Mystery solved

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I could never quite work out why my system sometimes sound a little bass-shy. My Restek amp has the grunt, Totem Arros don't do the bottom octave but again have the reputation of far more bass than their size would suggest. So where the hell was the bass going but not always?

Even I hoover occasionally. I tend to drag my Ekornes Stressless out of the way to get to all the biscuit crumbs that accumulate after several months (only joking). The Arros fire down he length of the room with the chair roughly 2/3s down from the speakers. About a week ago, I moved the chair forward by just over a foot & to my utter amazement, the bass output increased substantially - not just double!

Experimenting a little, my chair was in the room's bass dead-zone. The lesson being it's not just the speaker location that effects bass, nor the cables, spikes or incantations but the damn listening position!

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I had exactly the same sort of thing when trying to integrate a sub. My usual place on the sofa just happened to be a null point for the first location of the sub.

Took me ages to realise what was going on and why I wasn't getting much bass.:doh:

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
busb said:
I moved the chair forward by just over a foot & to my utter amazement, the bass output increased substantially - not just double!

congratulations. so you moved from one node to another. reinforcing resonances, while they may sound exciting, are coloration in the end...

;)

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
busb said:
I moved the chair forward by just over a foot & to my utter amazement, the bass output increased substantially - not just double!

congratulations. so you moved from one node to another. reinforcing resonances, while they may sound exciting, are coloration in the end...

;)

Yea? So I move 6 inches back - simples! I'd say lack of bass was a colouration. What I'm saying is that I can tune the amount of bass by moving my chair fore & aft a little.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
(there should be a "thumbs up" emotion too)

I do believe that their used to be a thumbs up emotion, i don't know why it was discontinued, it could have been to the new forum layout.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
(there should be a "thumbs up" emotion too)

I do believe that their used to be a thumbs up emotion, i don't know why it was discontinued, it could have been to the new forum layout.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts