Panasonic 42V20 solves what TV dilema!

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Just bought a Panasonic 42V20 this weekend.

My wife and I have been looking for a TV to replace my ancient Sony 32" Wega CRT for several months. I am a senior engineer in post production company and my wife is a film editor. Between us, with the exception of the Pioneer 500s which my wife generally requests for work and I use at mine, no LCD/Plasma TV has come close to satisfying our extensive PQ requirements.

I have spent days trawling through umpteen magazine + website reviews, going to John Lewis, Richer sounds, Currys etc, etc to try to find a replacement. I had shortlist after shortlist - but when we eventually saw them 'in the flesh' none had come close to making us want to part with our hard earned cash.

Just to give you an idea of our critial evaluations, the 40" Philips 9704 + 37" 9604, 40" samsung c7000, b8000, b7020, sony hx/nx703 all failed to pass our viewing tests. All were subject to fairly extensive viewing - and fiddling with 'shop' modes when possible.

Through much evaluation we both preferer the look of Plasma pictures, despite current trends towards LED tech. It helps that we both have the Pioneer Kuros for reference. We watch lots of films, and a bit of TV. No football - though I will make an exception for the World Cup!

We had seen and been impressed by the 50VT20, though 3D support is not really of much interest to us - until it is viewable without the ridiculous glasses that is. More to the point the 2D images we saw were excellent. The only downsides were it was both too expensive, and too big. It looked good off, too.

Call me superficial, but I have to say most Panasonic have left we decidedly underwhelmed as far as the stying goes. I was wowed by the beautiful new sony monoliths and nearly placed an order pre-release 'assuming' they would have great PQ. Wrong! My wife and I went to see a NX+HX703 as soon as they were on display in a nearby Sony center, and were quite frankly shocked by their medioce images. Ironically my parents have just upgraded thier old CRT to a Sony HX703 and are wondering why many pictures look 'all blurry'. Now they are having to buy SKY HD to give them HQ source they were probably shown on the shop floor.

So thats the history pre-purchace, which I imagine will not be dissimilar to many prospective 'upgraders'. Being a technician means I can humour salesmen by pretending I dont know anything, but infact let then dig holes for themselves. Needless to say I have found many more expert opinions on the web. There is so much marketing hype and misinformation these days I would hate to be Joe Public - though if you are happy with your purchace then I suppose it is a non-issue.

So am I happy with my purchace? I wasted no time in watching some films this weekend, and I can say a resounding YES! The strengths are obvious. Blacks are blacker than a black hole. Colours are rich and detailed. Motion is smooth. Contrast is outstanding. In fact, you may be suprised to learn I do not own a bluray player - though it is next on the list. I watched Michael Clayton on BBCHD Freesat last night and it looked stunning. I cant wait to watch some high bitrate HD! I have not calibrated it yet, just using the THX preset - but definitely will do.

On a slightly less positive note, SD transmissions looked ok, but then again it looks better than anything I else we have seen, so that's not really a failing of the TV, only the content. Upscaled DVDs from my denon 1940 look pretty good.

I cant comment on the sound as I use a B+W / Denon AV setup, but the youtube app is useful, havent tried the other Viera cast apps yet. Also I didn't realize it came with a wireless dongle. Result!

All in all this is a great TV and as far as I am concerened is peerless in the current saturated flat screen market below £2000. Given the price I paid (£1179 w/ 5yr warranty) it is also a bargain.

I look forward to seeing what the what-hi fi team make of it, but considering nobody seems to have stock it might be some time......

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Glad to see you are happy with your choice and IMHO a plasma was the only way to go as I am yet to see any LCD TV that does not make the image have that "fake" feel to it.

Having read through your post I note that your very well qualified to coment on a TVs proformance and also that you are yet to properly calibrate your TV so my question to you is what equipment/software do you use? I use colorHCFR and a spyder3 and have managed to get my Samsung Plasma very near to a perfect D65 above 20IRE (the spyder is not very good under 20IRE) and also not too far away from 6500K.

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Good post - thanks
emotion-21.gif

It did make me chuckle too, the image of a post prod engineer and a film editor listening intently to the happy smiley Curry's bod trying to bamboozle you with utter nonsense - I'd like to have seen that
emotion-11.gif

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Very nice post markyd
emotion-21.gif

Glad to hear you found a TV that suits your needs.

I really liked your considerations and research, you have definately done your homework!

I am also looking forward to the WHF verdict on this TV.

A

Anonymous

It looks like a detailed and very good review personal review ..

i m not having much time to be here but i found beside Big Boss post (about the panasonic law suit) theres a lack of comments , very few posts refering to Panasonic issues , weekness ....

I was in fact one of those that was going to buy Panasonic set (50v10/v20/vt20 or g20 ) and pay a little premium price to get the best PQ ... ( but i want that this qualities that make me spend a little more to get the best to remain over time .....)

3 things that make me "step back" by order :

1 - black levels rise

2 - floating blacks

3 - Design / thickness (this is the one of the less important i know , g20 is aceptable/ v20 not consensual / vt20 cant understand the design , that frame is .... no comments .. prefered 10 times the 50v10 ) Connections facing towards the set (not good for wall mounting ). Could also point some phospor trailling that was reported in some expert reviews allegabli due to the new implement pana tec.

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, I have never calibrated a domestic monitor. The ones we use at work are broadcast spec Grade 1 CRT's which have thier own proprietary cal probes. A 24" Sony HD CRT cost £25000 when they stopped making them a couple of years ago, but I here even the BBC are now using domestic flat panels for some high end online work. It therefore makes sense to get my head around domestic monitor calibration now, so I think I will probably buy an X-rite eye-one. Having also bought new curtains (gotta make the wife happy) I might have to wait a bit for that purchace. I can use my saving time to reasearch the techniques!

CM7 - with regards to your concerns, I was aware of these issues. While there is no conclusive evidence as to whether the panels incorporate 'new' tech to stop the fading/rising black problems, initial feedback seems positive. It's far to early to know if the levels will rise, but we dont watch that much TV so hopefully those affects, if any, will be minimised. Regarding the floating blacks, I've not noticed any yet - maybe I'm not looking for them!

As for the appearence - I never was a fan of the Pana designs, but I think the v20 looks pretty nice in the flesh. Thickness wise, it's relatively slim - for a Plasma, and I like the metal-effect bezel more than the black. Horses for courses.

As far as Currys goes, it's convienient. And big. I think I bought some filters for my water jug...

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
HIWAY Hi-fi Edgware RD.

He tried to say it was a 'web' price when I got there - and bump it up with the warranty.

Dont expect a demo - it was given very begrudgingly but I got one. Ironically on the 5yr Pana warranty , it states that one of the criteria is that the dealer has given a demo. Hmmm

Great to see your excellent review on opinion.

Perhaps this should be on a different thread but if you have a TV like this that has both FreeSat HD and FreeView HD tuners why do you only get one aerial in socket?

'Scuse my ignorance but what if I wanted to connect normal aerial / and or Sky box but also have the opportunity to connect to FreeSat (I have an old Sky dish going to waste you see)

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
The Satelite tuner has a dedicated threaded input. The Freeview comes in on a seperate UHF ariel input.

Im using a Humax FOXSAT-HDR (purchaced before TV was decided) via HDMI, but this could just as easily be a SKY box....

Cheers

Mark

A

Anonymous

I've last week received a 42v20 too which I have wall mounted. An excellent set it is, however the sound still could have been better for a premium screen, decent though it is - main lacking area being the woofer and the user EQ quality.

Picture is excellent and even SD broadcasts on freesat can look pretty good. HD is fantastic and even better are images from my Pioneer 320 blu-ray/DVD. Mine makes a slight humming noise at times which can vary channel to channel - oddly a little pressure on the right place on the back of the set can eliminate this. Not sure yet if it is a fault or just a design issue.

I paid £1299 from a local main Panasonic dealer, with 5 year warrantly. Whilst mine was on order I did see a price of £1139 from another non-main dealer store, however am happy with the fact I will have the best support if ever needed. Plus when spending >£1k, peace of mind is quite important.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts