MYRYAD MXI2080 or ROKSAN K2 for ATC SCM7

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone please help on this? Saw the review for ATC SCM11, and as it is mentioned in the review, it suggest use amp with at least 100w/channel.

For MXI2080, it has only 80w/channel, however it looks MUCH better than Roksan K2, and this is the only reason keep me away from the K2. Another thing is ATC SCM11 is bigger than SCM 7,but someone said the smaller speaker is even hard to drive, not sure if MXI2080 can handle it well.

Any comments will be appreciated.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

emotion-6.gif
...anyone own a MXI2080 or ATC 7? Really need some advice.

A

Anonymous

Oh come on K2 doesn't look bad at all! I quite like the modern tech look :) And the remote is bada$$.

Kevinz:

Can anyone please help on this? Saw the review for ATC SCM11, and as it is mentioned in the review, it suggest use amp with at least 100w/channel.

For MXI2080, it has only 80w/channel, however it looks MUCH better than Roksan K2, and this is the only reason keep me away from the K2. Another thing is ATC SCM11 is bigger than SCM 7,but someone said the smaller speaker is even hard to drive, not sure if MXI2080 can handle it well.

Any comments will be appreciated.
emotion-1.gif

Hi KevinZ

The MXI2080 and K2 amplifiers have power which is sufficiently potent to work with ATC's SCM7 or SCM11 models. As long as you are not intending to play the amplifiers constantly at disco like levels than it will be fine.

For the last few years now i have often used a modestly priced 50w/ch integrated amplifier to demonstrate ATC SCM7, SCM11, SCM19 and SCM40 speakers. It is not the greatest amplifier in terms of the quality of power or performance however this amplifier has happily got on with it's job without suffering from a nervous breakdown or a heart attack.
emotion-1.gif
The amplifier driving the various ATC speakers has quite happily filled the store with sound without reaching clipping.
emotion-2.gif

I have used and have customers that use the classic NAD 3020 amplifier which is around 20w/h with ATC speakers and yet again no issues about lack of power, performance or breakdowns of the 3020 or the ATC speakers.

The ATC's low distortion levels will allow your components to breathe and therefore allow their qualities to shine through.

If you can afford and can accomodate the SCM11's than go for it as they are significantly better than the SCM7's.

Btw, when it is done properly than the lower it distorts the more natural it sounds.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Wow, thank you Rick for your kind relpy
emotion-1.gif
, really appreciated.

As the MXI2080 is on sale here, the price is even lower than the Roksan K2, and looks better (my personal taste) than K2, I will probably go for it. But, as ATCs always require Big amp to push it to give the best, My major concern is compare MXI 2080 with Kandy K2 , will K2 have a better control of the sound (since it is rate at 125W)? and have more vivid details or 2080 can do the job in the same level. (base on ATC 7) . Thanks
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I can appreciate you comments about ATC speakers requiring a big amp to power them. The internet sites seem to be full of it.

I
got caught up in this loop a year ago when I went to listen to a s/h
pair of ATC' s at a dealer in Glasgow. He was very uncomplimentary
about my Cyrus amps and said they wouldnt drive ATC. Like a red rag to
a bull-- I didnt give him any business.

I have had a mis-spent
youth in Broadcast Engineering. Ive heard all makes of speakers, Ive
blown up a few tweeters and laterly I was specifying,designing and
buying product for major installations.

The ATC speakers are a
superb product. They are designed by engineers to produce sound as
close as they can to the original - and they make an excellent job of
doing just that.-- Not engineers directed to produce product by their
Sale Managers.

They do not need a BIG amp to do that. Their sensitivity is in
line with the better product from B&W and KEF. The power needed is
closely related to the listening room size and I presume you are not
trying to fill a hall. 1 watt into an ATC will produce a sound level
of 85 db 1metre away them in free space. but its not all about Power.
I don't want to bore you with techspeak but peak current capability and
damping factor of the amp are very important parameters that few
manufacturers specify and you average HI Fi sales person or internet
commentator understand. You mention the K2 will have better control.
IMO Control is primarily influenced by the damping factor not power.

I have a pair of ATC scm 40's driven by Cyrus APA7 amplifiers,
about 8 yrs old. power output is 150 watt. My listening room is about 7
metres long by 3.5 wide. I have absolutely no problems driving the
ATC's.

I would strongly suggest that you go to a good ATC dealer
and listen to the speakers. He should have a selection of amps you can
try, or better still take your own, I do not consider you will have any
problem with either of the amps you are considering.

On a personal basis I would opt for the Roksan because it gives you some future proofing but If looks and budget are important you will be OK with the MX12080 but most importantly get rid of these false statements about ATCs and power.

You could come and listen to my Cyrus amps driving my ATC's but I'm up in bonnie Scotland.

If I can help you in any way let me know

Ian2mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts