NAGAOKA MP 110

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Hello to you. I'm planning for the first cart upgrade on my Teac tn 300. I think the upgrade should give a bit of a sound quality boost ( for my entry level TT ). I heard many positive reviews of this "made in Japan" cart. Is this really good ? How does it compare with another carts within the same price range , like AT VM520EB or Shure M97xe.

stereoman said:
Hello to you. I'm planning for the first cart upgrade on my Teac tn 300. I think the upgrade should give a bit of a sound quality boost ( for my entry level TT ). I heard many positive reviews of this "made in Japan" cart. Is this really good ? How does it compare with another carts within the same price range , like AT VM520EB or Shure M97xe.

Whilst I always used to recommend the Shure it is possibly not a good idea as Shure have pulled out of making phono equipment. You may be able to pick one up cheap because of this but replacement stylii may become hard to find.

For this reason alone I would go for the Nagaoka.

Cannot comment on the AT as have never heard one.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
stereoman said:

Whilst I always used to recommend the Shure it is possibly not a good idea as Shure have pulled out of making phono equipment. You may be able to pick one up cheap because of this but replacement stylii may become hard to find.

For this reason alone I would go for the Nagaoka.

Cannot comment on the AT as have never heard one.

Thanks AE. I think I'll go for Nagaoka.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
The Nagaoka MP110 has lots of fans, myself included, and, properly aligned and set up will give great playback for some time. I don't think you'll be disappointed, whatever music you play. Only problem might be upgrading gets expensive if you go from the MP110 to the 200.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
stereoman said:
Got it yesterday. A great cart. For the price really good.

Excellent. Glad you are enjoying it. I would be surprised if you weren't. Time to start saving for that MP200. :)

:) MP 200 costs double. A significant step up. But for now I do not need it. Especially for my TT which is itself entry level. MP 110 definitely suffice.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
Working wonders on my 1200 G, Looking forward too an upgrade when funds permit.........

thumbs_up.png

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Stereoman, if you're still saving for an MP200, as I was, you might want to try a Jn-p200 stylus, which is considerably cheaper, but will give you most of the sound of a full cart. It's a snug fit, and will need realigning, but I found a considerable improvement over my MP110..

I had been looking into picking a 110 up myself, but saw a great deal on the Goldring E3.
On the Nagaoka website I was surprised to see that it said to consider changing stylus between 150-200 hours!
I have an older, bolt on design boron stylus Nagaoka, which I’m rotating with a few other carts to try to extend its life.

D

Deleted member 108165

This thread is 18 months old!
bigfish I would take the 150-200 hrs with a pinch of salt.

daytona600

I had been looking into picking a 110 up myself, but saw a great deal on the Goldring E3.
On the Nagaoka website I was surprised to see that it said to consider changing stylus between 150-200 hours!
I have an older, bolt on design boron stylus Nagaoka, which I’m rotating with a few other carts to try to extend its life.
golding E3 is made by audio technica & Nagoaka supply Goldring
Nagoaka will last 1000hours & they are the biggest OEM supplier of styli globally

D

Deleted member 108165

The Nagaoka's certainly are stunning cartridges, shame that they have become so pricey. Fortunately I got in just before the second major price hike and saved a bit by getting it direct from the land of the rising sun, (MP300 and MP500)..

Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 108165

Is it still going strong?
Unfortunately my turntable doesn't get as much use as it should so the Nag's should last me years. These carts certainly are brilliant and suit my ears more than other brands I have tried. I think the original prompt for me to look at Nagaoka may have come from you Al, thank you (y)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts