NAD C390DD - What HiFi Review???

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I've heard the NAD M2 which uses the same "direct digital" technology. The simplified signal path for digital sources means the lowest noise level ever achieved. The sound is pristine and amazing. The M2 and the C390 are a completely new breed of amplifier and nothing else like them exists. They are not "just another class D amplifier".

A

Anonymous

jaxwired said:
Love to read a review of this amp. I think it's a game changer...

So would I. On paper it looks immense with a very extensive list of goodies for the price. Is a review in the pipeline?

manicm

jaxwired said:
I've heard the NAD M2 which uses the same "direct digital" technology. The simplified signal path for digital sources means the lowest noise level ever achieved. The sound is pristine and amazing. The M2 and the C390 are a completely new breed of amplifier and nothing else like them exists. They are not "just another class D amplifier".

That's the point I was trying to make, and others insisted it was just another class D amp (was it you Jax? :)). NAD states the amps keep the signal completely digital until it's about to hit the speaker. And indeed with the C390 at least you cannot add analogue sources as standard - they'll sell a slot-in module for them but again it will convert to digital and pass along the amp's normal signal path!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
manicm said:
jaxwired said:

That's the point I was trying to make, and others insisted it was just another class D amp (was it you Jax? :)). NAD states the amps keep the signal completely digital until it's about to hit the speaker. And indeed with the C390 at least you cannot add analogue sources as standard - they'll sell a slot-in module for them but again it will convert to digital and pass along the amp's normal signal path!

Nope, I never said that. I've been a fan since the M2 first came out 2 years ago. I posted this pic on another thread so people can understand. This pic should make it obvious how NAD has changed things.

x745M2-t_AAS.jpeg
x745M2-t_DDAS.jpeg

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Just for the record NAD isn't the only company with fully digital amps:

The Wadia 151 PowerDAC Mini and Nuforce DDA-100 are similar products (though much lower powered).

This kind of product is truly fascinating for digital fans and I suspect is where a lot of integated amps will go in the future.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
A review sample has been requested – quite apart from the WHF review, I'm keen to have a play with it for Gramophone in the near future

Look forward to your thoughts!

T

the record spot

And somehow, NAD still managed to make the damn thing look like a NAD - awful fascia.

EDIT: The technology looks good though - and their M-series stuff, along with the earlier Silverline range - was impressive IMO.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
A review sample has been requested – quite apart from the WHF review, I'm keen to have a play with it for Gramophone in the near future

When do you think you will do the Gramophone review?

A

Anonymous

Anyone know if it is on dem anywhere in London? The more I look at the specs the more I think that this is the one! I have no interest in surround sound or vinyl, what I want is an all in one solution that will give me fantastic quality for all my digital stereo sources. :grin:

matthewpiano

the record spot said:
And somehow, NAD still managed to make the damn thing look like a NAD...

You see, I think that is a good thing. I like the NAD look and I actually much prefer the look of my 326 to the Marantz 6004 design. I like the looks of the new C390DD and if I had that sort of money I'd audition it in a flash.

prutten

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I am already convinced - after extensive listening decided this was an amplifier which offered not only a big sound with no coloration whatsoever and brought great transparency to the most difficult pieces of music on which I have heard other major equipment stumble. Therefore it now has a place of honor in my living room ;-)

But I would still be really curious to see if WHF shares this experience.

For those who can't wait for the WHF review, there is a good review in Dutch:
http://issuu.com/lenbrookint/docs/hifidelityreview_nadc390dd

Google translate can help you probably but I think on the NAD website there is a partly translated version.

A

Anonymous

prutten said:
I am already convinced - after extensive listening decided this was an amplifier which offered not only a big sound with no coloration whatsoever and brought great transparency to the most difficult pieces of music on which I have heard other major equipment stumble. Therefore it now has a place of honor in my living room ;-) But I would still be really curious to see if WHF shares this experience. For those who can't wait for the WHF review, there is a good review in Dutch: http://issuu.com/lenbrookint/docs/hifidelityreview_nadc390dd Google translate can help you probably but I think on the NAD website there is a partly translated version.

Nice! What speakers/sources you using?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
lordgrace said:
Anyone know if it is on dem anywhere in London? The more I look at the specs the more I think that this is the one! I have no interest in surround sound or vinyl, what I want is an all in one solution that will give me fantastic quality for all my digital stereo sources. :grin:

I agree completely. I just bought an M2 replacing my Bryston amp and preamp. My benchmark DAC is now pulling headphone duty only. The sound is astonishing.

If interested: Video Here

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
jaxwired said:
lordgrace said:

I agree completely. I just bought an M2 replacing my Bryston amp and preamp. My benchmark DAC is now pulling headphone duty only. The sound is astonishing.

Nice video. I love the man cave!

Not sure why you have 2 dislikes and no likes on the vid. I'll have to correct that.

EDIT: I suspect the swearing in the song is the reason for the dislikes. It just sneaks up on you.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Ajani said:
jaxwired said:
lordgrace said:

Nice video. I love the man cave!

Not sure why you have 2 dislikes and no likes on the vid. I'll have to correct that.

EDIT: I suspect the swearing in the song is the reason for the dislikes. It just sneaks up on you.

You're right. I'm gonna post a different song. I think I can find something better...

T

the record spot

matthewpiano said:
the record spot said:
And somehow, NAD still managed to make the damn thing look like a NAD...

You see, I think that is a good thing. I like the NAD look and I actually much prefer the look of my 326 to the Marantz 6004 design. I like the looks of the new C390DD and if I had that sort of money I'd audition it in a flash.

Different strokes eh Matthew! Unfortunately, I think they've managed to make a pig's ear out of a silk purse. I'll take the Marantz anyday, lol!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts