looking forward for all of your suggestions.

thanks!

Naim amplification is the obvious choice with PMCs. The Qute should be able to drive the GB1s without trouble, although does depend how loud you like your music. Arcam is another very good match with PMC.

Read some very good reviews about Electrocompaniet EC1-3 amp and PMC (there's a couple of Fleebay at the mo).

When it comes to PRaT little betters Leema Pulse. Moreover speed of bass and detail is impressive. I've heard my Pulse with a number of different speakers (Totem, PMC DB1i, Spendor, MAs) and it's an amazing flexible amp for the money.

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
No doubt the electrocompaniet would be good match but unfortunately out of my budget.

How do you compare the leema with naim nait 5i ?

if the qute can drive the gb1i at moderate levels i can always add a nap 100 when funds permit and i wouldn't need to invest in a stand alone streamer.

what do you think?

cheers

Vortex160 said:
No doubt the electrocompaniet would be good match but unfortunately out of my budget.

How do you compare the leema with naim nait 5i ?

cheers

The Leema was tested against the Roksan Caspian and Naim XS and every bit as good, some ways better, plus you get a shed load of inputs with the Pulse.

Electro http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/electrocompaniet-ECI-3-/181226031973?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2a31e9cb65

Juzzie Wuzzie

Slightly left of normal, but what about just getting a Naim power amp - say a 150x and use the Oppo as your pre-amp? I am likely to do this shortly - Oppo 103 3ch out into a NAP V175 for three channel a/v and two channel music.

Just a thought.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Juzzie Wuzzie said:
Slightly left of normal, but what about just getting a Naim power amp - say a 150x and use the Oppo as your pre-amp? I am likely to do this shortly - Oppo 103 3ch out into a NAP V175 for three channel a/v and two channel music.

Just a thought.

I was thinking along similar lines, assuming that the Oppo is your only source and that as a pre-amp, it gives you the required functionality.

I think your PMCs, all PMCs in fact respond to a bit of power, so I would be very tempted with these.....

ds001-01_0.jpg

Somewhat lacking in 'bling' but set the levels and hide them away, designed for the job and only £1300.

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
do you think the oppo is a good enough source for naim amps?

im currently using the 103 via analog outs into my nad receiver and find that it fails to deliver the climax at crescendo and peak of tracks.

i see that you have both the 103 and nait 5i , how does the combo work out for you?

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
The oppo 103 is very good for movies but im not so sure about its music capability.

Or maybe its oppo and nad reciever combo that makes the music sound a bit dull.

John Duncan

Naim sounds good with PMC but I'd worry about a Qute's ability to impress you from 15ft. You might need to add the NAP sooner rather than later.

An alternative is a s/h Primare A30.2, which is one of my favourite ever combos with those speakers.

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes , i believe the qute while being able to drive gb1is may fall short in terms of the impact and scale required sitting 15 feet away, more over my room is 25 by 20 feet.

have you heard the new primare integrateds? What kind of sound do they lean towards?

the i32 didn't fair so well according to the review here .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts