my system

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
thanks. no surprises then.. hegel makes one of the best 'value' amps at the moment.. great sounding and bad looking.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Amps designed in Norway are all class

Sound quality most important

Yup but many seem to represent the design equivelant of a nordic night ... dark and slightly sinister.

They need to lighten up a little :)

Thinking of nordic, not much seems to be heard about the (Danish) Copland brand these days?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Cheers Rick! *scratch_one-s_head*

When I looked for reviews of the Big A I looked through lots of Scadinavian mags online. They have some stunning looking products normally designed beautifully.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I shouldn't really poke fun at them as cyrus cases have been made in Scandinavia for decade but they are smooth, perfectly formed ... and small ... a bit like me ... .

Well, one out of three is not bad.

Maybe none :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Compared to this kitchenware streamer...

rh_4_rowland.jpg

... the Hegel has legs.

HegelH160Girl.jpg

Any pics of this beastie's innards yet?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Hegel - their figures are incredible. Each one warrants it's own theme tune when announced or burst of thunder and lightning.

250watts@8ohm!

Those specs indeed lay the foundation of legend.....how real are they.

I've only heard the Hegels at the Bristol show and the high power claims don't compute with what I heard or expect a 150wpc+ to sound like.

Amazing how brands are made legend.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Hegel - their figures are incredible. Each one warrants it's own theme tune when announced or burst of thunder and lightning.

250watts@8ohm!

I've only heard the Hegels at the Bristol show and the high power claims don't compute with what I heard or expect a 150wpc+ to sound like.

hmm.. interesting. can u tell how you wanted to hear more watts? wasn't powerfull enough? ( btw, what speakers they had at bristol show?)

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
lpv said:
Thompsonuxb said:

250watts@8ohm!

hmm.. interesting. can u tell how you wanted to hear more watts? wasn't powerfull enough? ( btw, what speakers they had at bristol show?)

The amp was driving a pair of KEF LS50's.

I expected the amp to sound more like the Niam kit (amp name undisclosed) with Focal 906's - at the same show. Totally in control of the frequency spectrum/speakers - solid.

But I really wonder about the marke's power claims - like Roksans Kandy series their power ratings are outrageous. Yet the Caspian at less than half the rating sounds more robust.

Funnily enough the Technics amp and similar concept speakers (4star pieces) sounded more rounded than the 150wpc Hegel and even better the system driving some Harberth baby monitors - can't remember the name of the kit.

But this was under public show in hotel room conditions so maybe in q domestic setting the figures sound true.

But I can't help feeling these are some pmpo type ratings. I've heard 200watt power amps and these amps are not anywhere on this level of POOOOOWWWEEEEEERRRRR!

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Its a very interesting review of the amplifier, but comparing it to a game of Golf or Tiger Woods made my heart sink, golf is like watching paint dry..! However things improved considerably better when the reviewer compared the effects of the amplifier to the truly talented Messi (now that sets the imiganation going) but Cantona, er no (reviewer must be a Man Utd supporter) I would prefer someone like David Ginola..!*diablo*

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Power ratings aside, Primare I32 with media board....

I agree with the review, that the integrated amplifier is coming of age again, and we will see more products like this over the next year or so. Interesting times ahead.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Power ratings aside, Primare I32 with media board....

I agree with the review, that the integrated amplifier is coming of age again, and we will see more products like this over the next year or so. Interesting times ahead. 

In fairness David stereo amps are now just catching up with digital surround sound amps.

My old Yamaha came with built in DAC, optical and coax inputs, multi-channel inputs for SACD, a DSP, 5x90watts (in test it apparently delivered 67watts to 5 full range speakers driven with sub, which is not bad) and it's over 10yrs old.

Don't get me wrong I'm not comparing performance to this amp, just features - fact is 2channel amps have been lagging behind for years.

Not so long on this forum we were saying stereo amps need catching up.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:

[most amps ive owned in the past go very loud or almost full power on only 11 - 12 o clock on the volume knob but the hegel keeps it as it really so in 50 out of 99 its on 50% power
At first compared to ther amps it does not seem powerful as you need to turn up the volume more but then u realize how loud it is. Its just so low in distortion that you dont notice]

Many modern amps are attenuated poorly - delivering all their power at 9o'clock on the volume dial.

After that distortion....

But that's not what I mean.

It's the ability to kick music well clear of the speakers.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
lpv said:
Thompsonuxb said:

250watts@8ohm!

The amp was driving a pair of KEF LS50's.

I expected the amp to sound more like the Niam kit (amp name undisclosed) with Focal 906's - at the same show. Totally in control of the frequency spectrum/speakers - solid.

But I really wonder about the marke's power claims - like Roksans Kandy series their power ratings are outrageous. Yet the Caspian at less than half the rating sounds more robust.

Funnily enough the Technics amp and similar concept speakers (4star pieces) sounded more rounded than the 150wpc Hegel and even better the system driving some Harberth baby monitors - can't remember the name of the kit.

But this was under public show in hotel room conditions so maybe in q domestic setting the figures sound true.

But I can't help feeling these are some pmpo type ratings. I've heard 200watt power amps and these amps are not anywhere on this level of POOOOOWWWEEEEEERRRRR!

I have links to lab tests of two hegel amps ( non-english website) if you are interested and both amps reach claimed power.

Hegel amps are transparent and very detailed. I wouldn't pair it with Kef.. there are better speakers for Hegel.. ATC's are great match.. it's different sound signature than Naim.. it produce quick and honest sound.. and I like it.. but it's not an ultimate sound or best buy amp.. it's a good sounding amp but there are better options for the same money.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Don't get me wrong I'm not comparing performance to this amp, just features - fact is 2channel amps have been lagging behind for years.

Not so long on this forum we were saying stereo amps need catching up.
Adding digital inputs and a DAC to an amplifier isn't particularly expensive, as there are a growing number of hi-fi amps that have just that under £500, but the problem is that successfully incorporating digital circuitry into a high quality analogue two channel amplifier significantly adds to the cost - even if not physical cost, there's the cost of isolation, implementing it transparently etc. There's plenty of digital products out there whose sound quality is flawed - maybe flawed is a harsh word to use, but there's digital nasties, flat soundstages, etc etc.

I'm not sure that combining everything into one box is ultimately the best solution, but it is the way things seem to be going, particularly with the popularity of products like Cyrus' Lyric and Naim's Uniti systems, and non CD based systems like their Muso.

More so than the addition of digital circuitry to amplifiers, I'm more looking forward to the addition of bass management for the use of smaller speakers and sub/subs, as I think many people would take this route due to more people wanting space saving systems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts