NAD 3020i driving capability

João Henrique Jr.

Jun 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

My first post at What Hi Fi? (2020) was followed by very useful suggestions, so I'm here again for some light on this impedance issue concerning the NAD 3020 amplifier, specifically the "i" version.

I've just received a second hand NAD 3020i amplifier, bought online. It's in excellent condition, externally, at least. I havn't tested it, yet - I must first take it to a technician to be converted to 110v. That I hope will occur soon. (I don't know any NAD product, but there's not a negative word about the 3020 amps on the web, only positive reviews.) I've been informed by Wikipedia and other sources that the first 3020 version is capable to drive two, and even three pairs of speakers, operating in parallel and presenting an impedance of less than 2,0 ohms! As for latter versions, people say they differ a little from the first, and presumably the best, one. I couldn't find the 3020i owner's manual at internet, nor any official information about its driving capability. Thus, my question is: is it safe to use loudspeakers the above mentioned way, connected to NAD 3020 amplifiers (includind the "i" version, of course) ?

I've been using two pairs of bookshelf loudspeakers (Yamaha 40w max./ Akai 20w max., 6 ohms each), serially connected for safety reasons. They don't sound bad this way, but I'd like to try them in parallel. I must say that I drive those Yamaha and Akai softly, mostly to provide my floorstanding loudspeakers (Polyvox, a brazilian brand from the 70's) with more midranges and trebles, a slightly tighter bass and a larger sonic cupola. Now my plan is to connect the NAD to the bookshelf speakers, while using it as a pre amp for another power stage (Kenwood KA4000) to drive the floorstanding speakers.

I hope I'm not forgetting some essencial information.

Best regards

João Henrique

gasolin

Now my plan is to connect the NAD to the bookshelf speakers, while using it as a pre amp for another power stage (Kenwood KA4000) to drive the floorstanding speakers.

You can't do both since there no signal going into the nad amp it's going out of the nad amp pre out and into the kenwood amp with a normal standard rca cable, you need dual cable and a adapter to use 2 pair of cable from the pre out on the nad or a dual (4) to both main in and 1 pair (2) for the nad amp

Something like this

71tTpqvEDYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Why do you wanna use the nad 3020i as a preamp, if you know nad you would know there preamp section of many nad amps incl nad 3020a,3020b,3020e,3020i is there weakest link

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

João Henrique Jr.

Jun 2, 2020
Visit site
Thanks, Gasolin. Today I went out and bought a set of cables similar to those you posted above. Convertion, too, to 110 v, has been a simple task. (I didn't know there's a fifth rubber foot inside the case, fixed with glue under the transformer.) As for the question about what I'll run as a pre amp, I still don't know the answer. Think I'll take my time trying some different matchings, on the next days. Surely I'm quite impressed with the sound of the Nad3020i. Maybe the best I have here.

Reactions: gasolin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts