My work in progress

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Just got home from an overnight stopover after going to a gig last night. the wife is working away this weekend so i've got the place to myself, which means i get to put a few hours on the new amp & cd player :)
hopefully i can come up with some descriptive words for you. (y)
I was taking the 'rise' if I had my dream amp, probably Accuphase, I would be swinging from the lampshades and arranging a street party....

As that's not going to happen in the foreseeable....

here's a snippet from today.
amp takes about an hour to warm up then sounds dramatically better.
soundstage is huge, way wider than the speakers and engulfs you , even at reasonably sensible levels. seriously went to answer the front door as id heard a low boom from way to my right, nobody there, it was the soundstage! :)
clarity and detail are amazing, listening to one particular track, you could here the snare wires on the drum. incredible.
really does make poorly recorded stuff sound very good, vocals are clearer and distinct.
there really isn't one downside, it just excels everywhere.
i'm slowly working my way through my cd collection, enjoying every minute. :)
the difference it has made to the speakers is incredible. its changed their presentation completely,

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
here's a snippet from today.
amp takes about an hour to warm up then sounds dramatically better.
soundstage is huge, way wider than the speakers and engulfs you , even at reasonably sensible levels. seriously went to answer the front door as id heard a low boom from way to my right, nobody there, it was the soundstage! :)
clarity and detail are amazing, listening to one particular track, you could here the snare wires on the drum. incredible.
really does make poorly recorded stuff sound very good, vocals are clearer and distinct.
there really isn't one downside, it just excels everywhere.
i'm slowly working my way through my cd collection, enjoying every minute. :)
the difference it has made to the speakers is incredible. its changed their presentation completely,

I've read some of your posts, false starts and failed ebay buys over the last few months and weeks and I'm over joyed for you, I couldn't be happier if they where on my rack.

Do you think there is a synergy between the amp and cdp? how do you think the Meriden would compare?

Your comments on the soundstage, well I can relate, if you want better speakers buy a better amp.

I've read some of your posts, false starts and failed ebay buys over the last few months and weeks and I'm over joyed for you, I couldn't be happier if they where on my rack.

Do you think there is a synergy between the amp and cdp? how do you think the Meriden would compare?

Your comments on the soundstage, well I can relate, if you want better speakers buy a better amp.

the Meridian is definitely a safer sound, it goes deep with bass but doesn’t push the treble so much. It sounds smooth and luxurious.

not sure about there being a synergy with the amp and cd, but my comments and thoughts are describing them both as a whole, rather than two individual components. Having only had them a few days I’m still getting used to them too. But the sound quality of the CD Player is undeniable. It has made every disc I’ve put in there sound very musical, even discs where in the past they have sounded a bit flat and lifeless.

the biggest struggle for me over the last 12 months has been getting the speakers to sound right. thet are ridiculously fussy regarding positioning, and never really sounded as good as I imagined they would. with the tweaks I’ve done and the placement I’ve found they now sound alright. As a product I wouldn’t recommend them at all, they are just too much hard work to get sounding right. It’s a shame because I love the way they look, and with certain types of music they are amazing.

Reactions: WayneKerr

WayneKerr

Agree but that doesn't mean something else may be preferable or work better.
Agreed. "Synergy" is in the ear of the beholder so is an individual preference, not a magic wand as some would believe. We all "hear" differently so what sounds good to one won't necessarily sound good to another, evidence of this has been seen so many times on here.

Personally, I prefer to keep things simple with matched kit designed to work well together, my preference. Think bigfish is along the same lines, which I can fully understand and appreciate. Mark him happy and contented I reckon :)

Reactions: bigfish786
Agreed. "Synergy" is in the ear of the beholder so is an individual preference, not a magic wand as some would believe. We all "hear" differently so what sounds good to one won't necessarily sound good to another, evidence of this has been seen so many times on here.

Personally, I prefer to keep things simple with matched kit designed to work well together, my preference. Think bigfish is along the same lines, which I can fully understand and appreciate. Mark him happy and contented I reckon :)

in general i've had matching amp and cd. in the past i've had Arcam and Marantz pairings. when i had the Leema amp i used that with a Rega Apollo and then a Moon Equinox. i don't recall any of them sounding anything but great.
its only been since buying these bloody Triangle speakers that synergy has been an issue, though the more time i spend with them, i think its more a setup issue than synergy.
after a few more tweaks today, i got the bubble level out and spent some time levelling them up which has helped again. i still maintain, these speakers are very fussy about positioning, and setup. get them right and they sound fab, anything but spot on, and you begin to wonder what has happened.

Reactions: WayneKerr
I did list the speakers in sheer frustration at them. I’ve persisted with them and have got them sounding as good as I can.
yeah, there are lamps on top of the speakers. Not hurting anything. Nowhere else for them really.

I did list the speakers in sheer frustration at them. I’ve persisted with them and have got them sounding as good as I can.
yeah, there are lamps on top of the speakers. Not hurting anything. Nowhere else for them really.
If they don't sound the dogs (or as good as you initially imagined) with your amp and sources, nothing will. And all this has come at a eye watering cost.

I think you are hi-fi drunk. Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing, where you can't decipher the sonic wood from the trees., if that garbage makes sense.

I have small photo on each of my speakers. But it's a cunning plan to prevent the moggy from any ambitions.

If they don't sound the dogs (or as good as you initially imagined) with your amp and sources, nothing will. And all this has come at a eye watering cost.

I think you are hi-fi drunk. Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing, where you can't decipher the sonic wood from the trees., if that garbage makes sense.

I have small photo on each of my speakers. But it's a cunning plan to prevent the moggy from any ambitions.

interesting thoughts.
I’ve tried the speakers with 4 different amps and 4 different cd players in the last few months.
the speakers have exhibited the same behaviour with all. Slightly light in bass and struggle a little with fast heavy music. These have been at a relatively low volume, once turned up these behaviours disappear, and they come to life. The quality is there, but I can’t listen at high level’s constantly.
The benefit of the luxman amp is the loudness setting for low level listening which I have used quite a bit and it’s very effective.
the other amp’s didn’t have this feature.
I see the money spent as money invested. It’s not so eye watering considering it will probably last me over 20 years. It’s only money. And life is for living 😊
Come the autumn the ‘wam will be rolling into Barnsley so I’m going to spend a lot of time at the show listening to lots of different setups and I’ll see how mine compares (in a general kind of way) this may help me decide whether I’m going to stick with the speakers or upgrade at some stage.
id love to hear some Sonus Faber to see if they sound as good as they look.
I’d also like to try the Focal Sopra 3.

interesting thoughts.
I’ve tried the speakers with 4 different amps and 4 different cd players in the last few months.
the speakers have exhibited the same behaviour with all. Slightly light in bass and struggle a little with fast heavy music. These have been at a relatively low volume, once turned up these behaviours disappear, and they come to life. The quality is there, but I can’t listen at high level’s constantly.
The benefit of the luxman amp is the loudness setting for low level listening which I have used quite a bit and it’s very effective.
the other amp’s didn’t have this feature.
I see the money spent as money invested. It’s not so eye watering considering it will probably last me over 20 years. It’s only money. And life is for living 😊
Come the autumn the ‘wam will be rolling into Barnsley so I’m going to spend a lot of time at the show listening to lots of different setups and I’ll see how mine compares (in a general kind of way) this may help me decide whether I’m going to stick with the speakers or upgrade at some stage.
id love to hear some Sonus Faber to see if they sound as good as they look.
I’d also like to try the Focal Sopra 3.
I would suggest leaving the hi-fi switched off for a few days. This gives your brain/ears a chance to reset. I've done this in the past and you can hear it in a different light -- I believe you've overdosed on hi-fi over recent months (hi-fi drunk).

Also there's always going to be a element of compromise regardless how much much money you chuck at it to try and remedy the foibles.

As it stands you are a dealers/sellers dream. I'm the opposite: I'm a thorn in their side, a tickle in their collective throats....😁

Gray

...we all know that greener grass is available - and always will be.
Sensible and / or skint people have found contentment.

Said it before but I changed a stylus for a biddy in an old people's home.
You wouldn't give her a tenner for her system.
The musical enjoyment that woman got from her limited record collection.....beyond what £1000s achieves for many, believe me.
She listened to the music, without regard for the equipment.

Last edited:
...we all know that greener grass is available - and always will be.
Sensible and / or skint people have found contentment.

Said it before but I changed a stylus for a biddy in an old people's home.
You wouldn't give her a tenner for her system.
The musical enjoyment that woman got from her limited record collection.....beyond what £1000s achieves for many, believe me.
She listened to the music, without regard for the equipment.
I'm pretty sensible and skint at the moment.

It's all about managing expectations IMO.

I've just built my system around the amp, as a football team will build around their star player. As a consequence it's paid in spades, and goes way beyond my expectations -- not perfect but it ticks every one of my boxes and some...

The only expectation I had was that the speakers would produce plenty of bass. Having 6 bass drivers between them I thought that was a given.
my plans were to slowly build up to the luxman or accuphase through upgrades over several years, I’ve just jumped a few steps. I’m genuinely happy with the way things are right now, but that isn’t necessarily going to stop me wondering about other options. I had a little listen to an Avid Volvere SP with an SME IV arm and Nagaoka MP500. That sounded great. I had seen them before, and now I’ve heard one I may well buy one myself. It’s a piece of engineering and art that has sublime sound. It may take a while, but if the opportunity arises, I’ll have a go. Not taking anything away from the Marantz, but if I can get something that gives me pride of ownership along with the performance then why not?
same goes with speakers. If an opportunity arises, I’ll consider it. 😊

The only expectation I had was that the speakers would produce plenty of bass. Having 6 bass drivers between them I thought that was a given.
my plans were to slowly build up to the luxman or accuphase through upgrades over several years, I’ve just jumped a few steps. I’m genuinely happy with the way things are right now, but that isn’t necessarily going to stop me wondering about other options. I had a little listen to an Avid Volvere SP with an SME IV arm and Nagaoka MP500. That sounded great. I had seen them before, and now I’ve heard one I may well buy one myself. It’s a piece of engineering and art that has sublime sound. It may take a while, but if the opportunity arises, I’ll have a go. Not taking anything away from the Marantz, but if I can get something that gives me pride of ownership along with the performance then why not?
same goes with speakers. If an opportunity arises, I’ll consider it. 😊
I would listen to some Dali Epicon floorstanders. If my little Rubis are anything to go by, the Epicons should have wall shaking bass.

yes, they are on the list to try out.
heard them last weekend at low level, but liked what I heard.
I love Dali based on my little'uns.

Wouldn't rule out Monitor Audio Platinum floorstanders either. I know some people might snigger, but having heard the entry-level PL100s, they are incredibly capable.

Personally these Triangles would drive me mad. The above speakers are far easier to amp match....

I admire your perseverance. I would have flung them out the door long before now, and I'm a hugely patient person.

you could tell there was quality sound locked up inside them, it was just a matter of cracking the code to unlock all that they promised.
spike height, positioning, level, distance from rear wall, all need to be spot on. Get them all right and they sound fab. This on top of replacing a dodgy midrange driver, and removing some of the wadding from inside that was blocking the port, it’s taken a lot of effort. But I’m there now. 👍😊😊

you could tell there was quality sound locked up inside them, it was just a matter of cracking the code to unlock all that they promised.
spike height, positioning, level, distance from rear wall, all need to be spot on. Get them all right and they sound fab. This on top of replacing a dodgy midrange driver, and removing some of the wadding from inside that was blocking the port, it’s taken a lot of effort. But I’m there now. 👍😊😊
Haha... see if I had a faff around with height of spikes and removing unwanted wadding on speakers of that price, I would be in a straight jacket long before now.

Just enjoy your bundles before that urge kicks in again. 😋🙂

Reactions: bigfish786
Haha... see if I had a faff around with height of spikes and removing unwanted wadding on speakers of that price, I would be in a straight jacket long before now.

Just enjoy your bundles before that urge kicks in again. 😋🙂
[/QUOTE

I’ve managed to squeeze a few hours in so far this week, trying a range of different CD albums and I’m very happy with how things are performing now.
trying to just sit back, relax and take it all in.

I must admit, I’ve played a couple of my wife’s Evanescence albums and they have blown me away. Absolutely haunting vocals.
😊

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts