Mysterious Problem - 12 Ipod docks damaged

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gluglu said:
can a high quality, fast signal 320 kbps damage any component? like a DAC or crossover?

I think what was meant was if you're playing music with heavy bass at high volumes on small dock systems that aren't designed for it you might be destroying the speakers through abuse.

gluglu

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks The_Lhc
But to answer you, no i dont go above 60-70 % and my tracks are regular tracks with no particular emphasis on any frequency. even so how can it damage all my stereo system in such a small time span? even my car's! i mean i did a cd with 18 tracks 320kbps, and i inserted it to play it in the cars slot, what happened is that i couldnt skip above track 3, a first in my experience. and all of these tracks are ones i recently downloaded from 7Digital. i have played hundred of cds on my cars stereo, never had an issue. i can't think of any reason besided that its the tracks thats the problem, but as you see the experts are saying that no tracks can do such a thing.

gluglu

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
okay guys , no more opinion or suggestions on that case?

i think i will drown in this uncertainty forever and never listen to music again..

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry Lucien it probably sounds like we are not being helpful but I do not think any of us have ever come across your problem before, and since it is impossible for you to demonstrate the phenomena to us, I doubt we are ever going to be able to offer really constructive help beyond random conjecture. Internet forums are good for solving some things remotely but not others.

gluglu

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Thank you MF. you mean that it would help you to actually "hear" the speakers?

I was reading the other day about EMI and EMP elctromagnetic interference/pulse. Do you think it can be related to that?

I have a general question: which part of the speaker can cause the sound to become as i describe it? (Hollow, deep vocals, gap between low end and midrange, muffled and not extrovert.)

thanks a lot for understanding

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
gluglu said:
Thank you MF. you mean that it would help you to actually "hear" the speakers?

I was reading the other day about EMI and EMP elctromagnetic interference/pulse. Do you think it can be related to that?

I have a general question: which part of the speaker can cause the sound to become as i describe it? (Hollow, deep vocals, gap between low end and midrange, muffled and not extrovert.)

thanks a lot for understanding

Physical damage caused by being played too loud by low-powered amps that are being pushed beyond their clipping-points.

gluglu

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks MF.

i have set up a meeting with an audio engineer for later this week.

over the phone he suggested that the crossover of the unit MIGHT be the reason, and that based on how i described the sound to him.

I understood what you said earlier : "Physical damage caused by being played too loud by low-powered amps that are being pushed beyond their clipping-points.", but what i actually meant was that which other part (than the speaker (baffle)) can be the reason to such a sound? for example, the DAC, crossover, board etc. ( i'm not expert, so appologies if i am not employing the corret sound terminology)

Let me know your opinion on that.

Regards

gluglu

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Dear All posters:

i would like to thank you all for your previous responses.

today i am going to purchase a home cinema from b&w including the cm10 and others..

I hope that i wont face the same problem that i had for the previous years..

In light of that, and before i take any further steps, i would like to know if anyone of you had came across anything related to my case during this time?

I would highly appreciate any further diagnosis or recommendations to avoid and diagnose my issue.

Best regards,

Lucien

gluglu

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
he suspected that it was the crossover thats beeing damaged, alhough he's not sure why.

he also suggested that it might be due to high bit rate and excess voltage, although he's not pretty sure cz what im playing through is the universal mp3 format.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts