Mystery Hifi equipment??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have recently found some hifi separates that my dad had stored in the loft, which I had no idea we had.

Now the reason for posting is that I know very little about the equipment and am finding internet searches fairly fruitless.

I would like to know basically if the separates are any good, and if so, what speakers would best match them.

My find consists of:

Denon PMA-300V amplifier

Denon DCD-620 CD player

Any information no matter how minor would be really useful, and please still leave a comment if you think these components are a waste of time sound wise, as ive got nothing to lose by knowing.

Thanks for reading

idc

The Denon PMA amps have usually rated well, not sure about the CDPs though. My thought is that for a loft find and a first step on the ladder they will be very good. Have you looked on ebay to see if any others are being sold and how much for? That would at least give you an idea as to demand, where demand = a good product.

A

Anonymous

If the DCD-620 is a mid-1980s model (as the name seems to suggest) then it might be one of several models whose performance could be kept on top form by tuning some internal potentiometers, perhaps annually, making it less harsh-sounding and more musical. This adjustment would have to be done by someone competent to work with the electrical and laser hazard that running the CD player with the case off entails.

If I am right then it might well be worth keeping, since I have yet to hear a budget CD player whose rhythmic performance matches that of the mid-eighties' Denon DCD300, and dimly remembered reviews of some of its Denon contemporaries, such as the DCD-1520, tend to suggest that this was a brand-wide characteristic at the time.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for the replys and info guys. Seems I will keep them for a bit then and perhaps look to get some speakers for them.

I was looking to get the Marantz PM/CD 6003 combo with wharfedale 10.1 speakers for my bedroom (5mx5m), any ideas how this setup would compare to my loft find?

Any more opinions would be welcome.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS