Turntable Speaker Setup

RnR

Apr 10, 2021
Visit site
I've just jumped into the turntable world with an entry level phonograph - AudioTechnica LP-1200. It does have a built in pre-amp. Long term I'm thinking a separate pre-amp or a receiver with a pre-amp would be better but not a huge priority initially. However, I have a dilemma. Do I setup a standalone system with the turntable and buy separate speakers for it? Probably $300 range? Or do I buy a new receiver and tie into my TV setup. I currently have a basic box type home theater system that was probably under $800-1000 about 10-12 years ago. The speakers are okay sony lower end speakers with two pedestal sides, a center speaker and a sub woofer. The receiver that came with it is fairly basic and I found out it does not have a spare input for the turntable.

Each option has its advantages and disadvantages. The advantage of the combined system is that if I want to make a significant speaker upgrade in the future, I could tackle both the TV and turntable upgrades together. The disadvantage is I'll need to invest now in upgrading the receiver. I've looked a bit at the Yamaha RX-V685 which is currently available, but I think may be being discontinued. It's around $600, and may be a bit of overkill for my needs. Ideally I'd spend a bit less on this now, but want to make sure its a solid option. Do I want to focus on one with phono inputs? Or is that a non-issue with the preamp built into the record player? Any receivers you'd recommend in the $300-$500 range?

The stand-alone option, I think, would just require the speakers. I've looked at Kantu YU 4's for around $370, Edifier R2000's for abt $250 or Klipsch RP-400M bookshelf speakers for around $275. Not sure how the quality of those 3 options compare.

Any thoughts on which general direction to go? Also, any thoughts on either specific separate speakers (bookshelf or similar) you'd recommend or on a receiver you like that would work for this arrangement?

As your turntable has an inbuilt preamp you should be able to connect it to any spare Audio In sockets, possibly even your current setup, you don't need to concentrate on a receiver with a phono stage.
The rest I cannot really help you with.

Reactions: iMark

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts