Mystery of the Rega Saturn fuse rating..resolved

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Picture posted by someone else above of the back of a Rega Saturn ( not sure if it's a mk3...but anyway) clearly states 15.5watts and T 4amp fuse...that's 4 big juicy amps folks.
Yes, it was a mark 3 from Rega’s website. Odd that they’d picture one with the wrong label, but maybe the label belongs on an amplifier and it was just a mock-up for photography. I hardly dare ask what the manual says.

Last edited:
It is quite obvious from online images that there are indeed two versions of this player that have very different fuse ratings which I find very odd.
Gosh, you’re right. I just looked at a recently sold ‘actual’ device from a UK dealer, and it says T 315ma L. That seems much more plausible.

It also means that the first post was about as inaccurate as it would be possible to be!

59FE4D45-ABBA-4241-9806-5A8AC3AF8139.png59FE4D45-ABBA-4241-9806-5A8AC3AF8139.png

Mattyboy

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
Gosh, you’re right. I just looked at a recently sold ‘actual’ device from a UK dealer, and it says T 315ma L. That seems much more plausible.

It also means that the first post was about as inaccurate as it would be possible to be!

View attachment 4378View attachment 4378

Yep.

I miss read some very small but vital print on a fuse carrier.. initially.

But... as it turns out, my original title to the thread had some foresight into the near future...as the mystery of the Rega Saturn ruse rating is indeed now resolved😉👍

I've already ordered a new replacement for the inferior sounding factory supplied 315 ma slow blow

Yep.

I miss read some very small but vital print on a fuse carrier.. initially.

But... as it turns out, my original title to the thread had some foresight into the near future...as the mystery of the Rega Saturn ruse rating is indeed now resolved😉👍

I've already ordered a new replacement for the inferior sounding factory supplied 315 ma slow blow
It’s a shame you didn’t simply read the manual. Although I’ve seen better sets of instructions, now I’ve looked at the download on Rega’s website it’s 100% clear.

CA570B7D-3CD5-4F73-B5F1-CC082706AA28.png

Mattyboy

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
No Nopiano. There is no shame.

Just a simple mistake that anyone could have made..but on this occasion was me.

I think we can all take something positive from this.

Mattyboy

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
Hello Gray,

...to answer your question.

On the subject of Audiophile grade fuses I have found hifi tuning Supreme 3 silver gold improve the sound.

I find Synergistic Research purple to sound the best though.. it could well be due to the material graphene.

Hello Gray,

On the subject of Audiophile grade fuses I have found hifi tuning Supreme 3 silver gold improve the sound.

I find Synergistic Research purple to sound the best though.. it could well be due to the material graphene.
This is exactly what I was referring to when an innocent newbie post wasn't a question but statement that slowly leads on to, by post #11, the whole point of the thread in that a wonderful product is actually mentioned.
Do you by any chance have a financial interest in this wonderful fuse manufacturer?
If not then do accept my apologies....
Have you tried different manufacturers fuses??

Mattyboy

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
This is exactly what I was referring to when an innocent newbie post wasn't a question but statement that slowly leads on to, by post #11, the whole point of the thread in that a wonderful product is actually mentioned.
Do you by any chance have a financial interest in this wonderful fuse manufacturer?
If not then do accept my apologies....
Have you tried different manufacturers fuses??

I'm going for a walk...

oldie

Nov 9, 2021
Visit site
Hello Gray,

This is comedy at its best....made my day so it has.

Reactions: Gray

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Perhaps.. I didn't initially make myself crystal clear?

So a little more information may be required...

I use after market fuses in my hifi.
I very recently ordered a brand-new replacement CDP.
I wanted to find out what rating/size fuse the new CDP took so could continue to use aftermarket fuses.
I googled for this information and didn't find it.
I joined this forum.
I retold my findings and asked the same question.
A few people answered. (With varying answers)
I got told off and accused of being a tin of processed salty pork.

So here we are ...

Like I said earlier I will find out tomorrow under bright light and a magnifying glass what the actual rating on the actual fuse supplied with CDP is., I thought 3 amp on first glance...BUT I have been using a 2.5 amp rated after market fuse in the CDP 1) without it blowing and 2) with very favourable sonic improvements.

Struth..this forum so far is pretty hard going...🙄?!?

I will probably start a new separate thread about fuses...if I'm not shot first.

Why not just read the manual, which will detail the fuse rating. Or undo the plug and read the rating printed on the fuse and check the colour, you won’t need a magnifying glass or bright light.

These are the legal fuse colours in the UK.
Red = 3A
Black = 5A
Brown = 13A

DG…

Mattyboy

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
My walk was good...

Al ears : You have accused me of ulterior motives of which you have no proof. You don't actually know anything about me. I consider this personal persecution. An apology for this would be acceptable.

Wayne : You think I'm a gullible person. You also don't actually know anything about me either. You are of course entitled to think what you want about me but the problem is that you wrote that thought here for everyone to see and by doing that you put me in a position to defend myself. I do not agree with you.

WayneKerr

Wayne : You think I'm a gullible person. You also don't actually know anything about me either. You are of course entitled to think what you want about me but the problem is that you wrote that thought here for everyone to see and by doing that you put me in a position to defend myself. I do not agree with you.
If it came across as personal slight against your character then I apologise, it was not meant that way at all.

I would challenge anyone the same way as I have challenged you, it is a forum, an exchange of views. The only true test is a double blind test to substantiate claims.

We are all gullible people people on here, in one way or another, and we all part with our hard-earned cash for various reasons all in the pursuit of hi-fi nirvana.

You can request that this thread is locked for further replies if you so wish (y)

P.S. Take a look at some archive threads regarding after-market components, you will see that these ruffle feathers more than anything else on here :)

Last edited:
Frankly this whole thread should probably be deleted. In the unlikely event that anyone should come across it, and not read beyond the first few posts, they’ll glean completely wrong information that might even cause harm to them or their kit.

At the very least the opening post needs editing to report the facts, not the wild speculation it actually contains.

I guess the moral is read the manual, and don’t think that Google or AI Chat knows everything!

Last edited:

Mattyboy

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
I had already self reported my own first post..requesting the mistaken/misread value of the fuse at 3 amps to be changed to 315 Mili amps.

I agree for safety reasons that this should be done please.

Gray

Wayne : You think I'm a gullible person. You also don't actually know anything about me either.
I'm attempting to break this fact to you gently Matty.
If he didn't think you were gullible, he would be the only one.

Nobody here knows you as a person, of course they don't.
You've stated that a fuse has changed the sound of your CDP. That's what everyone here knows about you.
With maximum respect, my opinion is that you have been misguided.

If you think otherwise, why not ask the direct question of others?
Do they think you're gullible or misguided?
In fact, there's the facility to put it to a poll.

I had already self reported my own first post..requesting the mistaken/misread value of the fuse at 3 amps to be changed to 315 Mili amps.

I agree for safety reasons that this should be done please.
Acknowledged,
However it is difficult to edit when the manufacturer themselves seem to have two different versions of fuse in common use.
i will therefore close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts