my system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
drummerman said:
Hegel's look a little like the love child of Darth Vader and a Wheelie Bin :)

Hi drummerman

The main thing is that Hegel's products perform and in this respect they do so extremely well
shades_smile.gif
Don't judge a book by its cover
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
lpv said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Hegel - their figures are incredible. Each one warrants it's own theme tune when announced or burst of thunder and lightning.

250watts@8ohm!

Those specs indeed lay the foundation of legend.....how real are they.

I've only heard the Hegels at the Bristol show and the high power claims don't compute with what I heard or expect a 150wpc+ to sound like.

Amazing how brands are made legend.

hmm.. interesting. can u tell how you wanted to hear more watts? wasn't powerfull enough? ( btw, what speakers they had at bristol show?)

The amp was driving a pair of KEF LS50's.

I expected the amp to sound more like the Niam kit (amp name undisclosed) with Focal 906's - at the same show. Totally in control of the frequency spectrum/speakers - solid.

But I really wonder about the marke's power claims - like Roksans Kandy series their power ratings are outrageous. Yet the Caspian at less than half the rating sounds more robust.

Funnily enough the Technics amp and similar concept speakers (4star pieces) sounded more rounded than the 150wpc Hegel and even better the system driving some Harberth baby monitors - can't remember the name of the kit.

But this was under public show in hotel room conditions so maybe in q domestic setting the figures sound true.

But I can't help feeling these are some pmpo type ratings. I've heard 200watt power amps and these amps are not anywhere on this level of POOOOOWWWEEEEEERRRRR!

Again, you delude yourself into thinking your ears are some magical scientific device.

Independent testing done on proper measuring equipment.....
"Specified to produce 150Wpc into 8 ohms (21.75dBW) or 250Wpc into 4 ohms (21dBW), the H160 clipped (1% THD+N) at 175Wpc into 8 ohms (22.4dBW, fig.4) and 270Wpc into 4 ohms (21.3dBW, fig.5)."
The power claims by Hegel are valid and your sneering claims that border on libel are not.

Andrewjvt said:
When all you lot are taking selfies with your lovely shinny boxes, ill be listening to the new hegel h360 on demo hooked up to a set of ATC SMC 40S and i cant wait

Pleased you're listening to a amp you know.

First, I don't take selfies. Secondly, the Leema isn't shiney.

"When all you lot are taking selfies with your lovely shiney (note the spelling) boxes, ill (should be I'll) be listening to the new Hegel H360 on dem hooked up to set of ATC SMC40s** and i can't wait."

What was point of you saying all this? Are you expecting any of us to be impressed? Hi-fi is a money pit, and quite frankly I've better things to spend my money on at the moment.

No point making reference by my dem with the Tannoys - he'll do a deal which, hopefully, means once I've sold the PMCs, at worst I'll break even.

Little chance of me actually buying the Tannoys.

**Shouldn't that be 'SCM40' and not SMC?

Andrewjvt said:
plastic penguin said:
Andrewjvt said:
When all you lot are taking selfies with your lovely shinny boxes, ill be listening to the new hegel h360 on demo hooked up to a set of ATC SMC 40S and i cant wait

Pleased you're listening to a amp you know.

First, I don't take selfies. Secondly, the Leema isn't shiney.

"When all you lot are taking selfies with your lovely shiney (note the spelling) boxes, ill (should be I'll) be listening to the new Hegel H360 on dem hooked up to set of ATC SMC40s** and i can't wait."

What was point of you saying all this? Are you expecting any of us to be impressed? Hi-fi is a money pit, and quite frankly I've better things to spend my money on at the moment.

No point making reference by my dem with the Tannoys - he'll do a deal which, hopefully, means once I've sold the PMCs, at worst I'll break even.

Little chance of me actually buying the Tannoys.

**Shouldn't that be 'SCM40' and not SMC?

Once again youve missed the point so ill explain very carefully so not to offend you unintenionally.

The selfies was not even reffering to you but was a lighthearted joke aimed at the very nice Drummerman for saying my hegel looks like a son of darth vader and also a post about ugly abrahamsen amps. Its just a bit of fun which you choose to get involved in. It does not mean anything and is all in good fun. Ive also forgot you were looking at tannoy speakers so dont know what that was about. Nothing meant to be personal. Even my reply was ALL Tounge in cheek and i enjoy the banter. Just do t think everything is aimed at you or all about you.

I cant do smilys on this phone but did you not see the lols?? I hate having to put them in btw but people nowdays cant tell if your joking. Knowing your very sensitive ill be very careful in future replies to you as to not keep upsetting you all the time

Where in that post was there ref to Drummerman or Abrahamson? You already quoted DM previously. I just found that post of yours (the last one I replied to) very condescending.

Absolutely nothing wrong with my SOH - just found that a little out of order - or condescending.

But then again, if you want to blow £3500 on a bland, soulless looking amp that's your problem. Personally for that money I want a cracking sound and something that'll look half interesting. I find a half-opened tin of sardines more interesting to look at than a Hegel.

I think you are completely barking...

Were the Hegel designers drunk when they came up with that shape?*mosking*

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Jota180 said:
Thompsonuxb said:
lpv said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Hegel - their figures are incredible. Each one warrants it's own theme tune when announced or burst of thunder and lightning.

250watts@8ohm!

I've only heard the Hegels at the Bristol show and the high power claims don't compute with what I heard or expect a 150wpc+ to sound like.

hmm.. interesting. can u tell how you wanted to hear more watts? wasn't powerfull enough? ( btw, what speakers they had at bristol show?)

I expected the amp to sound more like the Niam kit (amp name undisclosed) with Focal 906's - at the same show. Totally in control of the frequency spectrum/speakers - solid.

But I really wonder about the marke's power claims - like Roksans Kandy series their power ratings are outrageous. Yet the Caspian at less than half the rating sounds more robust.

Funnily enough the Technics amp and similar concept speakers (4star pieces) sounded more rounded than the 150wpc Hegel and even better the system driving some Harberth baby monitors - can't remember the name of the kit.

But this was under public show in hotel room conditions so maybe in q domestic setting the figures sound true.

But I can't help feeling these are some pmpo type ratings. I've heard 200watt power amps and these amps are not anywhere on this level of POOOOOWWWEEEEEERRRRR!

Again, you delude yourself into thinking your ears are some magical scientific device.?

"Specified to produce 150Wpc into 8 ohms (21.75dBW) or 250Wpc into 4 ohms (21dBW), the H160 clipped (1% THD+N) at 175Wpc into 8 ohms (22.4dBW, fig.4) and 270Wpc into 4 ohms (21.3dBW, fig.5)." 
The power claims by Hegel are valid and your sneering claims that border on libel are not.

What??

Sneering claims?

Bordering on liable?

Where does all that come from Jota?

Just sharing what I heard at the show. I even said it may sound better in a domestic setting.

Not being funny but do you have shares in the company?

All I'm saying is I have heard 200watt amps driving home 'stereo' speakers and the Hegels to my ears lacked the 'snap' these no name amps could deliver.

The guy doing the presentation even made excuses for the speaker choice using 'only' when referring to the LS50's.

The Naim/Focal presenter was asking for requests!.....think he was using YouTube.

Oh....and think my ears are 'magical scientific devices'

No science regards my ears mister - maybe it's the measuring kit in the independent tests you need to consider is flawed.

Hegel are spending a load of cash to build a rep.......

I do this for free!

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Jota180 said:
Thompsonuxb said:
lpv said:
Thompsonuxb said:

250watts@8ohm!

Again, you delude yourself into thinking your ears are some magical scientific device.

"Specified to produce 150Wpc into 8 ohms (21.75dBW) or 250Wpc into 4 ohms (21dBW), the H160 clipped (1% THD+N) at 175Wpc into 8 ohms (22.4dBW, fig.4) and 270Wpc into 4 ohms (21.3dBW, fig.5)." The power claims by Hegel are valid and your sneering claims that border on libel are not.

What??

Sneering claims?

Bordering on liable?

Where does all that come from Jota?

Just sharing what I heard at the show. I even said it may sound better in a domestic setting.

Not being funny but do you have shares in the company?

All I'm saying is I have heard 200watt amps driving home 'stereo' speakers and the Hegels to my ears lacked the 'snap' these no name amps could deliver.

The guy doing the presentation even made excuses for the speaker choice using 'only' when referring to the LS50's.

The Naim/Focal presenter was asking for requests!.....think he was using YouTube.

Oh....and think my ears are 'magical scientific devices'

No science regards my ears mister - maybe it's the measuring kit in the independent tests you need to consider is flawed.

Hegel are spending a load of cash to build a rep.......

I do this for free!

Are you saying that the technical data for power output given by Hegel is flawed according to your ears?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
ifor said:
The knobs are too close together.

Okay - I'll make sure andrew and I are further apart.
Now PP thats a much better answer and rather funny, much better than having a pop at each other. You are passionate about your Pulse, Andrew about the Hegel. Ive owned a Pulse (yes I'm still living) And I happen to like very much the Hegel product. Both very good products, so can we all get along there enough **** happening in this world.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
iQ Speakers said:
plastic penguin said:
ifor said:

Now PP thats a much better answer and rather funny, much better than having a pop at each other. You are passionate about your Pulse, Andrew about the Hegel. Ive owned a Pulse (yes I'm still living) And I happen to like very much the Hegel product. Both very good products, so can we all get along there enough **** happening in this world.

I actually dont mind and rather enjoy the ragging about the looks.

Btw looking at the specs of the abrahamsen it possibly may be the 'pound for sound' best value amp on the market

I agree, I would also wager that anybody looking for an amp at around the price of the Abrahamsen who dares to listen to one will quickly forget about how it looks and just hand over the cash .*smile* *yes3* .

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Btw looking at the specs of the abrahamsen it possibly may be the 'pound for sound' best value amp on the market

I may be wrong but that dubious accolade probably belongs to Jungson's JA99D Integrated. At least it did when it came out at a price of around £1k (and 30kg in weight).

Mind, I'd rather have a washing machine sitting in my living room but it does make the Abrahamsen look sleek and sophisticated :)

drummerman said:
Andrewjvt said:

I may be wrong but that dubious accolade probably belongs to Jungson's JA99D Integrated. At least it did when it came out at a price of around £1k (and 30kg in weight).

Mind, I'd rather have a washing machine sitting in my living room but it does make the Abrahamsen look sleek and sophisticated :)

+1

And I believe it ran hotter than your average washing machine :)

plastic penguin said:

Hi plastic penguin

The design of Hegel products is simple and elegant. I like it and fwiw I don't recall any client who has made any negative comments about the design of Hegel products
thumbs_up.gif
Like I said before the main thing is that Hegel perform and in this respect they do so extremely well. Don't judge a book by its cover
regular_smile.gif

Anyway H360's have finally landed in the UK
shades_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Hi plastic penguin

The design of Hegel products is simple and elegant. I like it and fwiw I don't recall any client who has made any negative comments about the design of Hegel products Like I said before the main thing is that Hegel perform and in this respect they do so extremely well. Don't judge a book by its cover

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Fully appreciate you are a Hegel dealer, but "simple and elegent" aren't words that spring to mind.

For £2300 for the H160 and £3500 for the 360 I want an awful lot more than the aesthetics on the current models. For that money I would demand great sound and something that gives pride of ownership. The Hegels fall way below the latter.

The Leema isn't exactly pretty, but at least it is half-intersting to look at: The logo on the front facia just about gives it a focal point, and add the Christmas tree lights around the volume knob, plus the build quality and already the Leema is several brownie point up on any of the Hegels - and all for £750 brand new (factory sealed).

For Hegel money one could own a brand new Luxman or a s/hand Accuphase: Big dancing VU wattage meters....

Sorry Rick, Hegels don't tug my rug. *i-m_so_happy*

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Electro said:
Andrewjvt said:
iQ Speakers said:
plastic penguin said:
ifor said:

I actually dont mind and rather enjoy the ragging about the looks.

I agree, I would also wager that anybody looking for an amp at around the price of the Abrahamsen who dares to listen to one will quickly forget about how it looks and just hand over the cash .*smile* *yes3* .
Electro piced this comment up from the wam yesterday, "heard one today. It blew my socks off! Absolute audio excellence! I have never heard bass GRIP like it - it must be the huge capacitive reservoir. I think I am going to swap my Linn power amp (£3500 worth of Class D pleasure) for the Abrahamsen V4.0UP (just £900!)...."

Liked Andrews comment about damping factor and bass control.

Came close to trying a Jungson's JA99D Integrated think they look really good.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Hi plastic penguin

The design of Hegel products is simple and elegant. I like it and fwiw I don't recall any client who has made any negative comments about the design of Hegel products Like I said before the main thing is that Hegel perform and in this respect they do so extremely well. Don't judge a book by its cover

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Fully appreciate you are a Hegel dealer, but "simple and elegent" aren't words that spring to mind.

For £2300 for the H160 and £3500 for the 360 I want an awful lot more than the aesthetics on the current models. For that money I would demand great sound and something that gives pride of ownership. The Hegels fall way below the latter.

The Leema isn't exactly pretty, but at least it is half-intersting to look at: The logo on the front facia just about gives it a focal point, and add the Christmas tree lights around the volume knob, plus the build quality and already the Leema is several brownie point up on any of the Hegels - and all for £750 brand new (factory sealed).

For Hegel money one could own a brand new Luxman or a s/hand Accuphase: Big dancing VU wattage meters....

[/quote

I really do not understand your gripe with Hegel products. Simple and Elegant is a fair description of their looks, not only that they are well built and they seem to hit above their cost when it comes to sound quality. Infact for me they are the nordic equivalent to Naim Audio looking amps. All very minimalist (sorry no meters, christmas lights, tone or bass nobs..). Maybe Naim amps have that 'handsome' look and I do like their individul green indicators in the screen (eg on their CD's)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
Andrewjvt said:

It looks like a Samsung microwave....

Romulus said:
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Hi plastic penguin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

[/quote

I really do not understand your gripe with Hegel products. Simple and Elegant is a fair description of their looks, not only that they are well built and they seem to hit above their cost when it comes to sound quality. Infact for me they are the nordic equivalent to Naim Audio looking amps. All very minimalist (sorry no meters, christmas lights, tone or bass nobs..). Maybe Naim amps have that 'handsome' look and I do like their individul green indicators in the screen (eg on their CD's)

Don't have a gripe with Hegel. I've just stated that it's aesthetically challenged. As I've stated many times on here, I'm hard pushed to think of any modern amp you could class as visually pleasing, and that includes my sainted Leema. This is why on a couple of occasions I've toyed with idea of going back vintage amps.

As regards to SQ, I'll have to take the owners words that it is a cracking amp.

Don't see why I have to justify my post when hi-fi is so subjective.

Andrewjvt said:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thats great need to arrange a demo asap Get them atcs warmed up for a bite from the bull terrier

[/quote]

Hi Andrew

Sure thing
thumbs_up.gif
H360's are currently chilling at the couriers depot in Tamworth
shades_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts