NAD C545BEE - Anyone happy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

My current Sansui amp is conservatively rated at 30wpc, but drives the 89db Mission 752 easily. That's what counts, and why some tiny valve amps can sound thunderous with an easy load in the speaker.

T

the record spot

And thanks for the amp info too by the way matt - much appreciated and good detail there.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Hey Matthew,

First of all, I want to say, all you people that like to give Matthew a hard time for changing gear should lay off. If he wants to change amps every week, what's it to you? Sheesh. Big deal. That's part of the fun.

Now, regarding the NAD C545, the build quality seems cheap to me. It's mainly the drawer mechanism that makes me say this. The drawer is cheap plastic (as are most CDPs), but the action is loud on mine and does not inspire confidence. Also, my first 545 broke and had to be replace. Now this new one is suffering from ejecting the disk while spinning into the tray, which can damage your CDs. However, I think I've found out how to avoid that by avoiding certain actions.

I will say that NAD cheerfully serviced my CDP and then replaced it without a problem, so the service was good and they are responsive to support issues.

I will also say that the C545 sounds fanstastic. Last week I purchased a rega apollo and after lots of listening, the apollo sounds closed in with rolled off highs compared to the open sound of the NAD. I'm trying to decide what to do. I definately like the NAD sound better than the apollo. Could be that the Apollo will get better with time though. I definately think the apollo's fit and finish is head and shoulders over the NAD. I really dig the top loading mechnanism and the door action is just plain sweeeeet.

Where I live you can buy 2 NAD C545s for the price of 1 Apollo. So I'd say, it might still be worth buying the NAD for the great sound quality even if the qaulity needs improvemen. Also, there are obviously many happy NAD owners with no problems. You might not get a lemon...

matthewpiano

Thanks jaxwired, both for your support and for your balanced overview of the NAD.

Actually the C521BEE has a tendency to eject discs while they're spinning. As you say, you learn to avoid certain actions or you learn to slow down a little and the problem goes away.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I Actually thank matthewpiano for changing so much.I always like to read his opinions about the gear
emotion-1.gif

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
ear:I Actually thank matthewpiano for changing so much.I always like to read his opinions about the gear
emotion-1.gif

I agree. And as I have posted many times before, there are no great components, only great systems. Meaning synergy is everything when it comes to achieving great sound. So how can you create a system where all the pieces complement one another without trying lots of gear? You can't.

A

Anonymous

that's why the forums are great ... you can read and ask questions about different combinations of components from people who actually own the systems ... that then narrows down your choices

A

Anonymous

jaxwired noone is giving matthewpiano a hard time their only trying to help him get a system with which hes happy

matthewpiano:Naim Nait 5i - A superb amp. Detailed, pacey and enjoyable, and it never veers into brightness. Only problem for me is that I didn't think it was worth paying double the price of the Cambridge for.

i agree the 5i is an excellent amp but it is easily worth paying double for if you liked it as much as you did because it closes the amp searching part of your quest and is capable of getting the best out of speakers at least twice its price which some of the amps you mention arent

you are right that spending twice as much doesnt give you twice as much performance but it might give you twice as much happiness for twice as long and probably save you money in the long term too

A

Anonymous

yes but you tested with relatively budget speakers

hang on some spendors neats proacs totems etc and youll see what i mean

edit thats the hard thing too i thought what you said about the rotel was pretty right but i heard it with some other budget amps and they all proved to me there was no cheap get out and i couldnt go back

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:What I really mean one off, is that I don't think the Naim is any better than the 650A. The Cambridge performs way above its price point competition.

Sadly I don't know anyone with a CA 650A with which to compare. (The only friend with a decent system has Primare amplification).

A

Anonymous

On my second C545BEE since March this year (see other topic threads on the NAD cd player for details) but have to say it does sound an absolutally superb cd spinner for the money , although I think if youv`e got a laid back sounding pair of speakers/amp etc it may sound "dull??"

Anyway....My first C545bee developed fault(s) and after sending the unit back to Armour thru the dealer , eventually got a replacement which as of today is working fine and reply to the topic "anyone happy?" ... Yes i`m happy as long as the second one stays reliable.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

What about the new marantz cd6003, what hifi gave it cd player of the year under I think 500 pounds even beating the NAD.

Cheers,

Steve.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
There have been a few faulty C545s but we understand from NAD that these problems should have now been resolved. In terms of its sound, it is quite special for the money and a worthy upgrade over the C542.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
ÿ Many of NAD cd players are noisy spinning the disc, at low volumes can be very irritating, so be careful or keep the distance

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I also had a Nad CD521BEE and that was a very good player. Nice warm sound with no harshness. I have since upgraded to the C545BEE and the differences between them are not too great, at least to my ears. The 545BEE does give you a bit more detail, especially in the upper frequencies. Anyway I have had mine for a about 2 months with not the slightest hint of a problem. I am sure Nad have sorted out all the problems they might have had with the earlier machines.

TRENDING THREADS