My TV Reckie (Sp...?) - General Pub Bore Musings Herein - Love to Hear Opinions!!!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I went mainly to look at plasmas, as i notice theyre getting smaller (ok, nominally), theyre reasonably priced in some cases, and some myths about them have been exploded by WHFS&V in recent times. I asked to see a plasma with just SD content. Now, it was a 50" and ill only want a 32 - 37 (32 plasma? i hear you cry - yeah, i know - but theres a panny 37" id consider if i see one in the flesh and like it - i forget the model) and i was less than half a metre away (no way around that im afraid), and was impressed, compared to an lcd showing SD content. Something else occured to me while i was there too - a mate of mine rekons lcds will get better at showing SD pics "in a couple of years". I dont. I think the hope (the idustries hope anyway)is that HD will become more common, so the SD question will become irrelevant. I hope he's right, but suspect i am. What does anyone think...? Apart from "make sense man!, i mean).

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
LG make a 32"" Plaz but it is absolutely PAP and not enen HD READY with a screen resolution of 640x480 and should be avoided like the plague. The 37"" offering from Panasonic is a fantastic little set but if memory serves me well Panasonic have recently anounced that they will nolonger be making 37"" Plasma sets but if you act swiftly you should still be able to get one.

A

Anonymous

I think in time HD will become more the norm, but the question is how long will that take? Sky is charging £10 per month for the privilege. (plus set up cost) Although many on here will, I won't pay for that. It is very much chicken and egg. At the moment there are not enough channels to watch on HD for me to justify the extra expense.

Trouble is, unless more people start buying the HD equipment in the millions, the broadcasters won't feel the need to make more HD programmes.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Cheers! Well thats a dissapointment - i thought the trend was to smaller plasmas - or at least i hoped thats where things were going. i know they say it shouldnt be a choice between plasma and lcd (and based on budget and size needs, it cant be anyway), but having seen a Panny plasma in standard def, im pretty sure i prefer plasma. Any thoughts on the short - medium term future of TVs would be interesting to read, by the way folks!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="D.J.KRIME"]LG make a 32"" Plaz but it is absolutely PAP and not enen HD READY with a screen resolution of 640x480 and should be avoided like the plague. The 37"" offering from Panasonic is a fantastic little set but if memory serves me well Panasonic have recently anounced that they will nolonger be making 37"" Plasma sets but if you act swiftly you should still be able to get one.[/quote]

According to Clare, Panasonic are bringing out a new 37" Plasma after March 1st. Don't know if that is going to be the last one though.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Very Annoyed - i agree - i wont pay that either, and i dont know how thatd effect my package, as i only have the two channel mix and, frankly, would be happy with just the one. I was briefly very excited about the SD-HD upscaling of the Sky HD box, but then a couple peole suggested it was largely an excercise in polishing a bit of dog mess! That is to say, squeezing extra lines in artificially, in the way that i gather some lossy sound formats fill in the missing frequencies with "noise". Or am i talking piffle...?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Very Annoyed"]
[quote user="D.J.KRIME"]LG make a 32"" Plaz but it is absolutely PAP and not enen HD READY with a screen resolution of 640x480 and should be avoided like the plague. The 37"" offering from Panasonic is a fantastic little set but if memory serves me well Panasonic have recently anounced that they will nolonger be making 37"" Plasma sets but if you act swiftly you should still be able to get one.[/quote]

According to Clare, Panasonic are bringing out a new 37" Plasma after March 1st. Don't know if that is going to be the last one though.

[/quote]

Well if thats a reasonable price i may have to invest earlier than i intended. Do either of you know the current panny 37" model name...?

A

Anonymous

Panasonic TH37PX70.

You can pick them up for as low as £649

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thank Ye kind sir! have you got one...? If so may i ask how far you sit from it and how it performa with SD in your eyes...? Im going to try and see one this week. 32 is the best size for me really but im willing to go 37 for that set if it performs well enough.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
You will find the current range of Panasonic Plasmas here http://www.panasonic.co.uk/plasma-tv/index.htm
How far from the set do you intend sitting?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks again. Im going to check out a shop where i think they have one tommorrow. Really, i shouldnt be getting one until later in the year, but it might be one of those "what the hell" days.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
In another thread, someone says how you should just concentrate on picture quality when buying, as HDMI's and the like can be added later. But can they? What i mean is, do these devices which add extra connectivity externally, as it were, give the real, fully functional macCoy, or something that will not quite get you there - like anything (so i hear - but i know nuffink!) that "upscales" SD to HD...?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts